Gibson Brands Forums

Was it Gibson, Fender or something else that got the wheels rolling?

Not-Too-Late

What was it that got you interested in playing? Was it a band, a particular player, or did your eyes sparkle at your first glimpse of one of those pretty guitars hanging in a store window?

I was just a kid of around 7 or 8 when I first picked up a guitar and started pickin' at it, but it wasn't until I heard the Ventures for the first that I developed a passion to play. I must have worn out my record, yes record, of "Walk Don't Run". I was hooked.

NTL,

LOL,

The first songs I learned on the guitar were "Walk Don't Run" and "Pipeline".

Started on guitar around about my 12th birthday.

We're probably around the same age. I was born B.C. (before cassettes)

Started playing piano at about two. Started getting payed for it at about two thirty. (bad joke)

Seriously I was around five when I realized that not everyone played music. (my first recital was at 4)

By 12 guitar just seemed sooo cool.

Besides, try taking a piano to your buddies for a jam session back then!

Willy

I was born B.C. (before cassettes)

Started playing piano at about two. Started getting payed for it at about two thirty. (bad joke)

Besides, try taking a piano to your buddies for a jam session back then!

Willy

Before cassettes (BC) . . . gotta remember that one HAHA!!

You have a good valid point regarding trying to haul a piano around to friend's homes. A few years before Fender came out with the Roads.

What was it that got you interested in playing? Was it a band, a particular player, or did your eyes sparkle at your first glimpse of one of those pretty guitars hanging in a store window?

I was just a kid of around 7 or 8 when I first picked up a guitar and started pickin' at it, but it wasn't until I heard the Ventures for the first that I developed a passion to play. I must have worn out my record, yes record, of "Walk Don't Run". I was hooked.

Seeing the Beatles when I was, like 12 or 13. Noticing the reaction of all the little girls as they played. Thinking, "Hey, I want me some of that!"

Note to aspiring young pickers: It doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes (see The Last Waltz--Robbie Robertson's telling of Ronnie Hawkins' relating the benefits of touring), but far from always for most of us.

One learns of the joys of simply playing.

I was a drummer for 10 years before I even picked up a guitar. And the main reason for that is because I wanted to write songs. I had played around on my brother's guitars a little, and he thought I had some talent, so he bought me an acoustic. But it wasn't until I bought my first electric guitar, about 4 1/2 years ago, that I became serious about playing the guitar.

This question is asked so often, I could almost tell you the stories of 20 or so members here on the forum. [biggrin]

This question is asked so often, I could almost tell you the stories of 20 or so members here on the forum. [biggrin]

Exactly, there's a huge thread on this in the Epi Lounge, where it's supposed to be, what this question has to do with Epi Electrics I'll never know. Far too many unrelated questions are in Epi Electrics these days, most of them belong in the Lounge, I'm even considering ignoring Electrics altogether because of these unrelated posts choking up the system.

Exactly, there's a huge thread on this in the Epi Lounge, where it's supposed to be, what this question has to do with Epi Electrics I'll never know. Far too many unrelated questions are in Epi Electrics these days, most of them belong in the Lounge, I'm even considering ignoring Electrics altogether because of these unrelated posts choking up the system.

+1

I just looked, and there has to be at least a half dozen topics that nothing to do with Epiphone electric guitars.

There's one about strings, and yep you're right, there's one about what inspired you to play.

I know it's a minor thing, but I agree with Rob. It seems to be happening quite a lot lately. And it often ends up with there being the same topic in different forums.

Again, a minor thing, but still, how hard is it to put only Epiphone ELECTRIC GUITAR related questions in the Epiphone Electric Guitar forum?

And put ALL OTHER TOPICS in the lounge. Or put them in the Amp/Accessories, Bass, or Acoustic forum.

Doesn't seem too hard to figure out to me...... [confused][biggrin]

+1

I just looked, and there has to be at least a half dozen topics that nothing to do with Epiphone electric guitars.

There's one about strings, and yep you're right, there's one about what inspired you to play.

I know it's a minor thing, but I agree with Rob. It seems to be happening quite a lot lately. And it often ends up with there being the same topic in different forums.

