Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird

Flight959

Guys,

I visited Guitar Village in Farnham UK with the intention of trying out a new electric and a new Amp. Whilst there despite a fantastic selection of both items I wanted to try I couldn't look past the room with the Gibson Acoustics. I've decided to save for a Gibson Hummingbird.. Hmmm

Just would like to hear from you Hummingbird owners on how you rate this guitar and your experiences..

Kind regards

Flight959

Simon

Guys,

I visited Guitar Village in Farnham UK with the intention of trying out a new electric and a new Amp. Whilst there despite a fantastic selection of both items I wanted to try I couldn't look past the room with the Gibson Acoustics. I've decided to save for a Gibson Hummingbird.. Hmmm

Just would like to hear from you Hummingbird owners on how you rate this guitar and your experiences..

Kind regards

Flight959

Simon

I waited over 40 years from the time I first played and lusted after a Hummingbird 'til when I finally got one.

In the meantime, I played a Dove for over 30 years, and I still prefer the Dove to the H'Bird, (but I LOVE the H-Bird!)

I own a 69's CW which is basically a natural finished Hummingbird.

My best strummer by far, has that lovelly woody, honey colour toned, quite dry, sounds best with a light pick. Not as good a finger picker than a J-45 in my opinion.

From the modern Hummingbirds I've personally found them to be more hit and miss than any other Gibson acoustic model. I found the HB TV to sound amazing, and if I was to buy a modern HB it would be without question a HB TV. Worth the extra money for the lighter bracing and that rich honey glazed tone.

Here's actually a good comparisement between the two and I find the HB TV to be miles ahead and consistent with the ones I played.

Last year I bought a new HB Standard. Lovely rich tone, beautiful top end, but a bit bass lacking in my opinion. After there was an unrepairable issue with the guitar, Gibson exchanged it with a new one. This one had a little less top end and sounded a bit less open (it has opened up a bit, but still not as open as the previous), but with a nice deep bass. They both sound like the H-bird sound I fell in love with (besides the stunning looks of course), but there was quite some difference between the two. Bottom line: try before you buy, each has its own character.

I own a 69's CW which is basically a natural finished Hummingbird.

My best strummer by far, has that lovelly woody, honey colour toned, quite dry, sounds best with a light pick. Not as good a finger picker than a J-45 in my opinion.

From the modern Hummingbirds I've personally found them to be more hit and miss than any other Gibson acoustic model. I found the HB TV to sound amazing, and if I was to buy a modern HB it would be without question a HB TV. Worth the extra money for the lighter bracing and that rich honey glazed tone.

Here's actually a good comparisement between the two and I find the HB TV to be miles ahead and consistent with the ones I played.

Those two guitars sound REALLY close. The MC seems to have slightly more mids and maybe a hair less projection/volume. Both sound great!

They both sound good, no doubt but if you listen closely there is a significant difference, which Im guessing is from the lighter bracing on the TV.

To my ears at least the TV has a richer, deeper and woodier tone than the MC, the trebles are more lush with that honey glaze. The MC is a bit brighter and somewhat harsher, not as honey glazed as the TV.

Both of course are great guitars and probably the prettiest guitars on the planet.

Those two guitars sound REALLY close. The MC seems to have slightly more mids and maybe a hair less projection/volume. Both sound great!

I'm not sure I'd prefer the TV above the Standard after a blind-test. In fact I went through one in the local shop circa 12 months ago and The Standard really spoke to me.

However I have a Hummingbird TV, which came to me out of some magic sky (means I got a real good deal) and I'll state the following :

The tulip tuners, semi matt finish and brown/red/orangish burst suits the Bird like a dream. (it changes hue 2 or 3 times every 24 hours)

Not a loud instrument – try new strings for more volume.

A sweet mellow, yet dry snappy sounding instrument - but not with the same depths to it as f.x. a contemporary J-45.

For the same reason a brilliant strummer/flatpicker. A gas to get up'n'goin' with a o'60 or o'73 pick*.

A downright sexy deer – talking sound feel and looks. Delicious, simply seducing to have between your hands.

A guitar that grabs you like a fewer – if you are caught, there's no way around it. You gotta have one, , , at least for a period.

A classic with a huge trail behind it – lots of history, roots and myth-factor. With one in your room you become a part of it all.

I'd say being close to a Bird for a longer time is more than just owning a high-end guitar. It's a possibility to explore some unexplainable deeper existential longing. . .

Think mine is breaking in, still I'd like to feel/hear the top more relaxed. It continues to appear somewhat stiff (as if the p-guard holds something back, which I don't believe is the case), but I'd gladly give it a full year to see what happens. Absolutely worth it.. .

*Among others I play Jethro Tulls Reasons For Waiting on it daily, which make me go from gentle flat-picking to expressive bashing – totally satisfying.

