Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird Studio question

Bldsnn

Hi,

I've been looking at the epi firebird studio for about two months now and it has turned into serious GAS.

I need another guitar because I want a backup for my sg.

I usually have multiple guitars on stage with me to be able to use different tunings... so I can still justify the purchase once I have the funds.

(well.. and my birthday is coming up msp_biggrin.gif)

Just wondering if somebody owns one here on the epiphone forums and could tell me if its worth checking this one out?

I could get it in ebony finish and i love the idea that it has regular humbuckers. No minis for me! msp_thumbup.gif

I had one for a while and really enjoyed it, however it doesn't sound or play like a 'normal' firebird, it is just infact an odd shaped SG!

I would suggest you play one first and can get around the shape/weight distribution etc but it definitely seems to fit the bill for you

good luck

I had a sunburst one for a while. It played well and sounded good. It had an odd weight distribution, but it didn't really phase me (I went out and got an Explorer and it's nearly the same). The only thing I had against it were the Steinberger Gearless Tuners. THEY SUCKED. They tuned up okay, but didn't hold well, and they couldn't take the tension of any string set higher than .09s. And I was using .13s at the time. Add all of that up with them being an odd size and hard to replace, and it equaled a traded in Firebird.

I have an 06 Firebird V Custom Shop Sunburst and I have the same findings as Fantana.Mine sounds just like a Mid-60's S.G. so much so that I can nail the same tone on the guitar itros on "Rain" and "Paperback Writer"

for 399, it's kinda a hard deal to beat, I just pulled the trigger on one of these.

I like the size and weight, and like most Epi's once they are thoroughly set up, they play like a dream.

I lucked out I found one very gently used and already modded (pups/pots/caps) with a HSC for $399.

• 1 month later...

Well,

Got myself an ebony one and I'm very pleased. Build quality is top notch and the pickups are pretty good.

It didn't look like an especially big guitar at first, but when I strapped it on it was huge msp_biggrin.gif.

It's pretty heavy as well...

I'm a happy camper with this one: good tone, good looks and the neck plays fast and easy. (and 349 isn't a bad deal either)

pics should follow after the weekend. I'm in the process of moving to a new place and my camera is somewhere in one of the many boxes msp_confused.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

Archived