Gibson Brands Forums

Strange "Gibson" at Goodwill

zombywoof

Well, strange to me in the sense I am not all that up on my past Bozeman-made guitars.

One of the action sites I keep an eye on is Goodwill. Every so often they list a real gem - on at least two occasions in the past year it was the only place I have ever seen a particular instrument come up for sale.

I check the site out last night and they have what looks to be a J-30 with the banner. They do get Gibsons in - a few weeks back they had a really beat to heck 1950s J-45 up for grabs.

This one has no labels or anything else (at least according to the description). I ain't gonna bid on the thing - even if I was convinced it was the real deal I do not need another guitar and those guys over there bid it up to the point it makes eBay look like a fire sale - but am just curious. Check it out over at the Shopgoodwill.com.

I noticed that guitar last night and thought about taking a swing at it. I am having some issues identifying it by the pictures alone. The headstock and banner logo gives me a general idea, but I am still not 100%. Any thoughts on the model? If past bidding history on Goodwill is any indicator, this will most likely get stupid in a few days. The great finds from pawn shops are gone, and now even goodwill is getting crazy!!

It's a J-30 Montana from somewhere between 1994 and 1997. (The bridge orientation might date it more precisely.)

-- Bob R

Bob - I think you hit it. This auction is already hitting the $500 mark with several days left. It looks like it may be another Goodwill auction that is heading for stupid. I think these are only valued around $800 - $1000, thoughts?

I think these are only valued around $800 - $1000, thoughts?

You're right, but people who don't want the bling of a Hummingbird might actually prefer a J-30 and think they're generally undervalued.

-- Bob

Archived