Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie Question - What's the difference between an Epiphone Les Paul Custom & Les Paul Tribute??

IanMak3103

Hi everyone, I'm now to the world of electric guitars and to this forum,

so I hope I can learn as much as I can from all of you, and would treasure all advises.

What is the difference between an Epiphone les paul custom and a les paul tribute?

As I saw in the website, the hardware seemed to be the same.

The Pups in the Tribute are Gibson 57s. It also has a Switchcraft switch and other Gibson made stuff. The custom has Epi pups and electronics.

The Tribute has an asymmetrical neck profile. It has a more rounded D shape on the bass side of the neck with a flatter C shape on the treble side.

That and $200, I think, are the main differences.

The Pups in the Tribute are Gibson 57s. It also has a Switchcraft switch and other Gibson made stuff. The custom has Epi pups and electronics.

The Tribute has an asymmetrical neck profile. It has a more rounded D shape on the bass side of the neck with a flatter C shape on the treble side.

That and $200, I think, are the main differences.

So what I can say is I'm paying the extra dollar to get the Gibby's hardware on an Epi body?

So what I can say is I'm paying the extra dollar to get the Gibby's hardware on an Epi body?

NO, you are getting Gibson electronics. And if you are familiar at all with the Epi electronics, then that is significant.

The Pickups are also much better. I wouldn't call that hardware either.

There are some other things I didn't mention that also come with the Tribute.

Read the links that Pete posted. [biggrin]

Thanks for you links, Pete

NO, you are getting Gibson electronics. And if you are familiar at all with the Epi electronics, then that is significant.

The Pickups are also much better. I wouldn't call that hardware either.

Read the links that Pete posted. [biggrin]

I've had a read, I think I'm getting a better idea, but still not 100% sure.

maybe I need to try them on my hands, and play them to feel the differences [wink]

The Pickups are also much better.

And more versatile with the serial/parallel switching.

For example locking tuners, hard shell case included etc.. So if you upgrade the Custom with the parts the Tribute has already included, you would pay a lot more than the $200 difference.

So if you upgrade the Custom with the parts the Tribute has already included, you would pay a lot more than the $200 difference.

True, but the Tribute doesn't have those Custom cosmetic appointments (binding everywhere, block inlays, split diamond headstock inlay, ect). I say this because after reading this thread, I realized that Epi hasn't (I don't think) released an LP Custom model with all of the upgrades of the Tribute, 1960, and 1959 LP's which all have the Standard cosmetics. Not sure why, but it'd be cool if they did.

True, but the Tribute doesn't have those Custom cosmetic appointments (binding everywhere, block inlays, split diamond headstock inlay, ect). I say this because after reading this thread, I realized that Epi hasn't (I don't think) released an LP Custom model with all of the upgrades of the Tribute, 1960, and 1959 LP's which all have the Standard cosmetics. Not sure why, but it'd be cool if they did.

I actually quite agree with that, I reckons the finishing can be a bit better.

Also, for my own taste, I was quite disappointed for it not to have a pickguard!

I've always love a Les Paul with a pickguard, it's just part of it that makes it a Les Paul,

without it, it feels strange and incomplete (in my own opinion, anyway).

I'm now torn between this and the Ultra III, can't really decide which to choose!

Tribute obviously has the Gibson pups, which gives it massive value; but on the other hand,

the Ultra III also has the Probucker pup plus other special features!

I just can't decide at the moment!

OT

It is an "unwritten law" that signatures should not be bigger than your average post

I have to scroll for days to reach the next post teufel_98.gif

please.gif

Thanks

Well, sorry guys, I'm still new to this forum, and I couldn't find a better pic b4...

I'll try 2 change it now

Archived