Gibson Brands Forums

Help with neck set & saddle height

Jack Allen

Hi Everyone,

I got a new Dove in June this year and have some questions. I played it when it came in and had to leave town on a project the next day. Sounded very good, should get better with age, action seemed really high, neck w/ too much relief, and the nitro just about burned my eyebrows off it was so new. I put in a humidifier, closed the case after checking for any shipping damage, obvious flaws etc. and left. I got back to town this week and decided to get it back out. I thought I'd start slowing doing some setup on it. Checked the neck relief and got that set nice. Checked the string height (Gibson quality card says it was checked & set to 6/64" on low E) and checked it. I'm presuming, with the numbers on the factory care, that the 6 on the Low & 4 on the High means 64" not 32". It was more like 5/32 - 6/32" (10/64" - 12/64"). I checked the neck angle with a straight edge now that the truss rod was adj. properly. The top of the bridge is 2/32" above the the frets. I always thought, esp. on a new guitar, that the bridge was to be level with the frets. On my Epi Dove, Hummingbird, & EJ-300CE it is and they setup great & the fret are dead level with the bridge.

It looks like I can only take off about 3/32" maybe 4/32" from the saddle before I start to run out of saddle. That will drop my 12th fret height to 8/64". That's just way too high for me!!! My Epi setup to 4/64" really well & plays great. Don't sound nothing like the Gibson however!!! [biggrin]

Anyone with suggestions? I somehow don't think the neck is set correctly if I'm going to run out of saddle before I even get to the height it says it was set at. It looks & plays just like it did when I got it (and that was within about 1 month from date on the inspection card. Just couldn't have been setup to 6/64.

The bridge measures the same height on the Gibson and the Epiphone Doves. That is 12/32" from the soundboard to the top of the bridge.

Thanks in advance for the help. Do I need to get in touch w/ Gibson? [confused]

Also, had anyone found the pickup under the saddle to degrade the sound much from the Doves w/o the nano pickup? Looks kinda thick to me and like having a pretty big buffer from solid contact with bridge to saddle. Don't know, just wondering.

Jack Allen

Jack, there's no bigger fan of the Dove than me....but you post makes my head hurt.

I just bought a 2011 H'Bird, and will take it to my luthier in a few more months for a "set-up". 'Til then, no big deal.

I don't have electronics on any of my Doves or the new H'Bird, just not my thing. If I need to amplify, I can stick at pickup in my old Dove or the Jubilee, but never the new Dove or H'Bird.

Just enjoy your axe, and post some pics.

Bob

Archived