Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Epiphone Les Paul real or fake?!

IanMak3103

Cricket Video snipped

Heh.. the image of that bug isn't referred to as a cricket here in the US, it looks more like a grasshopper to me. If you wanna see a strange-looking bug, look up "mole cricket".

Anyways.. many of the extensive modifications and upgrades that are performed on off-the-shelf guitars have some potential for deception, IMO.. maybe not from the existing owners, but later on.

The blue labels and other cosmetic changes which often have no affect on the sound of a plain or deluxe stock Epiphone, but intead, they just support an industry of aftermarket accessories sellers, and could eventually lead to a lot of deception, even though that may not have been the original intention.

I'm missing the reason for why the other poster/attempted seller is being referred to as another name here in this thread (just doesn't matter to me) but when I read the eBag ad, a lot of the description was vague, so as to not be clear that the various features of the guitar were a result of his own parts swapping, not the manufacturer's features.

Many of the cosmetic changes being made are probably going to add to a huge level of future confusion in the "is this Epiphone fake?" category.

It seems that since Epiphone produces so many affordable models to choose from, that the majority of them end up as franken-customs. I couldn't say how many times I've seen posts stating that this-or-those stock parts are crap, and are the definitely (sometimes imagined) reasons for various problems with tuning or various other issues (tuners, pickups, nut, bridge, pots, caps etc).

Regards,

Bill

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh.. the image of that bug isn't referred to as a cricket here in the US, it looks more like a grasshopper to me. If you wanna see a strange-looking bug, look up "mole cricket".

Anyways.. many of the extensive modifications and upgrades that are performed on off-the-shelf guitars have some potential for deception, IMO.. maybe not from the existing owners, but later on.

The blue labels and other cosmetic changes which often have no affect on the sound of a plain or deluxe stock Epiphone, but intead, they just support an industry of aftermarket accessories sellers, and could eventually lead to a lot of deception, even though that may not have been the original intention.

I'm missing the reason for why the other poster/attempted seller is being referred to as another name here in this thread (just doesn't matter to me) but when I read the eBag ad, a lot of the description was vague, so as to not be clear that the various features of the guitar were a result of his own parts swapping, not the manufacturer's features.

Many of the cosmetic changes being made are probably going to add to a huge level of future confusion in the "is this Epiphone fake?" category.

It seems that since Epiphone produces so many affordable models to choose from, that the majority of them end up as franken-customs. I couldn't say how many times I've seen posts stating that this-or-those stock parts are crap, and are the definitely (sometimes imagined) reasons for various problems with tuning or various other issues (tuners, pickups, nut, bridge, pots, caps etc).

Regards,

Bill

Bill,

The reason he is referred to by another name is because he changed his user name after several unfortunate events. The parts swapping that you mentioned appear to be authentic (they are now available on ebay! LOL), the guitar.......not so much.

Heh.. the image of that bug isn't referred to as a cricket here in the US, it looks more like a grasshopper to me. If you wanna see a strange-looking bug, look up "mole cricket"

Thanks Bill,

This raises several salient issues:

1. People should always admit when they are wrong,

2. People shouldn't knowingly say something is one thing after they have become aware that it is, in fact, something quite different, & most importantly

3. People shouldn't sit naked on the lawn if they have a mole cricket infestation... It can prove incredibly uncomfortable for them... & it annoys the heck out of the mole crickets [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iVKsqimliQ

The other thread about the fake guitar in the Lounge is locked now? [confused]

Me so sad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqyjEMA_yug

Pete: I'm sure Mr Stein was just rightly pointing out that we are STILL awaiting a response from Snakey re exactly when he first posted his guitar for sale on eBay & what his intentions are for it's body now that he has removed it from sale [thumbup]

'Redemption' STILL Awaits [rolleyes]

.....As I sit in silence, I too contemplate. I think about the things I have done wrong, and I think about what Jesus said-"love each other".

I sit, contemplating the silence, the silence of a group of men. A group of men from all parts of the world, all with the same goal: forgiveness. An international coalition of friendship, offering a chance at friendship redeemed.

Archived