Gibson Brands Forums

my new Wildkat

rubyred

gday

i am a newbie here and have some dumb Qs about the bigsby on `Ruby` yeah I know - I just had to name her.

I just picked up this beautiful Wildkat yesterday and have no experience with the bigsby - one of the reasons I bought it and also i have wanted a semi-hollow for a long time, plus the price was very good ($480 Au), it is in excellent condition, not a mark on it, came with a case, upgraded p-ups, don`t know what they are as the guy selling it had his Guitar tech mate do it and all his other guitars are strats and teles. But it sounds a lot cleaner than my other 2 and has a great growl to it, and an awesome jazz sound when clean.

I had been looking at getting a Dot 335, then I started looking at the Gretsch 5120, then this fell in my lap and for less than half of what i was going to pay, I was pretty happy.

ruby.jpg

I have a `91 Les Paul Std, and a Wilshire - one of the special run ones done a couple of years ago 9this fell into my lap as a mate needed speakers so I swapped him a pair of B&W DM602 for it , I have just started to play again after about 10-12yrs break, and the music/sound of Rev. Horton heat was part of the motivation to look for a new guitar.

threeguitars.jpg

I have noticed that it has been re-strung incorrectly, the trem still works, I didn1t notice when i played it yesterday only on closer inspection this morning - can the bigsby be strung in different ways? sorry for the dumb question, but i have no idea.

ruby-trem.jpg

there is some buzz on the low E and A strings so I was planning to raise the bridge a bit and redo the intonation, as I have to do the other 2 because of sitting around.

thanks for your time - sorry about the dumb Qs and my raving .

The routing on the Kats Bigsby (B7 I do believe) should be under that bar to keep string tension on the saddles.

If you look into buying a Bigsby for other guitars you will see some without the bar (like a B3)

I'm not an expert on Bigsby's (or anything else) but I had a Kat for a while.

I believe if you go to their site and read some you'll find the the saddle height has importance to which Bigsby a guitar should have and the ones with the bar (B5, B7 etc) have it to route the strings under for tension on the saddles like I said.

Ruby, Baby!! Love the color of that guitar. Every time someone comes on the forum with a Kat, I get GAS real bad.

Amd welcome to the forum.

Yeah, Sledge is correct. The strings go under the bar closest to the bridge.

Never seen one of them in wine red... Its great! I've always thought of kats as missing something (visually) bu that one looks great, especially with the black pups, congrats on owning that beauty!

G'day rubyred,

I can't really help with your question re that sweeeet geet... but you are already in the excellent hands of four of our best above [thumbup] ...

Just sayin' 'Welcome to the Forums" to a Northern Bros... There are a few of 'us' that 'every once in a blue moon' have been known to be on-line here...

Word of caution though: Watch out for this member 'RaSTuS' to your North... That dude's as mad as a cut snake [scared]

Generally, great bunch of guys & gals here... loads of knowledge generously shared... &, on a good day, funny as all (you know) [biggrin] ...

Enjoy,

that one looks very familiar...lol im guessing its a metalic top as mine is. yeah the strings go under the roller bar to keep the string tension on the bridge. but. you can do it that way as well. in dan erlewines book he suggests you string the strings over the top of the stop bar of a gibson bridge setup so as not to put too much tension on the bridge itself. the point being that it will prevent bridge collapse.. i agree with this so ive restrung all my guitars with a stop bar in that way. essentially you have done the same thing. ...i dont see a problem. you may wwant to look into a roller bridge and roller nut. i have put them on my wildkat. and it stays in tune now.

Glad to hear you like the p-90 thing. They are very different than any other pup. And they make some great ones. I can't help but wonder which ones you have in yours.

Welcome here. Glad to see another addition to the night shift.

Nice guitar with a Gretsch feel, knob placement and Bigsby....

It looks like a couple of dog ear P90's have inveigled their way into position

All you need now is a Tele or Strat

And a Gretsch with Dynasonics, to complete the tonal palette.....

V

:-({|=

Thanks for the welcome & info - much appreciated.

My mrs thinks I am mad for naming a guitar - my 6yo daughter thinks its great and loves the colour - she calls it ruby #1.

I have looked into the string buzz and it seems some of the semi-hollows suffer from the same thing and it seems to be associated with the TOM bridge, I have read all sorts of fixes from claer nail polish on the little screws, removing some piece of wire that lives in it(no idea- nothing in my other 2) ??? to reversing the bridge all together - can anyone verify or dismiss these things for me please.

Have been thinking about a wilkinson roller bridge as well, as that has been suggested alot in the reading I have done.

A Q for amx05462 - so the way this is strung is suggested by others - I couldn`t find any info on it at all, if I have a roller bridge is it better to have it strung the normal way?

Glad to hear you like the p-90 thing. They are very different than any other pup. And they make some great ones. I can't help but wonder which ones you have in yours.

yeah I was thinking the same thing, but really was just a guess - but as to which ones I have no idea - the guy selling it couldn`t give me any info on it except they were replaced and he paid about $250 to do it. Was strange as he knew the the type of p-ups he had installed on his 3 strats.

thanks again and happy picking !

Thanks Rastus, it was your review I read earlier in the day that led to that conclusion - can you recommend an aussie retailer please - preferably in Brisbane, or a good national supplier - thanks.

Thanks Rastus, it was your review I read earlier in the day that led to that conclusion - can you recommend an aussie retailer please - preferably in Brisbane, or a good national supplier - thanks.

I just bought mine from an eBay seller in the US, it was gold and cost $29 with shipping, chrome would be cheaper, I buy nearly everything from overseas, just too dear in Oz.

well the proper way is under the roller bar. the guy i referenced is a expert luthier. there are videos on you tube of him if you look through them then most likely one will mention tom bridge collapse.

if you look at photos of early les pauls some are strung over the back of the stop tailpiece. . the wire you refer to is to hold in the saddles on the tom bridge and if yours has it it will be over the screws. some peole just tighten it up by putting a bend in the middle. again its only function is to keep the saddles in place when the strings are off.

i dont see a problem with the way you have it strung even with a roller bridge.

as to the roller nut if you decide to add one i used a mighty mite. it requires some wood removal so theres no going back. but on my dot studio which im making major alterations to . i added a fender roller nut much easier instalation

Try 'Tym Guitars' in the Valley [thumbup] ... but RaSTuS is right about local pricing [thumbdn]

Congrats, and welcome to the 'Klub~ Enjoy your Kat, they're fun guitars.

I thought that all WildKats came with chrome pickups, though. I wonder if yours have been previously swapped out? Was yours pre-owned?

Next time you change your strings, pop out one of the pups and look at the backside of it, check for the manufacturer & model # if any.

I thought that all WildKats came with chrome pickups, though. I wonder if yours have been previously swapped out? Was yours pre-owned?

This was 2nd hand but in like new condition - not a mark on it, the previous owner had the p-ups changed by his friend, but couldn`t tell me what they were in terms of brand or model.

I am very curious to find out myself.

cheers

music-smiley-008.gif

well just pop the screws and turn one over should say something on the back of the pickup.

mine was a return. originally i bought a trans black one . took it home and one pickup was dead. i could have fixed it but hey i just bought it so back i went. he had my red one hanging up it had just been returned. i tryed it and everything worked so i took it home plus a hundred off the price of the original one i bought so home i went with a red wildkat and a hundred bucks in my pocket. good deal and i never regretted it.

yours is the only other red one ive ever seen.

Archived