Gibson Brands Forums

Goodnite Irene!

retrorod

With the impending arrival to the North Carolina coast of our first huuricane of the season. I have been doing prep-work around the farm.

Funny, I have been thru several hurrricanes and each one brings its own uncertainty about the severity and outcome. Edged on by relentless forecast by the 'media'.

One never knows, till the final hours what the outcome will be. SO...I prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

It takes me 2 or 3 days to do my preparations. Figuring out what light moving projectiles need to be secured,srored, etc.

Like I say, I have been thru a few....and rain flooding,wind,downed trees, loss of electricity all... play a role in the severity.

Not to mention the time preparing and the time of duration and the time of 'clean-up'.

I guess Floyd and Isabelle were the worst to hit my area in recent years. Floyd was much like Katrina to a lot of inland N.C. areas. I cannot imagine Katrina..!

There hs been very FEW summer seasons that a hurricane has not effected our area before Labor Day. This one is no exception.....Got extra propane, batteries, water, food, ice, beer,cigarettes,cash, etc. Sold the boat...least I don,t have too worry about that!!! [wink]

Rod....(Just a glimpse into my reality)

With the impending arrival to the North Carolina coast of our first huuricane of the season. I have been doing prep-work around the farm.

Funny, I have been thru several hurrricanes and each one brings its own uncertainty about the severity and outcome. Edged on by relentless forecast by the 'media'.

One never knows, till the final hours what the outcome will be. SO...I prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

It takes me 2 or 3 days to do my preparations. Figuring out what light moving projectiles need to be secured,stored, etc.

Like I say, I have been thru a few....and rain flooding,wind,downed trees, loss of electricity all... play a role in the severity.

Not to mention the time preparing and the time of duration and the time of 'clean-up'.

I guess Floyd and Isabelle were the worst to hit my area in recent years. Floyd was much like Katrina to a lot of inland N.C. areas. I cannot imagine Katrina..!

There hs been very FEW summer seasons that a hurricane has not effected our area before Labor Day. This one is no exception.....Got extra propane, batteries, water, food, ice, beer,cigarettes,cash, etc. Sold the boat...least I don,t have too worry about that!!! [wink]

Thanks BK..! :)

We dodged this particular bullet on the east coast of Florida, but there's plenty more where that one came from. My guitars go into the safe room with me. If I have to make a choice, my old J-45 is the one that comes first. Then, my wife. Maybe......

I hear ya, rod. Looks like she's taking a more northerly track......good for the east coast. The outcome is absolutely uncertain...until it's pretty much too late to react, so it's best to act before things become certain one way or the other.....you are very right to be prepared for the worse as best you can. Living on the gulf coast, I have sat out a couple of lulus over the last 36 years myself - it ain't pretty. Hunker down and be safe over there!

It takes me 2 or 3 days to do my preparations. Figuring out what light moving projectiles need to be secured,srored, etc.

Batten down the hatches, Rod! I'm about mid-way of NC. (Rockingham) I've been tracking that storm also. I think we're in the clear here. Hope the storm passes by you. I think I remember you living around the Nags Head area, so it looks like you're in for a helluva weekend. Take care, my friend.

So, once you've battened down, will you bug out? If you 'ride it out', where do you stay?

The one advantage of Hurricanes over Tornadoes (My biggest weather concern) is you get plenty of warning. But that don't mean much when you are digging out.

Best of luck Rod. I'll be praying for you guys.

NOAA shows it tracking right up the Hudson River. Look out NYC!

Looks like D.C. is in for it about Sunday. First an earthquake, now a hurricane? Maybe He's trying to tell us something. :unsure:

The one advantage of Hurricanes over Tornadoes (My biggest weather concern) is you get plenty of warning. But that don't mean much when you are digging out.

I was thinking the same thing - especially after last spring.

I was in living down in Mississippi when Katrina hit and hoping all of you in that nasty storm's path stay high and dry and safe.

I'm riding out Irene now. We're just about in the eye. Man, my 20 year old sump pump is working overtime in the basement. I hope she and the power keep going. My 100 year old pine tree is swaying like an SOB. Good news is: the rain is letting up. Bad news is: it's getting windier. 20 years ago, I would have called this an adventure and enjoyed it. Now, I worried and nervous. When did I get old?

Edit: To keep this on topic: The guitars are still dry. I have them on the top floor. Unless my tree comes through the roof, they'll be O.K.

I followed you anxiously on the telly, but understand it could have been much worse, , , phew !

Then during Friday/Saturday a larger than life thunder storm here cannoned some devise off the roof and blew my internet connection to smithereens. It happened early in the morning and sent me out of bed in a whirl. Through the window the sky stayed yellow - which turned out to be the rising sun in the thin carpet of rainclouds - but just after the striking lightning above my head, it just looked alarming. . .

No web -

No Gibson Board -

and I was out of the camp anyway in the middle of long distance buying a Martin HD-28V.

My drama this weekend – what a mess/success.

Hey gearbasher, hope you rode it out okay. It sure caused alot of damage and far-too-great a loss of life. One victim would have been way-too-many. Sure hope all those who lost so much can bounce back from this.

Hey, thanks. Yeah, the tail end of the storm wasn't as bad as they were "hyping" it. Some water in the basement. Lost a few things I haven't used in 10 years...so, no loss. The ironic things are: I spent big bucks for a new roof and the wind blew water in through my attic fan. No much, but enough to piss me off. And I packed my garage so tight with outside junk, I scratched my car backing it in. Could've been worse.

As far as getting old, in '85 when Gloria was nearing, I got on my bike and rode down to the shore to watch the waves crash in. With Irene, I was up and down my basement all day and night, checking on the sump pump. What a difference.

I don't think it's age. I think it's the more stuff you have, the more you worry. When I had one guitar, I'd leave it out all the time. Ding it up and not care. Now, I have a few and I treat them like babies. I think the less you have the happier you are.

Hey all, The property made it thru with goodness!

The strange thing is, we were GONE.

Got the sad news on Thursday that my Brother-in-law in North FLA. had passed after a years' battle with cancer. My wife had gone to see him and family, a month before the inevitable...Thank God!

He was a great man! My age, but definitely a better person than me. A simple man, was he. A southern country man, that had great family values. A at home riding motorcycles as well as golf carts! He absolutely loved his wife, who was his caregiver till the end, He loved his two boys and his grandkids, and was an inspiration and source of 'goodness' to them all. A simple man....a good ol' Southern Boy who found joy in Family and "simple Things" that comprise living in the earthly world.

Rest in Peace My brother-in-law 'RICKY'...I love you!

Hey, thanks. Yeah, the tail end of the storm wasn't as bad as they were "hyping" it. Some water in the basement. Lost a few things I haven't used in 10 years...so, no loss. The ironic things are: I spent big bucks for a new roof and the wind blew water in through my attic fan. No much, but enough to piss me off. And I packed my garage so tight with outside junk, I scratched my car backing it in. Could've been worse.

As far as getting old, in '85 when Gloria was nearing, I got on my bike and rode down to the shore to watch the waves crash in. With Irene, I was up and down my basement all day and night, checking on the sump pump. What a difference.

I don't think it's age. I think it's the more stuff you have, the more you worry. When I had one guitar, I'd leave it out all the time. Ding it up and not care. Now, I have a few and I treat them like babies. I think the less you have the happier you are.

Might be something to that....??

Archived