Gibson Brands Forums

Help ID My SG!!

Cornhole

Hey all

I have an early 70s SG, that I can only find limited information on.

- The serial number 613473. The serial number is ink stamped on the back of the headstock, as is MADE IN USA.

- It has a Bigsby style tremolo arm with Gibson stamped on it.

- GIBSON logo is stamped on the pickup covers.

The information I found dates it between '70 and '72.

If at all possible, could you tell me the specific year it was made, how many were made in that run, and potentially what it might be worth on today's market? It is in excellent, all original condition, with a single refinish on the clear coat.

Thanks!

The information I found dates it between '70 and '72.

You've done good research and come to the right conclusion. The only other information from your guitar that can tell you anything else are the potentiometer codes. The "pot codes" will tell you the week and year the potentiometers were manufactured, and you can surmise additional info from that.

Obviously the guitar could not have been made before the pot code date, so this may serve to eliminate one or more of the possible years. Since Gibson buys parts in bulk, even the pot code can only approximate the date the guitar was made, but is an accepted method. I like to think that to think that within six months from the date code on the pots is an acceptable time frame.

To find your pot codes, remove the control cavity cover plate and hope the back of the pots are not all covered in ground wire solder. Your looking for a seven-digit number most likely starting with "137". The number format is MMMYYWW. M = manufacturer, Y = year, W = week.

Let us know what you find.

• 4 weeks later...

Right, so here's an update.

After sending in the information I had and collected based on your suggestions, the fine folks at Gibson have identified this SG as a 1971 Deluxe. Now I can't seem to get pictures to post online, that's not exactly my speed, so I don't know how to share, but this is great news.

Thanks for the help all.

Archived