Gibson Brands Forums

My First Band with a Gibson Acoustic

hsech

bandinthe60s.jpg

Me on the right with an old Gibson LGO. I added a DeArmond pickup. Note the old Silvertone amps and the Ampeg bass amp. The other guitar and the bass were Silvertone. This was somewhere around 1963 or 1964.

Karen, this is a guitar forum not a shoe catalog. They look like Full Quill Ostrich to me.

I have a picture of a friends band from about the same era and they all dressed to match also. Got to remember that is how the Beatles looked when they came to America also.

Well what did you do with that guitar?

I know I'm supposed to pay attention to the guitars but I really like the shoes! [biggrin][thumbup]

What ever happened to the guitar? Do you still have it? I'm guessing you don't have the shoes any more.

Great pic!

I still have the old LGO, but it's got a chunk missing out of the back. I may get it restored some day just for the memories.

Boy howdy I remember bands like this. Heck with the guitar.......what happened to these boys?! How many went to Nam? How many came back?

The bass player was killed in Nam. The other guitar player and I went to Nam. I went twice. The drummer is a successful business guy in California and the singer died from cancer a couple of years ago.

Those are great pix!!! '63 was a little soon for me (not much!) I've often wished I was part of that time though, lots of exciting music was bubblin' up!

Somewhere I have the master of an old promo poster I used for all my gigs...have to root through 500 pounds of odds and ends to find it though...

Love the pics. Makes me think of 'The Wonders'. (I know, I know. It was a cheesy flick. For some reason, I still watch it every time I catch it on TV.)

The funny thing is, that could have been a really popular song in 1964. We tend to think of that time in terms of the rise of the Beatles and the Stones, but there were a whole bunch of really mediocre songs that become pretty big hits in that mid-60s era. Think the Monkees, think groups like the Cyrkle ("Red Rubber Ball"), and a million others. Even some of the early Lennon/McCartney stuff isn't anything to write home about (although I could never write it).

Even Buddy Holly (God help me for saying this, because I love him) wrote some songs that were precariously close to the "Moon-June-Spoon" level of lyrics and melody.

It wasn't until the Beatles stopped touring that their music exploded in quality and left a lot of "pop" music in the dust.

I'm a sucker for movies about the music business, particularly '60s-'70s genre stuff. "Almost Famous" is one of my favorites.

The funny thing is, that could have been a really popular song in 1964. We tend to think of that time in terms of the rise of the Beatles and the Stones, but there were a whole bunch of really mediocre songs that become pretty big hits in that mid-60s era. Think the Monkees, think groups like the Cyrkle ("Red Rubber Ball"), and a million others. Even some of the early Lennon/McCartney stuff isn't anything to write home about (although I could never write it).

Even Buddy Holly (God help me for saying this, because I love him) wrote some songs that were precariously close to the "Moon-June-Spoon" level of lyrics and melody.

It wasn't until the Beatles stopped touring that their music exploded in quality and left a lot of "pop" music in the dust.

I'm a sucker for movies about the music business, particularly '60s-'70s genre stuff. "Almost Famous" is one of my favorites.

Amen to that, J45nick!

I rediscovered Red Rubber Ball, e.g., in the last year or so -- some fabulous rhythm playing way up the neck on that song.

Also going through the Turtles, Paul Revere. etc., stuff lately. Great fun!!

Fred

Amen to that, J45nick!

I rediscovered Red Rubber Ball, e.g., in the last year or so -- some fabulous rhythm playing way up the neck on that song.

Also going through the Turtles, Paul Revere. etc., stuff lately. Great fun!!

Fred

And speaking of derivative one-hit wonders, think of "Lies" by the Knickerbockers, who tried so hard to sound like more successful groups (including the Beatles).

No, not all the music of that era was great, but there is plenty that was...and still is. There are a lot of real gems waiting to be unearthed, things that weren't necessarily popular then, but are pretty archetypal if you are into defining musical genres by location and time: think the Byrds as representing LA folk rock, or the Airplane and its precursors as the prototypical SF psychedelic sound.

There was an awful lot of regional music in the 60s, and I'm not just talking Motown and Philly/Jersey sound (Frankie Valli, not The Boss).

Archived