Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP (studio) NOISE !

hyperliteBo

Hey everybody,

I'm new here and I registered to this forum because I have a problem.

I own a Gibson LP Studio and it makes a hell of a noise.

But then when on the neck pickup and tone turned down decreases much (but not totally gone)

First I thought it may be the shielding of the guitar but then Gibson said LP's aren't shielded (it is not necessary they say)

I'm really desperate, I mean it is A LOT of noise, I attached a sample I recorded...

First I play on bridge pickup, then at 10sec I switch to neck and turn down its tone, you'll notice that the noise volume decreases (by turning down TONE??)

then at 18secs I switch to clean to show you that even then it is a lot of noise :(

Please help

Greetings

Gibson LP noise.mp3

Can't tell if that is a ground noise or something else. I recommend taking the guitar to an authorized warranty service center for an evaluation. To locate an authorized Gibson service center in your area click on this link:

http://www.gibson.com/Service/Warranty%20S 8/6/2010 5:08 PMervice%20Center/

Your link does not work...

And I already took it to my local guitar center but still not fixed.

A few questions Hyperlitebo.

[1] do you have any other guitar If so, does it make less noise when hooked into the same rig?

[2] does the noise get louder if you take your hands off the strings?

[3] does the sound change or decrease if you rotate the instrument, e.g turn 360 degrees while holding it?

[4] is the sound the same if you move into a different room?

I'm asking because your recording sounds a lot like the noise that lighting dimmers or computer monitors can induce into a guitar. I'm also trying to figure if the bridge is properly grounded.

A few questions Hyperlitebo.

[1] do you have any other guitar If so, does it make less noise when hooked into the same rig?

[2] does the noise get louder if you take your hands off the strings?

[3] does the sound change or decrease if you rotate the instrument, e.g turn 360 degrees while holding it?

[4] is the sound the same if you move into a different room?

I'm asking because your recording sounds a lot like the noise that lighting dimmers or computer monitors can induce into a guitar. I'm also trying to figure if the bridge is properly grounded.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

[1] Yes I tried a Ibanez S series with the exact same setup... no noise at all.

[2] Te noise is a bit louder when not touching the strings (or bridge) but not much actually.

[3] I rotated it in many different ways... no changes

[4] Room does not make a difference.

But you may be on to something, I'm hooked up with a Line 6 POD Studio GX.

When playing trough my amp the noise is actually less but still quite noticeable :s

If your LP is a humbucker equipped guitar, shielding won't really matter significantly. By chance did you buy one with P90s? Like the sixties tribute?

Hell, if I were you, I'd just exchange the instrument. Of course, I've boughten guitars from stores that pretty much sign-off on their products when it leaves the door, forcing you to go through Gibson.

Weird noise as it doesn't sound like the typical ground loops noise.

Definitely sounds like it is picking up an external frequency.

Since the noise reduces when you touch the strings I would believe it is related to a ground loop problem.

You must have some cowboy guitar techs out your way to not realize the issue is still there yet take your money.

Have you tried plugging direct into the amp to eliminate the possibility of something within the effects loop causing the problem?

Either way I'd still put my money on the guitar wiring.

Will be interesting to hear what the issue really is.

Okay so I hear you have the gain cranked somewhere in your signal chain. (pedals or amp)

try just using the clean channel no gain.. turn the volume to a respectable level and re-record please.

In the clip I already recorded I switch to clean (no pedals or whatsoever used, just straight input) at 18 seconds the noise is less but still there...

If it's new, I wouldn't even waste my time. Exchange it for another.

If your LP is a humbucker equipped guitar, shielding won't really matter significantly. By chance did you buy one with P90s? Like the sixties tribute?

Hell, if I were you, I'd just exchange the instrument. Of course, I've boughten guitars from stores that pretty much sign-off on their products when it leaves the door, forcing you to go through Gibson.

No it is not one of those P-90's, I have normal Humbucker pick-ups.

Well while the instrument is fairly new (a year old I think)so it'll still be in warranty, but I bought it in Germany (MUSIC STORE) one of the biggest and better musicstores in Europe.

So if i wanted to bring it back I'd had to drive from Belgium (where I live) to Germany and back, and probably a few days later I'd had to do the same all over again... and fuel prices aren't exactly low at the moment xD.

Sending it by mail is no option for me...

I could do some local musicstores here... but like I said, some of them are not exactly friendly when they realize the instrument isn't bought in their store :P

There's no way that the guitar is making that noise. It has to be coming from some external interference. Try a different amp at a different place - not in your building. Did you play it at Guitar Center and get the same noise?

I recently move to another house, is that place different enough? :)

and I practice at a friends house...

Hello everybody,

I've got the same problem.

I got my LP studio limited WC on monday , and I also have much more hum in comparison to my previos guitar Epiphone LP Custom.

I plug it directly to my amp (Marshall DSL100) and hum is very noticible on overdrive channel.

As I touch the stings it is less buzzy but still significant as for me.

My Epiphone is silent as I touch the strings with the same amp setting.

