Gibson Brands Forums

How To Care For A Nitro Finish

jetpilot

I just bought a guitar with a nitro laquer finish. I have only owned guitars with a poly finish in the past. I understand that nitro is more fragile than poly. What should I do to keep the guitar looking good. I usually hang my guitars on my wall out of direct sunlight. Will this accelerate aging of the finish? Should I keep it in the case all the time? Is Dunlop 65 cleaner/polish good for cleaning it? The hosue is keopt at 72 degrees all year round with 50% humidity. Thanks!

Here's a good read - http://www.mcknightguitars.com/maint.html

Virtuoso polish and cleaner.

Nitro is reactive - avoid dyed fabric, alcohol base cleaners, solvents, rubber, foam, soft plastics - and always check to make sure any guitar stands or hangers you purchase are nitro safe (and even if they are I still use a white cotton cloth on the foam to protect the nitro).

The best advice to you is to keep your guitar in it's case. Nitro in direct light will fade and fade quickly. Red nitro finished guitars fade quicker than most other colors. I never had an issue with stands because when I'm not using the guitar, it's tucked away in it's case.

Only wear cloths that are cotton and well aged. I had a shirt that had blue dye, big mistake. The sweat had loosened the dye and stained my guitar's bindings. Nitro is porous, so the dye is underneath it for life. All my shirts have been through the wash a few times to ensure any excessive dye has been washed out.

I also suggest giving your instrument a quick little rubdown with a shammy to remove oils from the finish. The grease from your skin will also soften and eat away at lacquer. As far as cleaners go I only use either Gibson or Martin guitar spray. I've used them for years and they are specially formulated to deal with nitro. I don't know how many people use alcohol to clean an instrument. Alcohol based cleaners eat nitro like popcorn.

Hello guys! Hello Malchik! (It means "young boy" in russian, isn't it?). Great wisdom from a "young boy"! :) To be serious: many people mentioned dyed fabrics' and rubbers' effects on nitro-finished instrument before, but it is very important to note, that clothes and Your skin is what Your guitar encounters most often! Jeans, new - especially non-cotton clothes - can discolour Your instrument too. Keep it in case and wipe off the sweat after use. Once in a while use the Virtuoso cleaner - it is the cleaner that most people recommended for such instruments. As far as I can remember even someone on behalf of Gibson here agreed about it's being the best guitar care compound. One more thing - and this is something I learned at my own expense - if You lay Your instrument down on a textile or leather covered sofa for minutes, for having a break: when You pick it up, do not drag it over the surface of the furniture. It will rub and polish the finish at corners, leaving a dark discolouration mark there!

Good advice on this popular topic

On the other side of the coin...

Nitro as it ages imparts the most beautiful darkening to any sunburst, colour or natural finish

So a well played instrument will have, like an old violin, a mature character to cherish....

V

:-({|=

I appreciate the responses! I guess posting pics of a non Gibson Les Paul is frowned upon?!?

Nah it wont kill ya, just show her. I recently bought Dunlop system 65 guitar tech kit, seems to be good. Anyone with a opinion on that guitar care set?

OK.... here it goes.

It's a Japanese copy. Please don't ask what brand. I don't think it's appropriate to discuss here. Please e-mail me for info. I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on this slightly used guitar. I have nothing against Gibson of course!

I love the Dunlop 65 cleaner/polish. Smells great too!

ELP1204.jpg

Archived