Gibson Brands Forums

Turning my SG into a part-time metal machine

Rhettsauce

I recently acquired a Gibson Special Faded SG in worn cherry, which I absolutely love. Just so much bite when compared to my old Epi Les Paul.

The only things I'm really considering doing to her are adding some Grover tuners and replacing the bridge pickup (it's a 490T). I've found the 490T to be great for classic rock, but when I start really ramping up the gain it can sound a bit "boxy" and it lacks the "oomph" that I'm after when playing down-tuned modern metal.

I'm keen to replace the 490T with something by Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan (because I live in New Zealand it can be hard to source more boutique brands), but here's my conundrum: while I enjoy a bit of metal, I also need the SG to be able to handle pub band covers of everything from The Eagles to Bonnie Tyler (don't ask!). So I don't really want to chuck a Dimebucker in there, or anything which will mess with the versatility of the guitar. It needs to be able to do the business during the week and to let its hair down on weekends!

I'd really appreciate any recommendations.

I've had my eye on two Seymour's, the Sh-5 and the Sh-6, but I'm really a pickup amateur.

Thanks!

Don't know anything about Seymore sh 5-6 .From Gibson's lineup you got 498t that's give a little more"oomph" but some think it gets a bit muddy. The Angus young bucker has the same ca output as 498t but has a little bit more clear/detailed sound, might work in both world . But hey i don't play modern down tuned metal, so i guess im not the right guy to answer. Anyway good luck with your new sg

Put single coils on it and ill make it a metal guitar.

Single coils? I don't recommend it. Ive tried it, It doesn't sound full enough, plus you get squealing feedback constantly. Well, I have seen metal bands sound decent with teles, I would just be just leery of that.

Single coils? I don't recommend it. Ive tried it, It doesn't sound full enough, plus you get squealing feedback constantly. Well, I have seen metal bands sound decent with teles, I would just be just leery of that.

Depends on your set up.

Depends on your set up.

Yeah i guess it depends on the quality of the guitar as well. i just personally wouldnt reccomend it. If anything coil splitting is the way to go so you can choose. btw I appreciate that your "anti-emgs" wayyy overrated

Archived