Gibson Brands Forums

Identify this Les Paul

rot_n_roll

Can someone identify this Les Paul for me? There are some good close-ups in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj6RkMHsw9o&feature=related

It looks like a Rhoads with some modifications, or it could just be an old LP Custom. Any ideas? It's panned right in case you're wearing headphones.

It belongs to Bill Steer of Carcass, Firebird, and Napalm Death. He was\is endorsed by Ibanez, ESP, and plays an LP Junior, but this is the first time I've ever seen him with this.

post-35280-045281800 1313892715_thumb.jpg

post-35280-093105700 1313892732_thumb.jpg

post-35280-031587500 1313892755_thumb.jpg

either a badly yellowed Custom Antique Ivory or badly yellowed Custom Natural ??

The Custom Ivory is a good guess. If you click on the first picture, you can see a screw hole where a pickguard was removed (the Custom Ivory doesn't seem to have been issued with one). It also might not be all that old an instrument, judging by the freshness of the grain in that hole.

• 1 month later...

Ah, Bill Steer playing yet a other odd les paul?

He owns quite a few, even vintage les pauls that you didnt even think could scream so well.

Tis the life of metal, no?

He mostly plays his '50s-era Les Paul Juniors; exclusively with Firebird and Gentleman's Pistols (see my avatar); but played ESP LP copies during the early Carcass reunion shows. He went back to his Juniors during the last few shows, as well as playing that odd yellow Les Paul, with Carcass and Angel Witch (I wonder if he borrowed it for that Graspop show, as they weren't even scheduled to play there; taking Mastodon's place when they couldn't make it); played through an old 5150 head with a noise gate. Look for the Neurotic Deathfest 2010 shows on YouTube and you'll see/hear this. I wonder if they'll do anymore shows in the future. With Arch Enemy touring their new album, as well as Bill doing time in three other bands, it's doubtful for the near future.

Bill is my favorite guitar player, and one who has always done things his way, musically.

Yes, that's a Norlin-era Les Paul Custom. White, shaded to yellow. Pickguard removed. Very nice piece. Cheers... bence

Did a little research into the Norlan-era Paul... wow... what a divisive era that was. I'll stop there, as I definitely don't want to open THAT can of worms (and throw this thread off-topic), but thanks for the info. I'm amazed at how much that guitar has yellowed. I thought the yellow was the finish!

Despite the unorthodox construction they are great instruments. I wish I had one. As far as yellowing is concerned: take a look at Randy Rhoads' original guitar. Look at photos of the Blizzard of Ozz tour and how it looks now. In 1980 it was just off-white, these days it's completely yellow. Lots of nicotine can speed up this process. Cheers... Bence

Despite the unorthodox construction they are great instruments. I wish I had one. As far as yellowing is concerned: take a look at Randy Rhoads' original guitar. Look at photos of the Blizzard of Ozz tour and how it looks now. In 1980 it was just off-white, these days it's completely yellow. Lots of nicotine can speed up this process. Cheers... Bence

I was just surprised at how yellow it was; it actually looks like a paint job. I suppose the shade of yellowing in the pictures could be a function of the cameras used, lighting, etc. I know Bill doesn't smoke, so it could be that the previous owner did (he acquired the LP in the past two years or so). Randy smoked for sure; they opened up the case for his one-off Jackson Kelly to do another replica and the smell was still there after all of these years...

Exactly...Dear Randy! God bless Him! I am a heavy smoker too. Thus, I have issues with my white door and window frames at home. Have to paint them every year! For such a short period of time wood painted white can turn to caramel-yellow color. I am ashamed to admit, I do not know much about Bill, but assuming this is a vintage guitar, I agree either the previous owner smoked or he was gigging in small bars.

Exactly...Dear Randy! God bless Him! I am a heavy smoker too. Thus, I have issues with my white door and window frames at home. Have to paint them every year! For such a short period of time wood painted white can turn to caramel-yellow color. I am ashamed to admit, I do not know much about Bill, but assuming this is a vintage guitar, I agree either the previous owner smoked or he was gigging in small bars.

I have seen the effect of cigarettes on a light-colored guitar, but that one is just so pronounced, it's crazy! Randy's guitars aren't quite that yellowed, but you can see the effect, and that's what I consider normal. Bill's LP looks like it spent a year in a chamber filled with cigarette smoke! Then again, it could just be the photography that makes it look a lot yellower than it really is.

Nobody knows that much about Bill, since he's one of those guys that does his own thing musically (going from grindcore to brutal, then melodic death metal with Napalm Death and Carcass, and then blues rock with Firebird), is quite shy, and humbly addresses the influence he's had on many players in those areas. Although Carcass' Heartwork album from 1993 didn't do that well when it was released, many bands and musicians picked up on it and now consider it a major influence on the "Gothenburg" melodic death metal sound (along with At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul). I've followed the same path somewhat; going from a raging metal and grind head as a kid and 20-something, to going back to my roots and actually learning how to play properly (with particular emphasis on the blues). I look up to him not only as an incredible guitarist, but as a guy who does what makes him happy musically, regardless of the influence of others in specific genres and scenes.

I smoke too much as well. I shouldn't have picked it up again after quitting for ten years and should just quit again, but I like to smoke and hate the two months of depression that follow quitting :)

In any event, thanks for the info.

Archived