Gibson Brands Forums

ES 339 30/60 neck

imagemarine

I've got a 2010 ES-359 with a 30/60 and a 1965 Melody Maker with a 60s slim taper (60sST) - both are 1-11/16" at the nut. The 60sST is a smidge thinner than the 30/60, and the sides fall away from the fretboard edge at a slightly shallower angle making for a comparatively thin feeling neck. The 30/60 feels more substantial and meatier, but very comfortable. It's funny how a tiny bit of dimensional difference makes for such a difference in feel.

I have an ES-333 and for me, it has a great neck. Very thin (I have small hands). That said, my ES-339 with the 30/60 neck has some girth! After playing my ES-333 for a while, it takes a few minutes to get used to the extra girth of the 30/60 neck. I will tell you this, I keep thinking that I want to trade in my ES-339 and get a proper ES-335 but, each time I play it, especially plugged in to my amp, I say to myself that I will never sell this guitar. It is that comfortable and with the Classic 57 pups it sounds great.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that no matter how much I long for a proper ES-335, when I play my ES-339 for an hour I decide I don't want that ES-335. It is just a exceptionally versatile and comfortable guitar. When recording, I can get twang out of the bridge pickup. It doesn't sound like a Tele but it sounds great for any type of country music. It can have the balls of a great Les Paul (and I have been a 30 year Les Paul veteran). and it can achieve the subtleties of the entire ES line. In my opinion, Gibson hit a home Run with the ES-339. My longing for a proper ES-335 is pretty much "GAS" and intellectually, I really don't need any other guitar with my ES-339 as my go-to and my ES-333 as my back up. In reality, the ES-333 is an ES-335...Ricky

Archived