Gibson Brands Forums

I want to play the same guitar my Hero does

brannon67

I have a question for you guys. When I was yonger, I used to want to play the same equipment as my guitar hero EVH played, same amp(if possible, same guitar(if possible also, except for the Frankie, etc). I bought the EVH EB model guitar, the Peavey amps, etc. Also, I bought a COLE CLARK, because Jack Johnson plays them. Since I have gotten older, I have realized, that its crazy(for me personally) to do that. I understand we all want to have good quality gear, and we look to our hero's for guidance in equipment, and want to sound like them as close as possible(good luck), but as I get older, I want to play what I want to play, I want to play the model guitar I want to play, and the amp I wan to use, etc. I mean, all these guys get payed to endorse this stuff, and they change up every year when they are offered more money, etc. What do you guys think about wanting what your guitar hero playes, uses? As for me, I pick and choose and play what I want to now, and I do not care what EVH, JJ or anyone else plays. Its what feels good and sounds good to me.

I use what I have. When I'm not playing, I'm figuring out what I can do to get a certain sound with what I have. It'd sure be nice to have everything, but we can't all have that. When I was a wee lad, I dreamed of having everything my favorite guitarists had, but being me, I won't have that. It's all trial and error with me. I like taking time to get it right. [thumbup]

Beast [biggrin]

I use what my guitar hero uses.............and only what he uses.....I have learned that others do the same thing.....

Because they've seen my guitar hero in concert....Lucky, 'cause he doesn't play live these days.......

A very interesting subject...

As said, people often admire one or more players initially and wish to sound like them....

But IMO the only way to go is to realise one's personal expressive tone...drawing on inspiration from all the great players out there

The guitar as an instrument has the most potential for variance between make/model in tone terms....and amps add to the tone party

Personally I'm a tone enthusiast....

Inspirational tone creators....

The Edge

The Beatles

Kurt Cobain

Jimi Hendrix

Al DiMeola

Hank Marvin

Wes Montgomery

Joe Pass

V

:-({|=

I always thought that great gear like my idols played made the player...NOT TRUE. Take a trip to New Orleans and listen to the street musicians there. Some of them are using beat up pieces of crap guitars and play with more soul and feeling than I could ever hope for. Mind you, I love playing on my Les Paul but I think you have to play on gear that just feels right to you and lets you express yourself and find your own unique sound.

I am in a position in life now that I can have more gear than I will ever need. But when I was young and playing out, I used what ever I could get my hands on. Sometimes it wasn't the greatest but I had to make it sound good.

When you play with feeling you can get the required sound you need. You may not sound exactly like your hero but you don't have to. You just need to try and bring out the same emotions with your music that he does. It is truly what the music moves inside the soul that matters.

When I started out, I was going after the brand/s of my favorites, only able to afford the very best deals on used, or lower end models that I would often mod. I learned a lot about scrounging parts/hardware and tweaking in those days. The previously mentioned EVH Frankenstein is a perfect example of that. Over the years I bought, sometimes modded, and sold a lot of guitars. I currently own 14. But I often think fondly of those times I spent planning mods and scrounging for parts. I guess I'm too lazy for that now. B)

Most of our "hero's" tone, is from them! How they play, phrase, vibrato, etc.

They can play, on any gear, really...and get "their" sound/tone. Took me awhile,

too, to come to terms with that, as a lad. Never mind the fact that "I" would

never be like them, musically. I still "borrow" licks, and runs, from the folks

I admire...but, I don't really sound like them, even so. Most likely, never will.

That's ok! I work to sound like me...good or bad. Sometimes you eat the

bear, sometimes the bear eats you! [biggrin]

CB

I have a question for you guys. When I was yonger, I used to want to play the same equipment as my guitar hero EVH played, same amp(if possible, same guitar(if possible also, except for the Frankie, etc). I bought the EVH EB model guitar, the Peavey amps, etc. Also, I bought a COLE CLARK, because Jack Johnson plays them. Since I have gotten older, I have realized, that its crazy(for me personally) to do that. I understand we all want to have good quality gear, and we look to our hero's for guidance in equipment, and want to sound like them as close as possible(good luck), but as I get older, I want to play what I want to play, I want to play the model guitar I want to play, and the amp I wan to use, etc. I mean, all these guys get payed to endorse this stuff, and they change up every year when they are offered more money, etc. What do you guys think about wanting what your guitar hero playes, uses? As for me, I pick and choose and play what I want to now, and I do not care what EVH, JJ or anyone else plays. Its what feels good and sounds good to me.

buy yourself the equipment in my sig, then you can have "steve-tone" [biggrin]

With people I teach; for some, it requires more of a push than for others i.e to really encourage them to believe in their own sound and abilities enough to be their own person as it it where; but I think giving up on following someone elses way (in this case your guitar hero) and following your own way, is the most fun thing you can do. I would even go as far as thinking it is what music is all about!

