Gibson Brands Forums

I want to play the same guitar my Hero does

brannon67

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting the same guitar/gear that you guitar hero plays. I think it is natural and part of the learning process. It also gets people interested in understanding what is involved with achieving some of those tones. So I chalk it up to a natural part of the learning process.

I too wanted the EVH "Tone" I have almost every piece of original vintage gear that he has/had used on VH1 and VHII. I can get pretty close. The caveat is that sound is great when I am trying to play like Eddie ( which I will never nail) and I am playing old VH Songs or songs with the same vibe. In the end if you are in a tribute band this might make sense or if you want to be relegated to that style.

It is fun especially with some of the older players to find and obtain some of that vintage gear and play around with it. With all of the effects and simulators today it is pretty cool to go back and see how these tones were really created and what they actually added to the tone. In the end the experimentation may lead to you finding your own tone.

I think what made a lot of our classic guitar heroes great and unique was the limited gear they had to work with. Usually ( not intended as a complete blanket statement) the tone, equipment, guitars etc.. will push you to create and find a style of playing that squeezes the most out of what you are working with. In doing so you might start hearing a tone in your head and start looking for gear that furthers that tone.

Consider this scenario: It's 1965 and you hear in your mind an early Metallica sound, given the available gear on the market at the time, you would have to do a lot of experimentation with anything you could find to get that kind of gain, tone etc... I believe Richie Blackmore did ( and still might ) use an old reel to reel tape deck ( Richie fans correct me if I'm wrong) as a "Pre-Amp" in front of his Marshall Majors.

In summary if you want to spend your time trying to sound like someone else I don't see anything wrong with it. Hopefully the experimentation might lead to your own tone/sound/style etc.. if that is what you truly want in the end.

Regards,

Andy

Well, given that I got my first electric rig in 1965 after being really heavy on the acoustic-folkie thing, I can truthfully say that there were three factors involved for me in that era living in a very rural area.

1. Brands basically meant quality construction and probable playability. But who played what was essentially irrelevant. It was pretty much the same with amps.

2. Basic appearance: Like it or not, nobody doing electric rock or country at that point really was thinking this way perhaps, but essentially the general appearance of an instrument was a big deal. That led to me dumping my orange Gretsch, for example.

3. Cost and availability: I got what I could afford with a brand name that was available locally. There wasn't much, though, and I'm lucky I got some quality stuff that I still play today.

I dunno why, but emulating some picker never was what I was looking for. Doing old time or folkie stuff, yeah, I did the typical general things, but how I did it was pretty much how I figured out how to play this or that sorta music. Again, "heroes" weren't as important to me as general concept.

m

Funny because in my case, I own a Fender Clapton signature and even if I like Clapton, I am not the absolute Clapton fan, and I am not looking for his tone, but you know what, it is my favourite guitars, for the playability, and the active electronics and it is the guitar I find the more comfortable.

Funny isn't it? :)

what colour is it matey?, better still post me a pic B)

what colour is it matey?, better still post me a pic B)

This is the picture I took when arrived home, now the pickguard has been replaced by a 3 ply one, more beautiful and most important shielded:

strat4.jpg

Call me kid..... But every time I throw a guitar over my shoulder I turn into a 13 year old.... same thing when I walk in to a music store [biggrin]

Guitar and music was always that avenue that allowed me to escape and express myself, and it wasn't until I turned 19 that it started not be fun anymore when it became a business, which eventually caused me to quite playing all together in 1989.

Since I started playing again in 2007, I've been able to re-kindle that old magic as to why I wanted to play guitar in the first place.... And if that makes me a fan boy, I'm good with that [biggrin]

Call me kid..... But every time I throw a guitar over my shoulder I turn into a 13 year old.... same thing when I walk in to a music store [biggrin]

Guitar and music was always that avenue that allowed me to escape and express myself, and it wasn't until I turned 19 that it started not be fun anymore when it became a business, which eventually caused me to quite playing all together in 1989.

Since I started playing again in 2007, I've been able to re-kindle that old magic as to why I wanted to play guitar in the first place.... And if that makes me a fan boy, I'm good with that [biggrin]

KID!msp_flapper.gif

Duane...

When nothing in life allows one to feel as one did as a "kid," I think perhaps it's best to pass on into the next.

My head is little different when I'm wrapped into a guitar than when I was 18 - and for that, I make no apology to anyone.

m

Not at all. I think in the beginning we all want to play what the people who inspire us play but I think we all agree it comes down to what feels right for each individual.

