Gibson Brands Forums

Example of 60's J 45?

telstarstuff

Can someone please give me an example of a recording of a 60's round shoulder vs. square shoulder Gibson? Beatles? Stones? Something contemporary recorded? I currently own a late 60's square shoulder J 45 that sounds excellent. I've tried many round shoulder 60's that sound dull and thuddy. Is that true to the sound? It almost compares to the intro on "I'm looking through you". Not sure if that's accurate, just curious. I'd like to pick one up, but not if that's how they all sound. Thanks

Can someone please give me an example of a recording of a 60's round shoulder vs. square shoulder Gibson? Beatles? Stones? Something contemporary recorded? I currently own a late 60's square shoulder J 45 that sounds excellent. I've tried many round shoulder 60's that sound dull and thuddy. Is that true to the sound? It almost compares to the intro on "I'm looking through you". Not sure if that's accurate, just curious. I'd like to pick one up, but not if that's how they all sound. Thanks

It's fair to say that you're going to need to judge these on a case-by-case basis. The evolution of Gibsons in this period was not necessarily for the better. I agree that a lot of slopes from the late 60's leave a lot to be desired in the tone department, particularly from about 1964 on. The combination of thick tops, over-bracing, and adjustable saddles made a lot of them sound not much better than the average J-160E played acoustically.

Having said that, there are gems out there from this period as well. I suspect that a '60 or '61 on average could be pretty similar construction-wise and tone-wise to a late '50s model, and some of those are great.

Sorry telstar but the convential wisdom is that late 60s square shouldered J45 (generally known as a J45 Deluxe) is a dud .... overbuilt during the dreaded Norlin period. Most round shouldered J45s are described as having a "warm" tone with good lowes. I own one of each and I agree with the convential wisdom and, at the same time, understand that each guitar is individual and has an individual sound. My square shouldered actually was my only guitar for years and still sounds right to me for those songs that I played then.

JD

Hi

I actually had the chance to play a 1964 Gibson J45 in the cherry sunburst finish. It was unbelieveably loud and punchy. I agree that all guitars sound different, but this one was incredible. Id give them a shot, or a late 50's-early 60's LG2. Those little LG2's can be had for pretty cheap and they sound incredible. They Are short scale, but I'm hoping to get one soon :) just my 2 cents

One of my friends have a mid-60's 45. Narrow width and traces of the white Gibson logo on the guard. It's nothing like the square sh. from '68/'69. I try it once in a while in the studio, but I never play it. It sounds nice – seldom has new strings, still sounds nice, , , and nothing more really. I wouldn't knock it, neither would I buy it or switch, , , f.x. with my '66 C&W which he fell in love with recently.

Btw. I'm selling my 1959 45. Found another older (precise age unknown) which sounds truly amazing, , , might be '53. I will return to this mystery when I have the strength.

Remember the double X-braced Norlins began a few years after they (the 45's) went square. That would mean 1970.

Thanks for the thoughts on this topic. I'm new to the world of old acoustics. I always wanted one and tripped over this one for a reasonable price. I had new frets and a bone nut installed as well as pulled the rosewood saddle and replaced it with a tusq saddle. It sits right on the top with screws in place, but not raised. I was able to take the nuts out from under the top. Plays beautifully. It sounds more like a Martin than the older slope shoulder J 45's I played. Well balanced with bite. It doesn't have a double X brace. Just dried out and weather checked like a road map of New Jersey.

Does anyone know how to post sound clips on the forum? I'll try to give an example.

Archived