Matt

I bought my first Strat not because my hero-Jimi Hendrix-played one but because of the tone of the Strat.I absolutely loved the bell-like chime that you could get by mixing the neck/middle and bridge/middle pickups. I have bought many guitars over the years that were played by my heroes-not to emulate them but emulate the subtle nuances of their tone. Albeit tone is down to the hands in the long run but at least playing the same type of gear will give you a head start in recreating the tones of your heroes.I'm on my way now to amassing the same gear that the Beatles used and next on my list is a Rickenbacker 325 C'63 or a toaster pup 360/12/.These are tones that I grew up loving and just to be able to get these tones from my own gear would bring me a lot of satisfaction.

Funny because in my case, I own a Fender Clapton signature and even if I like Clapton, I am not the absolute Clapton fan, and I am not looking for his tone, but you know what, it is my favourite guitars, for the playability, and the active electronics and it is the guitar I find the more comfortable.

Funny isn't it? :)

I wonder if EVH had some idol in mind whose gear he wanted to have in order to sound like him or did he just create his own? I'm guessing the latter.

It depends on what point is his development you're talking about. Adolescent EVH was learning Cream solos note for note, no one starts off breaking ground or reinventing the wheel.

Dimarzio Super-Distortion equipped guitar, into this

gt3.jpg

into Marshall Stacks.

FM :o long time no see

Find your own sound, no one sounds more like Stevie Ray Vaughan than Stevie Ray Vaughan (or in this case EVH), and no one will ever sound as you as you. Don't try to create a spitting image of them, do as they did and combine all of your influences, I find it's far more rewarding to find yourself in the amp.

Was he using the same gear as Clapton?

I don't know what he used, but his tendencies were toward imitation.

It's only natural, a beginner hears, "You need a good guitar and amp and you need to practice."

What is a good guitar and amp? The Parker Fly and Line 6 the guitar teacher has? The Squier Strat his sister has? The Country Gentleman and Steel King Chet Atkins has? The Memphis Super Strat with a bad setup and Goriila Amp the cool kid has down the street? Or the Gibson Les Paul and Marshall Stack on the cover of your favorite Album, being played by your favorite player?

Open the Musicians Friend catalog and there's page after page of really nice quality guitars that will do the job great. On line there's five positive reviews and seven negative reviews for every model in existence. Is the beginner supposed to choose their guitar and start defining and refining their own personal tone before they can move a barre chord up the neck? Or just get the guitar that looks like (insert guitar hero here) and start learning chords?

It's important for the student to ask themselves, "How come I have Slash's Set up but I can't play like Slash?" so they can eventually learn what it takes to play like Slash, so they can eventually realize Slash is trying to sound like himself, and if they really want to honor their hero they need to find their own voice, and if you want to play like yourself you have to define and refine your tone.

In short, I believe Imitation is a necessary means to an Original end.

FM :o long time no see

Find your own sound, no one sounds more like Stevie Ray Vaughan than Stevie Ray Vaughan (or in this case EVH), and no one will ever sound as you as you. Don't try to create a spitting image of them, do as they did and combine all of your influences, I find it's far more rewarding to find yourself in the amp.

Hey Das! Yeah I gave the computer a break for while. But I've been itchin' to talk music lately.

My heroes were the ones that inspired me to learn to play guitar. Yeah, I went through a phase when I wanted what they had. But then I started to get older and wiser and realized that they sounded the way they did because of who they were and how they played, not what they used. I definitely learned a lot about what was out there instrument-wise by what guitars they were using, so that opened my eyes a little wider. But as much as I loved the sounds they made and some of them still make, I've gotten to the point where I play the guitars that feel comfortable for me and fit like the proverbial "glove", and I try to get "my own" sound out of them.

Funny because in my case, I own a Fender Clapton signature and even if I like Clapton, I am not the absolute Clapton fan, and I am not looking for his tone, but you know what, it is my favourite guitars, for the playability, and the active electronics and it is the guitar I find the more comfortable.

Funny isn't it? :)

Not at all. I think in the beginning we all want to play what the people who inspire us play but I think we all agree it comes down to what feels right for each individual.

My whole life I wanted to own Rics like the Beatles played. I now own both a 330 six and 360 twelve and they are fantastic guitars..... that I play occasionally.

My Clapton Sig, like you, is my go to guitar. Everything about it feels right in my hands. Perfect neck, well balanced, smooth as silk to play and I'm discovering new tones all the time.msp_thumbup.gif

Archived