Very nicely put Em7. Thats exactly how I felt after playing a HB TV last month. It was just a knockout in every respect, even with pretty worn strings on that particular specimen. If I didnt have my CW it would be going home with me 100%, even despite the painful price tag.

Regarding the top - do you use 13's or 12's on your HB TV ? Coz I found 13's make a really significant difference for the better in terms of getting the tone richness and top shaking.

I'm not sure I'd prefer the TV above the Standard after a blind-test. In fact I went through one in the local shop circa 12 months ago and The Standard really spoke to me.

However I have a Hummingbird TV, which came to me out of some magic sky (means I got a real good deal) and I'll state the following :

The tulip tuners, semi matt finish and brown/red/orangish burst suits the Bird like a dream. (it changes hue 2 or 3 times every 24 hours)

A sweet mellow, yet dry snappy sounding instrument - but not with the same depths to it as f.x. a contemporary J-45.

For the same reason a brilliant strummer/flatpicker. A gas to get up'n'goin' with a o'60 or o'73 pick*.

A downright sexy deer – talking sound feel and looks. Delicious, simply seducing to have between your hands.

A guitar that grabs you like a fewer – if you are caught, there's no way around it. You gotta have one, , , at least for a period.

A classic with a huge trail behind it – lots of history, roots and myth-factor. With one in your room you become a part of it all.

I'd say being close to a Bird for a longer time is more than just owning a high-end guitar. It's a possibility to explore some unexplainable deeper existential longing. . .

Think mine is breaking in, still I'd like to feel/hear the top more relaxed. It continues to appear somewhat stiff (as if the p-guard holds something back, which I don't believe is the case), but I'd gladly give it a full year to see what happens. Absolutely worth it.. .

*Among others I play Jethro Tulls Reasons For Waiting on it daily, which make me go from gentle flat-picking to expressive bashing – totally satisfying.

Flight, I assume given your having been on this forum awhile that you're familiar with the caveats - 'try it before buying it - they can be inconsistant' and 'strings make a difference' and 'it depends on what you are looking for'. Probably you realize that if someone has one (I have an 11 month old H-TV) they will most likely post a positive response. People tend to do that whether it's for a guitar or a car they bought - unless they got a lemon.

So - I will echo all these comments (I think I just did!) and add one other point - Justin Bieber plays one.

Regarding the top - do you use 13's or 12's on your HB TV ? Coz I found 13's make a really significant difference for the better in terms of getting the tone richness and top shaking.

Noticed you are a warm talker for '13's and I have considered trying some. However the not so loud voice is no problem as I speak. I'm not particularly after loudness with this guitar and would either put on a fresh set or change guitar if more volume was needed.

But I'd like the TV to loosen its tie -

Not about loudness, but all about tone :-)

I really find 13's deliver a richer, fuller tone and that Gibson low end thump just shines !

Try out Sunbeam 13's, will give you a big smile Em7 (yes, i know i sound like a broken record with the Sunbeam 13's but they just really deliver so well)

Noticed you are a warm talker for '13's and I have considered trying some. However the not so loud voice is no problem as I speak. I'm not particularly after loudness with this guitar and would either put on a fresh set or change guitar if more volume was needed.

But I'd like the TV to loosen its tie -

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

That is a sweet and most poetic description I've ever read about a guitar, and as a H-Bird owner, I could not agree more.

[biggrin]

I only have a crappy laptop to listen to that demo on. I am sure I would be able to hear the difference through some decent speakers. There is such a big price difference between the standard and the TV I couldn't justify buying the TV.. I currently have a 1962 Epiphone Texan which sounds amazing except for the lack of volume... I like lighter a gauge of strings (Even on an acoustic)and only have 10's on at the moment... I have a set of 11's here which I might try...

Kind Regards [thumbup]

10's won't really drive the top of your guitar, so you may not be squeezing the best from it..... 11's are the absolute minimum I would use to be honest, but 12's would probably offer you a much bigger sound from your guitar.

While it's easy to say that, it is your guitar, so if you are happy with the sound from it with 10's, nobody can tell you that you're wrong.

I run an Apogee DUET audio interface from my iMac to a pair of Yamaha MSP7 studio monitors, this is a top of the line audio set-up. To my ear, it sounds like the TV is warmer, more open, has better projection, and has more 'wood' in the tone than the MC. Based on that video alone, I would go with the TV, no question.

Guys,

Kind regards

Flight959

Simon

Good Choice! [thumbup]

I don't own one, but some day. [-o<

For me, this all comes down to what one's personal preferences are. I've played guitars I consider duds while someone else likes the gentle tone. Both of the "birds" sound pretty nice. All very subjective. I don't believe there is any one constant rule or standard that indicates "this" guitar sounds better than "that" guitar. Depends on what we like. Regarding these two guitars, I could live with either.

Archived