Gibson Brands Forums

87 SG Purchase w/ neck brea repair

huurrr

Greetings friends,

This is my first post over here at the gibsons forums!

What brings me here today, is that I am looking at purchseing an 87 Gibson Sg standard. This particular guitar has had a neck break repair. I was wondering if there is anything I can look for to determine how good (or bad) the repair was as I have no experience with Gibson breaks. This will also be my first gibson if all goes well!

There owner has no info on who did the repair and with what materials, since the guitar has crossed a few paths. I will post pictures as soon as possible.

I was also wondering if (when pictures are posted) you could maybe give me a general idea of how much you guys think it may be worth, the deal does not include a case. Of course im going to play before a pay.

I am extremely thankfull for any and all help I can get from you guys over here at the gibson board. Hopefully I'll become a regular!

Greetings friends,

This is my first post over here at the gibsons forums!

What brings me here today, is that I am looking at purchseing an 87 Gibson Sg standard. This particular guitar has had a neck break repair. I was wondering if there is anything I can look for to determine how good (or bad) the repair was as I have no experience with Gibson breaks. This will also be my first gibson if all goes well!

There owner has no info on who did the repair and with what materials, since the guitar has crossed a few paths. I will post pictures as soon as possible.

I was also wondering if (when pictures are posted) you could maybe give me a general idea of how much you guys think it may be worth, the deal does not include a case. Of course im going to play before a pay.

I am extremely thankfull for any and all help I can get from you guys over here at the gibson board. Hopefully I'll become a regular!

More detailed pictures to come.

EDIT: sorry about the title mistake

post-35405-055562300 1314371977_thumb.jpg

More detailed pictures to come.

EDIT: sorry about the title mistake

It is not possible to give a value without knowing what guitar it actually is (87 SG could be any number of different SG's, expensive and affordable). And, condition matters as well.

For a value, I might suggest that there is a "blue book" that states general values for a lot of guitars. It is based on real sales, but still is only a guide.

If you want an opinion from this site, you would have to post photos so we could all see it and know exactly what it is and the condition.

As far as repaired headstocks, you are on the right track. It is possible that a repair could leave the guitar better and stronger than it was, but it depends on the skill and quality of the repair.

A repaired headstock ALWAYS will subtract from the dollar value of the guitar. It can always be fixed to be as strong as new, but the issue is how much will it cost. A bad job repairing could have it be worse and more work to fix it properly should the repair fail again.

I think Gibsons with repaired headstocks can be a good value, so long as you know the risk and the cost involved.

I realize you haven't gotten much help or real info from the last 2 posts. I can offer this: the repair here lacks repair to the finish, so at the very least was not done by a professional. If you are not getting this guitar at a substantial discount the seller is dreaming.

As far as repaired headstocks, you are on the right track. It is possible that a repair could leave the guitar better and stronger than it was, but it depends on the skill and quality of the repair.

A repaired headstock ALWAYS will subtract from the dollar value of the guitar. It can always be fixed to be as strong as new, but the issue is how much will it cost. A bad job repairing could have it be worse and more work to fix it properly should the repair fail again.

I think Gibsons with repaired headstocks can be a good value, so long as you know the risk and the cost involved.

I realize you haven't gotten much help or real info from the last 2 posts. I can offer this: the repair here lacks repair to the finish, so at the very least was not done by a professional. If you are not getting this guitar at a substantial discount the seller is dreaming.

Sorry guys, I thought I mentioned. The guitar is a standard.

Right now it is priced at 850 and he thinks he is giving me a deal. Are you sure the finnish isnt repaired and this is just not the look after the break? If the finnish is not repaired, does that drastically increase the chance of it breaking again? Expensive to have the repair done the the finnish?

I am just weary because I do not want a guitar that is just going to go kaput.

Thanks for the help guys!

Have read that Gibson made some great guitars in the late 80th. For the neck repair i ain't qualified really to have a opinion. I would say, when you try her check intonation and neck relief. If it's good and she sings out chords nice and even, and have a look you like maybe 400-500$. I think 850$ sounds way to much, you can get a new one for around 1000$. But there might be something special about it , post pick if you can. Good Luck

$850? Is that US dollars?

I see 90's and 2000's SG standards in good to very good shape selling for 900 bucks all the time. From dealers.

RE the break: No, I am not sure of what I am saying because I can't see that much from the pic. It APPEARS the break was repaired without the finish also being touched up. If that is the case, the only thing that would suggest is that the person who repaired it did not have access to finishing equipment.

I might suggest for you a browse on GBASE to see what is available from dealers for your money.

Keep in mind I have NO idea what that guitar looks like as I can only see the back of the headstock, but the headstock looks to be kinda beat up. I am not aware of anything about an '87 SG standard to make it more valuable than a later one or a almost new one. And, even if the headstock repair is 100% professionally done and barely perceptable, I would expect it to be a LEAST 100 bucks less for an SG that was worth 900 bucks.

Like stein said, you can find a lot of nice condition SG Standards made in the 1990's and 2000's (with original case) for between $800.00 and $900.00. Considering there is nothing that I'm aware of that makes an '87 SG Standard special as a collector's piece, $850.00 is just too high.

