Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Explorer: Make and Alterations

torca

My son is a hard core Explorer fan, mainly the tone ala Allen Collins (Lynyrd Skynyrd). He's looking at buying an Epiphone Korina 1958 RI Explorer. Is there any opinions on the earlier Korean models vs the newer Chinese made? Also, as he is more or less looking for the Collins tone, how are the stock pickups? In the Gibson Allen Collins Explorer, I've heard they used a Gibson BB 1 in the neck and a BB 2 in the bridge. Is that correct? He is mainly looking at that combination, or a set of BB Pros. Has anyone used either of these sets? How do they sound? Or does anyone have any other recommendations for pickups? Also, he's looking at adding a Vibrola. Is there any manufacturer/online store that sells a better quality Vibrola?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

My son is a hard core Explorer fan, mainly the tone ala Allen Collins (Lynyrd Skynyrd). He's looking at buying an Epiphone Korina 1958 RI Explorer. Is there any opinions on the earlier Korean models vs the newer Chinese made? Also, as he is more or less looking for the Collins tone, how are the stock pickups? In the Gibson Allen Collins Explorer, I've heard they used a Gibson BB 1 in the neck and a BB 2 in the bridge. Is that correct? He is mainly looking at that combination, or a set of BB Pros. Has anyone used either of these sets? How do they sound? Or does anyone have any other recommendations for pickups? Also, he's looking at adding a Vibrola. Is there any manufacturer/online store that sells a better quality Vibrola?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

I have an 2009 Epi Explorer that was made in Korea, but I bought mine with active pickups. The build quality feels excellent to me and I really like the ebony fretboard and overall weight and balance of the guitar.

I generally do not like stock Epiphone pickups. I don't have experience with the Burstbuckers, but I did install the Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Humbucker set in my Epi Les Paul Custom. I got the Duncans for about 1/2 what the Burstbuckers go for. I think that they have killer vintage tone and you could probably dial in that Skynrd sound with them.

Here's a clip of my Les Paul with the Duncans

http://www.box.net/shared/s50ljsm8zq

I generally do not like stock Epiphone pickups.

You can radically alter the tone of any pickup's output for only a few dollars using capacitors, I know of 3 ways to do this.

1/ change the tone pot caps to a different capacitance value

2/ treble bleed mod on the volume pots

3/ using a cap inline on the pup's hot lead

The first two are very common mods and are well documented, the third is a little more obscure but there's a great thread on it HERE.

I would try these mods first before dismissing what the standard pups are capable of, and quite possibly save yourself a bunch of money into the bargain.

Archived