Gibson Brands Forums

XR-1 Gibson 1981

G McBride

I picked this guitar up so that I could have something with a Bigsby on it to experiment with. From what I have researched it is the pre-studio Studio model.

Mine is supposed to have Dirty Fingers pick ups but they look like the pick ups in every picture I have seen. Anyone else own one or have information on one.

I picked this guitar up so that I could have something with a Bigsby on it to experiment with. From what I have researched it is the pre-studio Studio model.

Mine is supposed to have Dirty Fingers pick ups but they look like the pick ups in every picture I have seen. Anyone else own one or have information on one.

if you got any pics please post

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Gibson XR1

Make: Gibson

Model: XR1 (Studio)

Year 1981 (This guitar was made a the Nashville Plant, TN, USA)

Colour Cherry burst

Steve Clarke (Def Leppard) had two guitars as his main tour guitars for the Pyromania tour: A Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Gibson Les Paul XR-1. This was formerly owned by Gaz Coombes of Supergrass.

The XR-1 is the prelude to the Les Paul Studio. The studio came out in 1983 and so the XR-1 ran from 81-83. It is also arguably better due to non weight relief and the flexibility in pickup selection.

Neck Specification

Three piece laminated maple construction, width at fingerboard nut 1+11/16th", Rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlays, chrome plated individual machine heads, Gibson XR1 truss rod cover, 22 frets, 24+3/4" scale length.

Body Specification

Laminated mahogany body with a carved maple top, single cutaway, adjustable chrome plated Tune-o-matic bridge and stop bar, no binding on body, neck or headstock, body size length 17+3/8", width 12+3/4", depth 2".

The pickups are two exposed black/white coil "Dirty Fingers". Apart from the usual 2 volume and 2 tone controls and the 3 way toggle switch for pick up selection it also features a coil tap switch located near the volume/tone controls which splits the pickup to a single coil tonal option.

here is another thread on Mylespaul.com

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/norlin-years/63983-gibson-les-paul-xr-1-a.html

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Gibson XR1

Make: Gibson

Model: XR1 (Studio)

Year 1981 (This guitar was made a the Nashville Plant, TN, USA)

Colour Cherry burst

Steve Clarke (Def Leppard) had two guitars as his main tour guitars for the Pyromania tour: A Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Gibson Les Paul XR-1. This was formerly owned by Gaz Coombes of Supergrass.

I was just doing some browsing on the Gibson XR-1 and stumbled across this old thread... I'm curious as to what "Angellus" says about the above XR-1 being formerly owned by Gaz Coombes? Perhaps I have misunderstood what is meant here but if the XR-1 that Steve Clark had was formerly owned by Gaz Coombes, that would mean Coombes would've been about 5 or 6 years old when Clark obtained it from him for the Pyromania tour?

It's no big deal but it just caught my interest as I'm a big Clark fan... cheers. :)

Dirty fingers pups have the name printed on the front of them.

I think Searcy's right, they look like Di's.

If these pickups in the guitar are original stock then they wil be Dirty Fingers. The original Dirty Fingers pickups were made late 70's/early 80's and had no name on the front of the pickups. Steve Clark's XR1 had the same zebra ones in his. Back in the 80's these Dirty Fingers were really only available on a select few guitars or special orders as a rule. They stopped production for a period and were re-issued in more recent years. It's the re-issues that bear the Dirty Fingers name. You'll also notice that many other pickup brands now bear the name of the pickup or the company aka Seymour Duncan or Fender N3 for example.

If your DF bears its name, it's a new reissue one. If it doesn't it's likely to be the original from back in the day.

Another way to tell if your pickups are likely to be DF's is if they have 12 height-adjustable pole pieces as opposed to just 6 which is what humbuckets traditionally have.

• 4 years later...

I have a 1980 Les Paul LP XR-1 in blue color. I can not find any information on this and I have not seen another blue one in any pics on the internet. Can anyone help me with this, I have contacted Gibson and they say it is a real Gibson but they didn't keep good records back then. This guitar was built Oct. of 1980 in Nashville and that is all I know from the serial number. Not much or no information on the internet either on these LP XR-1.