Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage J45

Flight959

Nothing strange about it. Slope shoulder J-45s cover alot of ground - from the 1940s up to the end of the 1960s. They were replaced by the square shoulder version in 1969.

When did round shoulder back into business again? I'm curious to know more about J45 history.

To my knowledge it happened when Gibson turned the ship in the late 80's/first 90's. New consciousness – new old models.

When did round shoulder back into business again? I'm curious to know more about J45 history.

Understandable – prepare to cut least 1 year out for the trip. . .

1984. You really need to get a copy of "Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars", by Whitford, Vinopal, & Dan Erlewine. You can't be interested in these guitars without having this book.

1984. You really need to get a copy of "Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars", by Whitford, Vinopal, & Dan Erlewine. You can't be interested in these guitars without having this book.

Right – you are a fumbling illiterate without it. Just ordered a copy -

Right – you are a fumbling illiterate without it. Just ordered a copy -

And I don't get a cut of the profits. [smile] Seriously, if you don't know the history, you don't understand what you hold in your hands. It's 200+ pages of (mostly) solid gold.

+1 on the book Nick, just wished it covered the Kalamazoo Epiphone acoustics as well!

Steve.

The book is a must have for any Gibson Flat-top owner (although I didn't think the update added much). Anyway I have both the guitars you mentioned. The square shouldered models were made 69-84 during the dreaded Norlin period and are generally overbuilt and pretty grappy. They were called J45 Deluxe but were not deluxe at all! I do love the neck shape but that's pretty subjective. Nice to own just 'cause it was my first Gibson (bought it new in '77) but really has very little value. On the other hand my other J45 is a beauty to play and to behold. Anyone else own a "Deluxe" (or both)?

Archived