Gibson Brands Forums

Would you prefer the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III or the 2010 Tribute 1960??

IanMak3103

What is the intended use Ian, gigging, home and/or studio ???

Mainly used for gigging in my church band and practice at home. But I wanted to start learning abt home studio, so I can record & edit myself, most importantly, use it to improve my skills, as I've heard once u start record ur own stuff, u get to improve pretty quickly.

Mainly used for gigging in my church band and practice at home. But I wanted to start learning abt home studio, so I can record & edit myself, most importantly, use it to improve my skills, as I've heard once u start record ur own stuff, u get to improve pretty quickly.

Well for that situation I would go with the Ultra, it has a wider variety of tones available, giving you a broader pallete, my reasons are mentioned in this post.

EDIT: it also comes with a USB interface and recording software included which would be a great thing for your planned uses.

With the intention of Recording I would surgest the Ultra III as it comes with a USB output and recording software.

However their are also amps with this USB feature such as the Fender Mustang series.

With an Ultra you get EPI pickups where as with a Tribute you get Gibson 57 Classics, which should sound better.

I also hear an Ultra is difficult to mod with the cavity filled with so much tech...

So again its a TRY BEFORE BUY thing...

Well for that situation I would go with the Ultra, it has a wider variety of tones available, giving you a broader pallete, my reasons are mentioned in this post.

EDIT: it also comes with a USB interface and recording software included which would be a great thing for your planned uses.

With the intention of Recording I would surgest the Ultra III as it comes with a USB output and recording software.

However their are also amps with this USB feature such as the Fender Mustang series.

With an Ultra you get EPI pickups where as with a Tribute you get Gibson 57 Classics, which should sound better.

I also hear an Ultra is difficult to mod with the cavity filled with so much tech...

So again its a TRY BEFORE BUY thing...

I have tried the Ultra II in my local guitar shop - Gallin's Music Pro Shop, as the Ultra III hasn't arrived yet, so I used that as a sort of indication. I do love their innovation and new features, however, that Nanomag pup didn't appeal to me like in the video!! Maybe becoz of their amp? Or they haven't put in the 9V battery? Also, I heard from a friend who has played guitar for 30yrs said, it's better to get a guitar with just one good feature, as it's usually a better performance. He said the more features are usually a gimmick.

I've also tried the Tribute, the pups are slightly better, especially the sounds are nicer, smoother and more sustain in the high notes. But the thing is, IT HASN'T GOT A PICKGUARD! I really love my les paul with a pickguard!

I have tried the Ultra II in my local guitar shop - Gallin's Music Pro Shop, as the Ultra III hasn't arrived yet, so I used that as a sort of indication. I do love their innovation and new features, however, that Nanomag pup didn't appeal to me like in the video!! Maybe becoz of their amp? Or they haven't put in the 9V battery? Also, I heard from a friend who has played guitar for 30yrs said, it's better to get a guitar with just one good feature, as it's usually a better performance. He said the more features are usually a gimmick.

I've also tried the Tribute, the pups are slightly better, especially the sounds are nicer, smoother and more sustain in the high notes. But the thing is, IT HASN'T GOT A PICKGUARD! I really love my les paul with a pickguard!

Believe me, the Ultras aren't a gimmick, they give a broad range of very usable tones, I've got two of them, and the Ultra-III uses new pickups which are a much better set than in the Ultra II.

A pickguard is nothing, you can buy them for around $20 - $30 and put it on yourself.

It wouldn't work without battery #-o

Didn't you hear if the nanomag was working - or not :-k

I tried playing with the tones and volumes, but I didn't hear much differences.

Then the guy in the shop tried it, what I hear is the same result, then he told me as it's only an 'Acoustic like' sound, you wouldn't expect much difference.

I think he's trying to talk me out of the Ultra series, and buy the 2010 Tribute 60's

I tried playing with the tones and volumes, but I didn't hear much differences.

Then the guy in the shop tried it, what I hear is the same result, then he told me as it's only an 'Acoustic like' sound, you wouldn't expect much difference.

I think he's trying to talk me out of the Ultra series, and buy the 2010 Tribute 60's

I don't see how you could not hear a huge difference between twin humbuckers and a nanomag. I have an Ultra II and there is a great difference in sound between the two. What kind of amp was the guy using to demo the Ultra? If he was using a Line 6 Spider and had all the nanomag controls on the back of the guitar maxed out, and playing through a dirty amp model, then yeah, I could understand the problem. But if setup properly and played properly to demo the guitar, you should have no problem discerning between a humbucker and the nanomag.

One other thing that could have happened is the sales person plugged into the wrong jack. Sometimes they don't know their product well enough.

There are 2 jacks in an Ultra. I have an Ultra 2. One is for the regular pickups, and the other is for either just the nanomag, or all of the pups depending on how the controls are used.

There is definitely a BIG difference in sound.

One thing that is also nice about the Ultra is that you can plug it into 2 different amps at once, and get a huge variety of sounds.

One other thing that could have happened is the sales person plugged into the wrong jack. Sometimes they don't know their product well enough.

There are 2 jacks in an Ultra. I have an Ultra 2. One is for the regular pickups, and the other is for either just the nanomag, or all of the pups depending on how the controls are used.

There is definitely a BIG difference in sound.

One thing that is also nice about the Ultra is that you can plug it into 2 different amps at once, and get a huge variety of sounds.

Maybe I'll find time to go to another guitar shop to test it thoroughly, as I am not convinced with it as well. I've always thought the Ultra series have the advantage combining electric & acoustic sounds in 1 guitar. At least that's what got me interested in the first place.

Archived