Gibson Brands Forums

NOT quite sure....IF

retrorod

LOL I hear this song most mornings when I'm getting ready for work. The only radio station my 40 year old radio picks up is this little country station out of Drumheller, and this song gets a whole lot of airplay. Listening to it now, I'm so glad I don't have to go to work today. But then, that wasn't my point. [biggrin] Anyway, yeah, funny little song, I never knew it was Tim McGraw. I remember my parents *bragging* about how their generation was so much better and how the moral fabric of society had just fallen through with MY generation. Boy, if they were alive today!

LOL I hear this song most mornings when I'm getting ready for work. The only radio station my 40 year old radio picks up is this little country station out of Drumheller, and this song gets a whole lot of airplay. Listening to it now, I'm so glad I don't have to go to work today. But then, that wasn't my point. [biggrin] Anyway, yeah, funny little song, I never knew it was Tim McGraw. I remember my parents *bragging* about how their generation was so much better and how the moral fabric of society had just fallen through with MY generation. Boy, if they were alive today!

Yep, If they were alive today, they would have known they were right in their viewpoint.... [thumbup] !

So, has the tearing down of the 'moral fabric' ocurred north of the US borders also?

Just curious. Don,t get much news from our Canadian neighbors.

I,m sorry if this is a bit off-topic for Gibson acoustics. PM me if so.

Rod

I like the lyrics to that. Like to hear someone else sing it. Nothing in particular against McGraw, but I hear him as just another one of the horribly over-produced current-day Nashville studs.......Anyway, I do think we've lost a great deal that the previous generations handed-over to us. The "good old days" were not always good, but the mass of people were far more involved with right and wrong than we seem to be today. I've likely grown too cynical as the country goes to hell and I get older. The world is always changing, but at the moment it definitly seems to be changing for the worse........Glad I've got my family and guitars. [thumbup]

Well said and "right on the money" Larry... [thumbup]

Thank GOD for family and guitars!

Me thinks there is a song in there....!!!

I know what your sayin' about Tim McGraw (Nashville super stud money-maker) Corporate cash-cow etc......

Funny! I don,t have any Tim McGraw CD's in my collection...or downloads or other.

Like GGirl says...hear it forty million times a day on country radio... [crying] ....who needs to buy it? We're probably sick of it already??

Good song though [thumbup]

Rod

I'd like to have heard Cash do the song on one of his last albums. The low key and almost painful delivery that he had those last few years was so real, anything more than a couple of acoustic guitars was over-produced...lol....To me, that was real folk/country music. I suspect Willie Nelson and Trigger could do a sweet job on this song too. Just Willie and a guitar or two. Leave the band at home. To be honest, I'd like to hear McGraw do some songs with Rick Rubin. Let McGraw sing it raw and simple. No harmonies of his own voice to reach for higher notes. Let him be who he actually is. I bet I'd like him better. I know I like his wife.... [thumbup]

Salute to the greatest generation. My Dad is included and they really were special. But my (baby boomers) went to the moon, won the cold war, and live in the most prosperous nation ever ..... and Gibson Guitars are still around and among the best .... available to an average joe like me .... hey I'm OK and so is my generation. But I too, miss the back when.

Salute to the greatest generation. My Dad is included and they really were special. But my (baby boomers) went to the moon, won the cold war, and live in the most prosperous nation ever ..... and Gibson Guitars are still around and among the best .... available to an average joe like me .... hey I'm OK and so is my generation. But I too, miss the back when.

+1 on the Greatest Generation.

My sister lost her FIL last week. A marine in the WWII Pacific, his obit revealed that his generation was the greatest in our time. How did it all begin? Let's just say before he passed he was the oldest living Eagle Scout in his state.

When I was growing up in the 60's those people were running the factories, teaching the kids, inventing in the laboratories and running our government. Now think, what were the people who are NOW running the factories, teaching the kids, inventing in the laboratories and running our government doing in the 1960's?

Lest we forget, we put men on the moon using slide rules.

Not really. We had computers. They were just massive, and still pretty primitive.

That is true. But by comparison, I have a calculator on my desk that does the basic four math operations, square root and not much else. This little 99¢ calculator has more computing power than the the Apollo command modules had on board. There is more computing power on your desk top computer than the entire world had in 1969. Without "the Greatest Generation" computers would still be a figment of Leonardo da Vinci's imagination.

I like the lyrics to that. Like to hear someone else sing it. Nothing in particular against McGraw, but I hear him as just another one of the horribly over-produced current-day Nashville studs.......Anyway, I do think we've lost a great deal that the previous generations handed-over to us. The "good old days" were not always good, but the mass of people were far more involved with right and wrong than we seem to be today. I've likely grown too cynical as the country goes to hell and I get older. The world is always changing, but at the moment it definitly seems to be changing for the worse........Glad I've got my family and guitars. [thumbup]

[/quo like to hear McGraw do some songs with Rick Rubin. Let McGraw sing it raw and simple. No harmonies of his own voice to reach for higher notes. Let him be who he actually is. I bet I'd like him better. I know I like his wife....

te]

Hey Larry, got to thinking about what you say.

There is a fine but definitive,yet subtle line between raw, produced and over-produced music/recording.

Raw,to me, is live with no mics, etc. If mic'd and recorded it is 'produced'... TO SOME EXTANT. There is 'good and bad' re-production, nevertheless.

We can probably agree that an artists' best sound in the raw would be hearing them in a room without the aid of any electronics...?

....that being said...There are numerous NEW cd's out that are by definition...'over-produced' but sound stellar with really good playback(stereo) systems that relay all of the 'istrumental/vocal' sound back to the listener as real and 'raw'....almost... and gives each instrument and vocal its own space within the 'soundstage'....:blink:

....that being said... I would rather hear the performance in my kitchen over a good glass of wine.... [crying]

Rod

After hurricane Katrina I spent some time at a little place called False River, LA He and the wife had a home there, one of many prolly... :rolleyes: I dealt with folks from everywhere in the community and surrounding area. To a man...and women, all said basically the same thing. " Just a good ol boy" one with fancier toys than most. Jes sayin....

Archived