On clean channel Epiphone is silent no matter if I touch the strings or not, Gibson buzzes till I touch.

The hum is the same in neck and bridge position , there is less of it when both pickups are in use.

If someone knows the solution I appreciate sharing it with me.

Adam

PS. I hope some Gibson guy will give an answer.

Hello everybody,

I've got the same problem.

I got my LP studio limited WC on monday , and I also have much more hum in comparison to my previos guitar Epiphone LP Custom.

I plug it directly to my amp (Marshall DSL100) and hum is very noticible on overdrive channel.

As I touch the stings it is less buzzy but still significant as for me.

My Epiphone is silent as I touch the strings with the same amp setting.

On clean channel Epiphone is silent no matter if I touch the strings or not, Gibson buzzes till I touch.

The hum is the same in neck and bridge position , there is less of it when both pickups are in use.

If someone knows the solution I appreciate sharing it with me.

Adam

PS. I hope some Gibson guy will give an answer.

Hey, I don't know if this is a coincidence but I have the LP Worn Brown WB...

If u play with both pickups and you turn down the TONE of the neck pick-up completely, is their a difference?

Then we would have the EXACT same problem with almost the exact same guitar and totally different set-ups...

Lol I have an ohmmeter but I don't really know how to work with it...

[1] It will have one or more "ohms' ranges ( Ohms is the omega symbol). Typically, if its a modern digital meter, there will be three ranges: 200 ohms, 2K ohms and 20K ohms;

[2] set it to 200 ohms, and touch the ends of the two probes together - the display should show close to zero, as there is very little resistance in the wires.

[3] if this works, try the following:

A. Press one probe into the nut/shaft of the guitar jack

B. While doing this, touch the strings, a pole piece of each pickup, and the nuts of the potentiometers with the other probe

C. In each case, you should see close to zero ohms reading on the meter.

let us know the result

[1] It will have one or more "ohms' ranges ( Ohms is the omega symbol). Typically, if its a modern digital meter, there will be three ranges: 200 ohms, 2K ohms and 20K ohms;

[2] set it to 200 ohms, and touch the ends of the two probes together - the display should show close to zero, as there is very little resistance in the wires.

[3] if this works, try the following:

A. Press one probe into the nut/shaft of the guitar jack

B. While doing this, touch the strings, a pole piece of each pickup, and the nuts of the potentiometers with the other probe

C. In each case, you should see close to zero ohms reading on the meter.

let us know the result

Hey,

I did as you told me and the result varies.

I didn't know where EXACTLY on the jack i had to put the probe so I tried different possitions.

I posted an image to make sure you'dd know where exactly I held the probe.

So at the on place it stayed 1 and the other place close to zero (no matter where I putted the other probe; pole piece neck/bridge pickup or strings)

Don't know if this is normal or not.

I also tried from pickup to pickup from pickup/strings to the grounding wire, everything came close to zero...

398265057.jpg

***HAHA I mean cloSe to zero [thumbup]

Hey,

I didn't know where EXACTLY on the jack i had to put the probe so I tried different possitions.

So at the on place it stayed 1 and the other place close to zero (no matter where I putted the other probe; pole piece neck/bridge pickup or strings)

I also tried from pickup to pickup from pickup/strings to the grounding wire, everything came close to zero...

398265057.jpg

Number 2 is the ground lug for the jack and is the correct place to test from. If you are getting close to a zero reading between this lug and the strings, pot bodies, and pole pieces, the ground is connected properly to all of these points. As the ground on the back of the pickups (and hence the one that you can see on the pole pieces) comes from the ground screen of the pickup wires, we can also assume that this is connected correctly. I think you have proved that, whatever you have, it is not a simple grounding problem.

My next suspicion is an odd one. A humbucker pickup works by having two coils that are in phase as far as the magnetic signal generated by the strings goes, but out-of-phase to an external hum. It is possible to make a humbucker that does not reject external hum by assembling it wrong, by accidently reversing one magnet and the phase of one coil. I know it's a long shot, but I wonder if one pickup is improperly manufactured? You probably need to have a pro look at this.

Sorry I couldn't help

That is some strange sounding feedback. Doesn't even sound like its from the guitar. Normally checking the sartre joints and setting pickups properly is what i would say, but I've never heard that bad of a noise problem before from a gibson… will be curious to see what it is

Hey,

398265057.jpg

The buzz you get sounds like a short to the "hot" positive. This is Position one on your picture. Put your Ohm meter leads at Position one and the other lead to the ground side as you have shown. Keep your volumes knob on 10 and flip the selector switch. You should get a reading on all three positions about 4,000 Ohm for both to maybe 7k or more for individual pickups. You should not get zero...indicating there's a short from the hot to ground.

Open up the covers and see if you can trace the hot wires and if there is any loose wire or solder grounding the hot section. If your Studio is new you can just pull the connectors to the pickup to test and isolate each pickup.

I read your original post again. If you turn the neck pickup volume down the buzz disappear (almost) indicating a short in the neck pickup circuit.

You might post some more close ups of the cavities.

Archived