My whole life I wanted to own Rics like the Beatles played. I now own both a 330 six and 360 twelve and they are fantastic guitars..... that I play occasionally.

My Clapton Sig, like you, is my go to guitar. Everything about it feels right in my hands. Perfect neck, well balanced, smooth as silk to play and I'm discovering new tones all the time.msp_thumbup.gif

Which git do you think gives more of the classic i want to hold your hand beatles sound, the 330 or 360? Id love to get a 325 but realistically it's just too darned expensive with house payments so im looking for a cheaper rick alternative.

Which git do you think gives more of the classic i want to hold your hand beatles sound, the 330 or 360? Id love to get a 325 but realistically it's just too darned expensive with house payments so im looking for a cheaper rick alternative.

In that particular case, the 330! 360-SIX string, would be ok, too! But the 12-string

would be (later)..."A Hard Day's Night," etc.

My Ric's...

MyRickenbackers001.jpg

[biggrin]...LOVE 'EM! I do have to take the darker 12-string in, this week, for a jack repair/replacement! But, after 30 years, I guess that's not so bad? :rolleyes: (The jagged black areas, on the lower bout, of the 320, are refletions, of the tuners on the 12-strings, on either side...not damage.) ;>)

CB

I think it's one of the lessons that you learn in progressing as a musician that tone comes mainly from the fingers, not the gear. I received my final lesson while cutting a demo session for a very good local blues guitarist. He sounded incredible. He also left his entire rig and guitar in the studio overnight so we could pick right back up the next day. After everyone had gone home, I couldn't resist a quick noodle on his gear. The guitar was a horror, and the rig sounded like crap. Same gear, same settings, different player.

Alright, we need a new word. The "Tone" that is referred to as being "In The Fingers" is completely different than the tone of the gear.

Vibrato, Pinch Harmonics, Pick Attack, how much fret you hear in a bend, things like that are in the players fingers.

Gain, Bark, Sparkle, Bell Quality, More High End, Scooped Mids, Controlled Feedback, Girth, Echo, Reverb, Flanger, Chorus, Leslie, Roto-Vive, Wah-Wah, Tremolo Arm Stuff, all these are not in the players "Fingers".

Perhaps we should start calling them Tone and Voice, or Timbre. They can't both be tone. 'Cause sure, take SRV and give him Buddy Guys guitar he will sound like SRV. However, you give James Hetfield Buddy Guys guitar and it will not sound like Metallica unless you run it through the right gear. Give SRV a Strat, he sounds like SRV "ON A STRAT". Give SRV a ES-335, he sounds like SRV "ON AN ES-335".

When it came to guitars, at first I wanted a start because I had guitar hearos which did.

Then I saw a picture of a Les Paul, didn't know anyone who played one as I was still young and had a lot to experience still.

But after seeing that picture, I just had to have one.

So my choice in guitar was based on the way it looked more than anything else.

From there on I just get used to the guitar.

There are things I like over a Gibson Les Paul than a Stratocaster and vice versa.

It will always be this way for me.

I can't say I aspired to be like any one guitar hero in particular.

I certainly had guitarists I was inspired by and took notes from the way they played to the sound they produced which carved the guitar sound and style I play today.

Along the way more inspirational guitarists come out and I take notes from them too which extends my abilities and or transforms my sound into something of my own

In that particular case, the 330! 360-SIX string, would be ok, too! But the 12-string

would be (later)..."A Hard Day's Night," etc.

My Ric's...

MyRickenbackers001.jpg

[biggrin]...LOVE 'EM! I do have to take the darker 12-string in, this week, for a jack repair/replacement! But, after 30 years, I guess that's not so bad? :rolleyes: (The jagged black areas, on the lower bout, of the 320, are refletions, of the tuners on the 12-strings, on either side...not damage.) ;>)

CB

Beautiful gits, the one thing i was surprised about is how many different sounds people are able to pull out of those. I also saw a Honeyburst Les Paul for sale today and nearly bought it. Gas is so difficult to control but i confess to being the ultimate tone/git fanboy to the occasional laughter/scorn of my fiance.

Beautiful gits, the one thing i was surprised about is how many different sounds people are able to pull out of those. I also saw a Honeyburst Les Paul for sale today and nearly bought it. Gas is so difficult to control but i confess to being the ultimate tone/git fanboy to the occasional laughter/scorn of my fiance.

Thanks...it's also interesting (to me), that even the same (basic) models, can sound somewhat different.

