Gibson Brands Forums

Question about my Les Paul Studio Silverburst

NightTimeConcealmentX91

Hey, I'm trying to sell my Gibson Les Paul Silverburst Studio and a guy asked me if the fretboard is ebony or rosewood. I honestly don't know what the difference is. I don't know if it is true, but he also said that Gibson only made a few studio silverbursts that have ebony fretboards. I know that the fretboards are now rosewood, but mine was made in 2009 and the serial number is 027590534. Can you please tell me if mine is Ebony or Rosewood and whats the difference between the two. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Rosewood has a mix of reddish brown and black grain lines - the overall look of a rosewood fretboard is more toward reddish brown, but some can be fairly dark.

Ebony is very dark, more closed grain than rosewood and harder than rosewood. The hardness is why it's the choice on most classical instruments. The overall look of an ebony fretboard is black.

The older models of the LP Studio Silverburst have an ebony fretboard, which I think looks great with the finish. The newer LP Studio Silverbursts have a rosewood fretboard which I don't care for on the Silverburst finish.

Your Silverburst looks like it's got an ebony fretboard - a premium feature you should make note to in your sales text. I noticed the spec change about a year ago, so your 2009 would fall into the period when the Studio Silverburst was spec'ed with an ebony fretboard. BTW, the Alpine White Studio still has an ebony fretboard.

To illustrate the difference - here's rosewood on a new Silverburst Studio . [thumbdn]. . . . . . . http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-studio-silverburst-electric-guitar

DV016_Jpg_Large_582657.648.375_silverburst.jpg

• Upvote 1

Personally I think it was a bad move on Gibsons aesthetic design with the studio when they decided to change the fretboard to Rosewood.

As one of the posters said....look at the silverburst with the Rosewood :(.

Personally Rosewood is for more detailed or guitars where the finish is stained wood or a Red, Tobacco sunburst etc.

Compared to yours OP, the Rosewood Silverburst looks pretty damn ugly but everyone to their one tastes.

Not sure when they stopped using Ebony on their studios.

Be glad you have one at a time where they were still using Ebony.

From what I gather Rosewood is cheaper than Ebony so it may have simply come down to cutting costs while retaining the sale price of Studios to make a higher profit margin.

So to make it clear what everyone said, MY Les Paul Does Have an Ebony Fretboard.... Correct?

Are the Gibson studio Les Paul silverbursts with ebony fretboard worth more since they don't put the ebony fretboard on them anymore?

I Spoke to Gibson on the phone and ran the serial number and they said it was one of the stores that sold the guitar's options and something about a special run or something of it. They told me to email pictures to them, but I now find that unnecessory due to the nice ppl of this forum helping me. =)

Based on the pics you posted, your LP has an ebony fretboard. The type of fretboard wood desired is a matter of personal preference. From a manufacturer's and retailer's viewpoint, ebony is premium feature and would jack up the price a bit. As far as selling used, whether you've got ebony or rosewood wouldn't have much of an impact on the price buyers are willing to pay - that would depend more on the overall condition of the guitar, the type of hardware and the electronics. Still, many buyers would consider an ebony fretboard a plus.

• Upvote 1

• 7 years later...

Sorry to reactivate an old thread, but I too am wondering about which materials are on my 2009 Les Paul Studio Silverburst which I think is from a similar production run as the original post.

I emailed customer service with pictures about 5 or 6 days ago but have yet to hear a response. I am unable to see the pictures from the original post, but have added mine here for consideration.

The serial number on the headstock is 028890633. Based on the dating serialization, I think my guitar was also from around October 2009 like the original post.

I have both ebony and rosewood fretboard guitars, and this Les Paul Studio seems to have some characteristics of both. It is super dark in color even when tilting the neck in the light looking for subtle red hues and it’s pretty snappy, but it also seems much more textured than my smoothest of ebony boards.

I wasn’t clear if that’s a sign it is really dyed rosewood or if perhaps it was more something more like B-stock ebony that just wasn’t as finely sanded.

I honestly don’t mind either, I just want to get a firm understanding what is on this guitar.

Any help is appreciated.

post-95706-095797900 1551033793_thumb.jpeg

post-95706-096230100 1551033817_thumb.jpeg

post-95706-004640800 1551033844_thumb.jpeg

post-95706-044254500 1551033876_thumb.jpeg

post-95706-010113800 1551033892_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2019 at 6:47 PM, SandorffFan said:

Sorry to reactivate an old thread, but I too am wondering about which materials are on my 2009 Les Paul Studio Silverburst which I think is from a similar production run as the original post.

I emailed customer service with pictures about 5 or 6 days ago but have yet to hear a response. I am unable to see the pictures from the original post, but have added mine here for consideration.

The serial number on the headstock is 028890633. Based on the dating serialization, I think my guitar was also from around October 2009 like the original post.

I have both ebony and rosewood fretboard guitars, and this Les Paul Studio seems to have some characteristics of both. It is super dark in color even when tilting the neck in the light looking for subtle red hues and it’s pretty snappy, but it also seems much more textured than my smoothest of ebony boards.

I wasn’t clear if that’s a sign it is really dyed rosewood or if perhaps it was more something more like B-stock ebony that just wasn’t as finely sanded.

I honestly don’t mind either, I just want to get a firm understanding what is on this guitar.

Any help is appreciated.

post-95706-095797900 1551033793_thumb.jpeg

post-95706-096230100 1551033817_thumb.jpeg

post-95706-004640800 1551033844_thumb.jpeg

post-95706-044254500 1551033876_thumb.jpeg

post-95706-010113800 1551033892_thumb.jpeg

It's certainly not ebony because its too coarse grained. 

95% sure its Rosewood.