Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with my 1961 ES335TD (really!)

GBrag

Ok the deed is done. I (easily) removed the dowels as suspected ... actually small portions of dowels. The pieces were just lightly screwed in, again, I am sure to facilitate glueing the dots on ... (what else?). The original sleeves are still intact. It does look like there is finish debris on top of them. I cleaned one ... maybe an oops ... just to see if the sleeve was there. The threads were dirty as well and I could not tell if they were just cut in wood at first. (I have not seen it listed anywhere, but for anyone's information the thread size it 5/16-24). This still does not point to a tailstop ever being there, but probably more likely. As mentioned previously, Gibson says that they did ship guitars with the holes and them covered when ordered with vibratos. They may have had the sleeves already in them as well, which will take a bit more digging to verify.

Looking for NOS or original tail stop pieces with the help of Rob Ober of Guitar Desires who does appraisals and brokering of fine guitars ... and provides other related services.

Thanks for everyone's help. We are getting there.

Gene

post-35315-031883200 1316628898_thumb.jpg

Regarding removing the Lyre ... I will never do it. No need at all.

Looking for NOS or original tail stop pieces...

I'm confused again. If you're never going to remove the lyre vibrola as you said above, why are you looking for a stop tailpiece?

Glad you figured out the dowel situation. I would expect that the threading for stop tail studs was installed originally, even if the guitar originally was shipped with a vibrato. I could be wrong on that, but it seems like common sense to me.

Yes I agree. I would think the sleeves were there as part of the mfg process regardless of whether a bridge would be there or not installed. Basically, if the holes are there the sleeves are there.

In answer to your question, it has been suggested that the Vibrola should be removed, even if it leaves holes ... which should be then professionally restored. (I have worked wood enough in my life that they would never totally disappear.) The feeling is it is worth much more w/o the tailpiece and as original as possible. Finish flaws are less of a problem it seems. The other option is to HAVE both available and leave the restoration option up to the buyer. I prefer the latter, and it is not because of the expense. I would think modifications should be done by the one who gets it, not the seller because who knows what people really want ... it is too easy to guess wrong. But, I had trouble selling a house because I had a countertop allowance. People wanted to see it "finished" and then make a decision. Some people need that closure, so that thought process, I guess, is very valid. (It just goes against my anal logic.) [rolleyes]

Thanks for the reply.

Gene

In answer to your question, it has been suggested that the Vibrola should be removed, even if it leaves holes ... which should be then professionally restored. (I have worked wood enough in my life that they would never totally disappear.) The feeling is it is worth much more w/o the tailpiece and as original as possible. Finish flaws are less of a problem it seems. The other option is to HAVE both available and leave the restoration option up to the buyer. I prefer the latter, and it is not because of the expense. I would think modifications should be done by the one who gets it, not the seller because who knows what people really want ... it is too easy to guess wrong.

You're basically repeating things I've already told you, and I'm still not sure I understand your plan. If you're going to sell it with the vibrola intact, why not let the next owner buy their own stop tailpiece?

Oh well, sounds like you're getting trustworthy pro advice. Good luck.

Yeah JimR, you are right. It is subtle [tongue]. I guess I want to have the tailstop available as an option to a new buyer, maybe to create more interest if there is reluctance. Or, if I DO decide to take off the Lyre and do the refinish deed I will then use it. While taking the Lyre off MAY make sense, it goes against my very fiber ... Flip side, if it is worth more that way then maybe I should. But I am not in a hurry, and may talk my way out of selling. So, as usual, I may be procrastinating (maybe someone reading this post will make me a ridiculously good offer :lol:) In the meantime maybe I should buy a 335 Epi to satisfy my occasional humbucker cravings and keep the miles of the pearl.

Thanks again for the thoughts ... pushing me towards clarity.

Gene

Archived