Again, a minor thing, but still, how hard is it to put only Epiphone ELECTRIC GUITAR related questions in the Epiphone Electric Guitar forum?

And put ALL OTHER TOPICS in the lounge. Or put them in the Amp/Accessories, Bass, or Acoustic forum.

Doesn't seem too hard to figure out to me...... [confused][biggrin]

Well I'm new around here and don't fully know the ropes. I'll keep that in mind in future. I sure hate to inconvenience anyone.

This is very strange. How did this thread just jump to the Gibson Lounge?

It was moved by a mod.

It was moved to the Epi lounge (from the Epi electrics), and then for some reason it was moved here. I don't know why. It should be in the Epi lounge.

I got a little toy guitar when I was 4. I really looked up to my guitar playing uncle at that time and my mom thought it would be cute to see us jamming together... of course being 4, I just banged on the strings and knew nothing of how to make any musical sound. It wasn't until about 10 years later I got my first real guitar and started to actually learn to play... my uncle still being a figure I looked up to a lot. I rarely see him now, but when we get the opportunity to get together a jam session is always sure to break out between us and any other relatives that care to join in... my mother's side are almost all musical to some extent.

As far as music that inspired me to learn, it was Guns N Roses (the real one not that Axle Rose solo project) AC/DC, Kiss, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Clapton and BB King. There's a huge list now, but that's what got me started.

Well, I knew I had to become a geetar player at a young age......so, I did......Actually, I clearly remember popping out of my mom holding a pick,

slapping the doctor, saying to my mom, " Hey, you don't look like me !!! ", grabbing the cutest six nurses, and getting the heck out of there.......

Wine, women, and song, have been my priority for years now........It surprises me, even though it shouldn't, how many members of the Gibby

and Epi Lounge turn out to be my children.........If they only knew.....

I was born in 1953 so I wasn't exposed to outside influences a lot before I started school. My Dad played Trumpet and had a small band that played around at the bars. The band used to come to the house and practice. I think watching them interact and the fun they had playing together is what made me want to play and instrument.

I started playing Trumpet in school band but when the Beatles came on Ed Sullivan, I had to get a guitar and learn to play. I am truly blessed to have grown up while all of this great music was born and I play guitar to this day. Can't tell you what happened to the Trumpet.

Well, WWII was in its final phase when I was born.

Mom started me on piano before 1950. I never took to it although I played a few years. In fourth grade it was trumpet, but I always wanted to have that "overview" of the instrument that would let me play jazz. But then what I really wanted to do in jazz wasn't the in thing when I was playing in a H.S. band in the early 1960s because I wasn't into bebop.

So... With Dad going to grad school just off Harvard Square in Cambridge, Mass, I got exposed to the ease of hauling a guitar and kinda doing what you want from the folkies of the era. So on high school graduation came my purchase of my first guitar. Ain't looked back since.

Rock wasn't what got me into it, really, although that first high school band did "rock" with a sax, trumpet, two guitars, piano, drums...

The Beatles, in fact, didn't do much for me until I realized there were some acoustic things that were "new" but not "folk." Then came a shot at a rock band in late 1965 that led to a lot of playing out over the years.

Yet for me... I learned songs that were in demand, not artists who were in demand, if that makes any sense at all... Most of the time I couldn't tell you who was playing what.

Also, my life tended to be more toward solo stuff...

m

Oddly Enough, It was Jimmy Page's red back up Les Paul that first got me wanting a Les Paul. I told my Parents and started saving. My dad hears a radio advertisement about an American Made Strat for $300 (FSR for a Loss Leader" add GC ran. there was like 60 nationwide and only 15 in Southern California). Anyway, we call down to my Gramma, have her run down to guitar center in Anaheim and secure one for me. Guita Center was 100+ miles away, never would have meade it on time. even with that fast reaction I got the LAST ONE IN THE ANAHEIM GC [biggrin][thumbup]

That one incident shaped the way I play and now the guitars I prefer to play. I don't even like the feel of a Les Paul now, for Gibsons I'm more of an SG or V guy (and of course the blessed Nighthawk).

Guest rogerb

I grew up playing bluegrass. When I first heard The Animals recording of House of the Rising Sun I had to have an electric guitar. Been playing electric ever since (still love bluegrass too).

Archived