Gibson Brands Forums

Which tuning heads to buy???

Pukeblud

I have a gibson sg special faded project and I'm currently looking for (hopefully cheap) tuners. Which brands are best? Whats the difference between high end and low end tuners? Im looking at wilkinson tuners right now because they are significantly cheaper than the kluson/gibson ones. Whats the difference? Im starting to think buying "genuine gibson" parts has too much hype. I don't care about the value of my guitar, because i don't plan on selling it. I just want tuners that will fit and hold a tune. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

It really depends on what type of Wilkinson product you're looking at. Many of his products are produced in the UK but many are made in China/Korea. Usually the price reflects their manufacture location.

Gotoh is a real dependable Japanese made product, but they usually run around the same price as Grover hardware.

Be careful changing out tuners. If the hole size in your headstock is different, you can find yourself in a jam. Never drill out a headstock to accomodate larger diameter tuners or you will likely split your headstock (so much for saving a buck). Use a reamer instead. Also cheap tuners usually = pitch problems. There's good reason to stick w/ name brands: they have a reputation for reliability. I'd personally use Grovers. They're not that pricey, esp. if you shop around, and they come in a variety of locking styles.

Good luck.

Sometimes cheaper is a good option especially when buying things like selector switch surrounds etc... (Gibson charge $30+ for a round piece of plastic, come on!!), but where tuning is concerned don't even consider cheap. You may save a bit but when the dam thing won't stay in tune, you'll curse that saving. Buy decent kit like Grover, Schaller, Kluson every time!

Thanks guy i really appreciate all the feedback

Im looking to spend hopefully around thirty bucks. I know its cheap but Im going to hunt around ebay as long as I have to. Although I will spend more if thats what I have to do because i want decent quality tuners that won't have any issues. And Im a little confused about the Sperzel Trim-Loks. I don't see holes for them to be drilled into the headstock. How do they stay in? Thats the other thing is I don't want to have to drill any new hole to accommodate new tuning pegs.

Thanks again!

And Im a little confused about the Sperzel Trim-Loks. I don't see holes for them to be drilled into the headstock. How do they stay in? Thats the other thing is I don't want to have to drill any new hole to accommodate new tuning pegs.

They stay anchored two ways. 1. by the force of the washer & nut on the top and 2. there is a small pin (see below) that keeps the tuner oriented. I did a direct swap on my SG and they fit the holes exactly so the only drilling is a tiny 2.5mm hole for the pin.

3421_1spec.gif

Archived