The "darker" 12-string, because of it's longer neck inset, and the pickups being closer together,

sounds different, than the lighter colored version, with the original neck joint, and more space

between pickups. They Both sound like "Ric's," of course, but there is some difference, beyond

wood, that always makes a slight tonal variation, from guitar to guitar, no matter the model/brand.

CB

I love your Ricks Charlie Brown and that's what's next on my GAS list-a 360/12 or a 320,325 or 350 with toaster pups of course.I just gave up smoking and have over $200 in my Rick fund already.BTW I know what you mean about tone variations in the same model of guitar,I have 5 Strats and although there's no mistaking the Strat tone on each one of them they all have individual tone and no 2 sound the same even though they sound quite similar.

I always thought that great gear like my idols played made the player...NOT TRUE. Take a trip to New Orleans and listen to the street musicians there. Some of them are using beat up pieces of crap guitars and play with more soul and feeling than I could ever hope for. Mind you, I love playing on my Les Paul but I think you have to play on gear that just feels right to you and lets you express yourself and find your own unique sound.

Yep saw a good country rock band over at a biker rally this weekend. The lead Guitarist was playing a Fender Squire and was kickn arse B)

Trying to get the same sound as a guitar hero is extremely difficult to do, unless you have unlimited cash and a guitar tech on the payroll, a sound guy, rack system etc etc.

Sadly I don't so just happy to play albeit badly. As said in the posts before a lot of the sound is how they play with feel, vibrato etc.

I'm too old to suddenly have talent now but still nice to dream!

The other thing, one has to consider...is you want to sound like your hero's...HOW?

"Live," or "on Record?" Because recordings have lots of little things, here and

there, to accentuate sound/tone, etc. Just about the time, you think you're getting

close to the "record" tone, you'll see them live, and they're playing different guitars,

through different amps, etc., etc., etc. They still sould like themselves, of course, but a

a bit more "raw," and so, you've spent a lot of time/money, on a "Fool's Errand," by that time. ;>b

CB

Guilty. [unsure]

In my collection:

Paul Gilbert (Ibanez PGM100RE), Kirk Hammett (ESP KH-2, Dunlop Kirk signature wah), James Hetfield (Gibson Explorer modded with EMG 81/60, Sperzel locking tuners, diamond plate pg, ESP LTD Truckster, Ken Lawrence replica).

I do not have the same rig as any of them but after recently playing my PGM thru a Mesa Dual Rec, might have to get one. So mixing favs. No one sells Laneys in my area and I haven't tried the Marshalls that Paul uses nowadays.

I have plenty of other guitars that are just "me." The settings on my amps and Line 6 POD XT Live are more my sounds. There are some settings used for Metallica and Racer X just because I love specific tones used by those players.

The other thing, one has to consider...is you want to sound like your hero's...HOW?

"Live," or "on Record?" Because recordings have lots of little things, here and

there, to accentuate sound/tone, etc. Just about the time, you think you're getting

close to the "record" tone, you'll see them live, and they're playing different guitars,

through different amps, etc., etc., etc. They still sould like themselves, of course, but a

a bit more "raw," and so, you've spent a lot of time/money, on a "Fool's Errand," by that time. ;>b

CB

This is exactly the conclusion the beginner must come to on their own. You can tell them 'till you're blue in the face, they won't "Get It" until they get it. Even if they follow your advise they won't really get it, they're just following someones advice.

Guilty. [unsure]

In my collection:

Paul Gilbert (Ibanez PGM100RE), Kirk Hammett (ESP KH-2, Dunlop Kirk signature wah), James Hetfield (Gibson Explorer modded with EMG 81/60, Sperzel locking tuners, diamond plate pg, ESP LTD Truckster, Ken Lawrence replica).

I do not have the same rig as any of them but after recently playing my PGM thru a Mesa Dual Rec, might have to get one. So mixing favs. No one sells Laneys in my area and I haven't tried the Marshalls that Paul uses nowadays.

I have plenty of other guitars that are just "me." The settings on my amps and Line 6 POD XT Live are more my sounds. There are some settings used for Metallica and Racer X just because I love specific tones used by those players.

Personally I think purposely Avoiding someones signature gear so you can find your OWN sound is just a pointless as imitating. It's the opposite side of the same coin.

My Buddy Guy Strat is really cool, it sounds and plays great and audiences Love It! Only a hand full of people have recognized it a Buddy's Sig and they were very happy to see someone using Buddy's Strat.

Archived