Gibson Brands Forums

New Epi Standard Plain Top (second). Advise please.

Not-Too-Late

I just picked up my new plain top to match the one I bought for my wife. Now we are a matching pair [biggrin] . Perhaps you guys might remember a thread I started regarding the neck that was made from twp pieces of mahogany. It was pointed out to me that it was a normal proceedure called a scarf joint. What about the body? This I thought was to be one piece or can that be made from two or more pieces? There is a noticable join on the side of the body (top when you look down while playing). I guess this is normal as well?

Here I find another case of a miss with QC. First of all the neck was not to factory specs the action was very bad, and I'm happy that the tech at GC was able to sort that out. One of the reasons I like to go when the store opens when the staff are not busy. Another problem is with the placement of the neck strap button. It is screwed in at an angle. These things are not too big of a deal. The set up being way out from factory specs can be corrected with a simple set up, but the strap button not set in properly is really bad QC. I wonder if this sort of thing would pass QC on a Gibson?

Question to you guys . . . would you return it and have them order another based on all what I mentioned above? The set up not being according to factory specs I can live with, but the improperly mounted strap button I can't accept. I don't think it can be corrected without a rebore so-to-speak. I really have a problem with things that I feel should have been taken care of during QC inspection, and with QC allowing this to pass through to the customer should not be acceptable.

What say guys? Thanks for your input and advice.

HNGD NTL, a shame you're not happy with it though, I hope you can get it sorted out to your satisfaction, you should be able to try a price adjustment at least.

And the general rule around here is pics or it didn't happen.

Did you really think you'll get a one-piece body... [confused]

Other brands do it the same way (covered with veneer) even at higher prices

IMG_5902.jpg

IMG_5891.jpg

[lol][lol][lol]

and HNGD [cool]

Just wanted to make sure. Thanks Pete. I have never really seem how they make the body, so I guess I'm a bit nieve here. At least I succeeded in giving you a good laugh. [biggrin]

HNGD NTL, a shame you're not happy with it though, I hope you can get it sorted out to your satisfaction, you should be able to try a price adjustment at least.

And the general rule around here is pics or it didn't happen.

Absolutley. I just got home with it. Funny thing, as much as he adjusted the neck, the action is higher than the first git.

Archived