If it sounds and plays really great, I would offer $500.00 but that's as high as I would go.

Space Pup is in the ballpark on the value. IMO a repair neck/headstock break would reduce the value of the guitar by 50% or more depending on how good the repair is. Looking at your pic, I agree with Stein - it doesn't look like a pro did the repair. It looks pretty raw. I have a guitar with a pro repair in this area and you can barely see the repaired crack - the clear finish was repaired and buffed. As for the value as is, I'd say $350 to $400 - if it can stay in tune while being played. If it can't stay in tune, $150 -$200 (parts).

The pic is a little blurry but it looks like a haphazard repair. I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred in the event you have to take it to a quality luthier in order to re-break it and set it correctly with a decent blend of the finish. I wouldn't be surprised if it needed a neck reset as well, and that gets costly quickly. If you're looking to spend 8-900 just get a used one without a break.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate the help. I amn definatly weary about the guitar.

What do you guys think about firebrand sg's? Are only the deluxes mahogany? A guy claims to have a firebrand in mahogany thats not a deluxe, although he doesnt seem to sure of himself.

How do they compare to modern sg standards etc.

The specifics on body composition are a little out of my league, but according to internet resources at least post 1980 only deluxe models were mahogany instead of walnut. As for differences between them and current SG Standards, different pickups (as well as being open coil instead of covered) dot inlays instead of trapezoids and I don't think Firebrands had bound necks but someone could come prove me wrong on that. It looks like at least some had input jacks on the side as opposed to front mounted jacks like current production models.

http://www.everythingsg.com/index.php/firebrand.html

I would be very weary of paying much at all for the broken neck SG, if you check on eBay you can see how much a neck break (even professionally repaired) kills the resale value.

Firebrands are (were rather) much less costly versions, so you should expect them to cost a lot less than a Standard.

I am not knowledgeable on what all the different Firebrand models are, but the ones I have experienced are cool in some ways but very different than the typical models, like the Standard, Studio, etc. As in the Melody Maker models, sometimes you can find one that is the way you want and some of the same features as the other models, but there will still be some things different.

If you are looking for a Standard though, you aren't looking for a Firebrand.

Thanks for the replies guys.

What I originally wanted was a 61 reissue, so I think I may try to find a good deal on a used one.

Although vintage sg's with a good neck repair or good refin would be top notch for me, as I am a player and love older gibsons.

The guy with the white standard 87 sg seemed to know to little about the guitar. He also refused to send me pictures which focused more on the break (and clearer pictures for that matter). So I think it is definatly a no for that guitar.

Thanks for the replies guys.

What I originally wanted was a 61 reissue, so I think I may try to find a good deal on a used one.

Although vintage sg's with a good neck repair or good refin would be top notch for me, as I am a player and love older gibsons.

The guy with the white standard 87 sg seemed to know to little about the guitar. He also refused to send me pictures which focused more on the break (and clearer pictures for that matter). So I think it is definatly a no for that guitar.

I own both a 50th anniversary standard 24 and a 1980 walnut firebrand. The necks on them are completely different. If you prefer a "cluby" type of "C" shaped neck, then go the standard....a slim tapered "60's" style of neck, go the firebrand. I found my firebrand locally on kijiji for $300 bucks, dropped a 57classic plus in the bridge, 57 classic in the neck, and went with gibson stop bar tailpiece and the old style ABR bridge. I can say that the firebrand plays and sounds every bit as good as the standard, maybe a bit more "chunk" due to the walnut(and the classic plus)....and it is slightly heavier than my standard. I'd highly recommend either one....Oh yeah, if it's not the "delux" firebrand, then it is walnut....

Thanks alot for the info Jay, that was really infromative!

I have just been offered a very nice 73 SG for a reasonable price. BUT heres the scoop.

"The neck on the Gibson was cracked as opposed to cleanly broken. It was re-glued (probably with wood glue). Aside from the repair the neck has been left in original condition. You can see and feel the crack which runs down to about the 4th fret but the neck is straight and the guitar plays very well.

If you were inclined the neck could be sanded and re-finished so you would not see or feel the repair."

The guitar is at a local establishment that is very well known and has a great reputation. What do you guys think?

Thank you for the replies guys!

I would run, not walk away from ANY used guitar with a headstock or neck crack/break repair. The used market is so glutted with great SG options, why shackle yourself to a dog with any issues let alone ones that render the instrument virtually unsellable?

My most treasured instrument is a '65 SG special with a neck joint repair. I probably paid too much for it, but the repair was really well done to the point that I forget it's even there. It's a wonderful playing, beautiful sounding guitar and it would take a hell of a lot more than it's market worth to get me to part with it.

So the point is that a guitar can still be a great instrument even if it has had a major repair. Don't pay too much for it, but don't turn your nose up at a damaged & repaired instrument for that reason alone. If the repair has been done properly by an expert, you might be getting a great instrument at a great price.

Here's a video (that was already linked to elsewhere on these forums but I can't remember where) in which Edge from U2 talks about his explorer's broken headstock:

Archived