Gibson Brands Forums

Hawaii Five-0

Californiaman

So when I was in seventh grade I learned how to play the theme song to Hawaii Five-0 on cornet.

Yesterday out of the depths of conscious I started playing it on guitar.

Nailed it too. It just came out. Now I can play it on guitar. Go figure. The last time I played it was in the '70s.

That's one of those songs that, despite being a TV show theme song, should probably go on the list of "most recognizable tunes of the 20th century." I remember playing it in high school marching band in the seventies. I was at a wedding reception today, and the DJ played some sort of remix of it there!

Back then, title songs were played by full orchestras. That makes for great variation and color. I loved 5-O! Book 'em Dan-o. [thumbup]

I've read that Jack Lord essentially retired after the last Hawaii Five-O episode wrapped. As part owner, the show made him a wealthy man. Besides, who would want to leave Hawaii for Hollyweird?

Back then, title songs were played by full orchestras. That makes for great variation and color. I loved 5-O! Book 'em Dan-o. [thumbup]

I've read that Jack Lord essentially retired after the last Hawaii Five-O episode wrapped. As part owner, the show made him a wealthy man. Besides, who would want to leave Hawaii for Hollyweird?

Yeah no kidding. I visited Hawaii during the 70s and again on our honeymoon in '97. Flying into Oahu you could see how drastically it had changed.

Fortunately I honeymooned on Maui and didn't have to stay on Oahu. I'm sure it has it's good spots.

I might be stating the obvious, but I believe The Ventures recorded the original TV theme. :-k

I've sat around and worked out the melody line on guitar, but then I forget about it and have to start all over learning it the next time. #-o

Guest rogerb

I was a teenager when the original Hawaii Five-O came out. I bought a 45 RPM by the Ventures. I don't believe they are the ones who actually played the theme song on the TV show but it is still pretty good. Trivia question: Where did they get the term Five-O?

Guest farnsbarns

I was a teenager when the original Hawaii Five-O came out. I bought a 45 RPM by the Ventures. I don't believe they are the ones who actually played the theme song on the TV show but it is still pretty good. Trivia question: Where did they get the term Five-O?

I was just about to look up who did it. Listening to it today made me think of Harry Chappin.

Guest rogerb

Are you aware of the fact that Sunday the 21st was the anniversary of the admission of Hawaii as the 50th state, whence the name Hawaii-50? Mere coincidemce?

You got it! Five-O comes from the 50th state. give that man a leis!

Are you aware of the fact that Sunday the 21st was the anniversary of the admission of Hawaii as the 50th state, whence the name Hawaii-50? Mere coincidemce?

My father was born in Hawaii before it became the 50th state.

He was there when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.

Brother Israel. RIP.

Your voice is hauntingly comforting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I&ob=av2e

Archived