Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guitarrob

Les Paul Studio or save a bit more?

My Studio Deluxe sounds and plays every bit as good as my friends LP Classic.Only difference we could see is the binding.Grade A maple cap and body for a bit less .I prefer the grover tuners over the classic tulip tuners anyways.

As with any major instrument purchase, the smart thing to do is try them out yourself. That being said, later on down the road if you choose to upgrade or flat out sell the guitar the Gibson will fetch a larger portion of its original value.

I tried out an Epiphone Slash Then tried a 2011 Les Paul. There really is a big difference in the sound. Got the Les Paul and not regretted it and believe me I can not afford it but it is awesome. [thumbup] Looks like Ace's Les Paul from the 1970's!!post-35278-017653700 1314730655_thumb.jpg

i am lucky enough to own both. I have a studio mahogany satin black and a traditional 1960 in iced tea. I would honestly say it is like having 2 children. You love them both but for different reasons!!! [biggrin]

Dont be put off by the studio. I tend to play my studio more than my traditional. They do sound different imo. Largely due to the fact that my studio is all mahogany with 490/498's and the traditional is full weight (I think) with maple cap and 57/57+. I tend to prefer the more 'rounded' sound of my traditional, The studio has a little more bite to it but I prefer playing it live. It is lighter and just feels a bit easier to throw around and have fun with. The traditional,however, looks the business and also feels great.

I think the moral of the story is: people are right in what they say, the studio is a great guitar and performs every bit as well. If you are short on cash and you are not bothered by the 'frills' then the studio is the way to go. If you are like me and will not rest until you have the real deal and the look of a 'proper' Les Paul then you had better get saving!!!

You will not go wrong either way but do try them both.

Personally I think there is no comparison between the Epiphone and the Gibson.If you were not to go for the Gibson then I would seriously consider something like a Tokai or an Edwards or something like that over the Epiphone.

Best of luck

Skip the LP altogether and save up for a ES-339. LP size body, 335ish tone, '57 humbuckers, 19 frets clear of the body. A whole lot of guitar for the money, imho.

Well I got this after a bit of research

6bcb640a-2bce-4fd1-b63d-ecb078231a33.jpg

It may not be the most expensive studio but it has the same pickups as the 08 Standard & my Flying V and I just love them...

It arrives Monday (Gonna reverse the magnet, change the knobs, truss rod & add strap loks.)

The only real downside with this model is no hardcase, fortunately I have a spare Epiphone LP Hardcase v [biggrin]

If you can, play as many LP's as possible and see what you prefer...Chances are, one of the models will call your name, and others just won't...Better to find that out now rather than after youy bought one of the "almost" versions.

Good luck-I am sure you will find a great guitar.

mark

Hey guys, just thought I'd get my 2 cents worth in.

I have an early '70s Ovation Electric Legend, an American Strat, an OT Epiphone Wildkat w/bigsby, and new LP Studio 60's Tribute.

I only bought the LP because I fell in love with it ... as far as sound goes, the Wildkat and LP are real close.

The Epi is a beautiful guitar and I'v had a number of LP users try it out ... they all love it too.

Don't knoch the EPi's until you've tried one.

GP [thumbup]

Here'a a question for someone ...

I've been reading on different sites about people buying 60's tribute studios only to find the bodies are made of laminated pieces ... sometimes up to 5 piece.

Mine is 1 solid piece of mahogany ... even the guy at the store comfirmed it.

Does that make mine more desirable than one with a laminated body?

Just wondering ...

GP

Here'a a question for someone ...

I've been reading on different sites about people buying 60's tribute studios only to find the bodies are made of laminated pieces ... sometimes up to 5 piece.

Mine is 1 solid piece of mahogany ... even the guy at the store comfirmed it.

Does that make mine more desirable than one with a laminated body?

Just wondering ...

GP

Hi

They're not laminated. You only get that on the very cheapest guitars which are like a block of thick plywood. Gibson LP bodies are, however, made up of "full thickness" blocks of wood which are joined together along the length of the guitar body. Most of them are made from anywhere between two to four pieces of mahogany but you can get lucky and have a one piece body. Some theorise that the more expensive production models (like Standards and Traditionals) are made of less pieces (one or two) but I've never seen any concrete proof of that. Indeed, my faded SG and my faded LP Studio Tribute are both two piece bodies of equal size which have been joined straight down the middle. You're one piece tribute also serves to disprove that theory.

NB. The best place to see any join lines is at the body edge, near the bridge end strap button.

Alan

One thing that has not been mentioned about the Studio model is that the cap is very slightly thinner and flatter than that of a Les Paul Standard/Traditional. However, the top is still contoured like a violin; in contrast to the completely flat top of a Les Paul Junior which has no cap. The changes resulting from having a thinner cap on the Studio also affects the appearance of the heel of the neck where it joins the body.

Which part is the cap?

Which part is the cap?

The curved bit on the top. It's (usually) a 1/2" thick slab of maple that is glued on top of the 2" thick slab of mahogany which makes up the bulk of the body on the majority of Les Pauls. The body binding covers up the join on most models.

P.

As stated...it really depends on you and the guitar you are choosing. I fell in love with this studio. The Tea burst is amazing and it sounds great. I was never was a big fan of the binding which is the major difference in the two. And the "natural" binding looked great too. For me, the different models of Burstbuckers did not sound that different. Weight is VERY guitar dependent. This one weights a TON! I was surprised to see it was weight relieved. Picking it up I would have thought solid. NEck size differs too. I was in the market for a 60s slim taper. This model is a rounded 50. I played them back to back and it was hard to tell them apart.

the 1st photo gives you as shot of the cap thickness. I traditional cap cannot be too much thicker as it would extend past the binding. The big difference is with the Epis...I believe that is simply a veneer.

e25a7fd6-9885-40d5-8e15-748820a8e54d.jpg

62a7643a-232e-4b93-96ea-2545b8c44197.jpg

c3444b42-66b4-42e1-9b55-8bb519e1487e.jpg