Gibson Brands Forums

1985 Custom Shop - What is this guitar?

ToneBaron

I have this Gibson from the Custom Shop but I don't know what it is and haven't found info on it anywhere.

I would love to know more about this guitar!

How many were made?

What's it called?

Couple more pics here

DSC03246.JPG

DSC01220.JPG

That's a 1985 Gibson Custom Shop Q-200. It was designed by Chavel Jackson when he worked for Gibson' date=' ebony fingerboard, P90 and dirty fingers humbucker. There's a whole Q-series with varying pickup configs. Here's a couple more.

[img']http://www.vintage-stuff.co.uk/images/cshop.gif[/img]q4000%201.jpgintere1.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's a 1985 Gibson Custom Shop Q-200. It was designed by Chavel Jackson when he worked for Gibson' date=' ebony fingerboard, P90 and dirty fingers humbucker. There's a whole Q-series with varying pickup configs. Here's a couple more.

[img']http://www.vintage-stuff.co.uk/images/cshop.gif[/img]q4000%201.jpgintere1.jpg

the gray one with 3 pickups is my q-4000 there is not much info about them out there and gibson as usual with there weird guitars knows nothing about them as far as being designed by Charvel Jackson that is incorrect he only designed the WRC NOT the Q Seres they were designed by the CS (in house designer after Charvel left) from what i know the with the q-4000 about 5 were actualy made (2 red 1 blue with stars 1 blue with dots and 1 or 2 prototypes in metalic gray) the q-400 seres were about the same manny more were made and mostly sold oversees they have a bolt on neck the q-3000 had a few hundered made and a bunch of 2000 were made in various configurations

again Charvel had nothing to do with this guitar only the WRC! and the hundred seres (q-100 200 etc.) all have bolt on necks the 4000's are the rareist of any "production" guitar Gibson has ever done!

• 1 month later...
...as far as being designed by Charvel Jackson that is incorrect he only designed the WRC NOT the Q Seres they were designed by the CS (in house designer after Charvel left)

again Charvel had nothing to do with this guitar only the WRC! and the hundred seres (q-100 200 etc.) all have bolt on necks the 4000's are the rareist of any "production" guitar Gibson has ever done!

Actually the designers' name is Wayne Charvel (not Charvel Jackson). And the WRC wasn't the only guitar that he designed. He also designed the Gibson SR-71. There also may have been others that I haven't found yet.

• 1 year later...

I love my Q2000. They were also referred to as Q200 in the beginning. The design is typical Charvel/Jackson. It even looks like some of the older Carvin's (which could have been the same designer) from the late 70's and early 80's. They are sort of illegitimate children of Gibson. Not only was the production limited, they didnt keep good enough records to even get a wiring schematic (ask them for yourself if you dont believe me).

They also dont retain the same value as a typical Gibson like a LP or 335. Typically they sell for between 3 and 600 bucks. I found mine in a Pawnshop for 500 in awesome condition. (Oh and just for clarification, the original pic from the main post is a Q2000 identical to mine, mine is just a couple days older, made of day 105 of the same year. Also the guys name is Wayne Charvel. The other guy is Grover Jackson. Wayne sold out Charvel to Grover in like '78 or so. Grover in turn sold out Jackson to a Japanese company named AMIC or Akai Musical Instruments Corporation in '89.) [cool]

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 2/15/2008 at 5:27 PM, ToneBaron said:

Anyone else want to chime in?

lipsakaandy@gmail.com 3 models were produced q1000,q2000,&q3000. 3 pick-up (q3000),2 pick-up (q2000),1 pick-up (q1000). I own a 1000. Best playing guitar I ever owned

1585772744101.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi I have a red Q 4000  Three pickup one Humbucker  2 single coils and a dark metallic grey Q 4000  Three pickup one Humbucker  two single coils and a black Q 1000 with one Humbucker pickup All three are custom shop and have the neck built into the body not bolted Also the on your asking about with the two single coils I believe is a Q 2000 and if it had three single coils it would be Q 3000

Edited by Diver Down

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have an ebony 1985 Q4000.  The pick up rings are worn out from years of playing.  I want to replace them.  Gibson has no idea about drawings, specifications, or who made these rings.  If anyone has any information even on a decent set of used rings.  I am having the guitar restored to original condition by Gibson and these are the last missing components to make it right.

Thanks

21 hours ago, RWB67 said:

Hi everyone,

I have an ebony 1985 Q4000.  The pick up rings are worn out from years of playing.  I want to replace them.  Gibson has no idea about drawings, specifications, or who made these rings.  If anyone has any information even on a decent set of used rings.  I am having the guitar restored to original condition by Gibson and these are the last missing components to make it right.

Thanks

So the maker of the guitar has no clue about pup rings on an almost 40 year old guitar that they made for probably 3 years. I for one am shocked. Any one still in Gibson's employ from the mid 80's? Probably not many if any? And records, notes and blueprints, who needs them? Gibson is the worst at documenting their own stuff.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper