Gibson Brands Forums

Help identify my Les Paul Studio

Pure Evil Music

So I recently got a Charvel Pro Mod on trade for a Carvin V220. The Charvel didn't jazz me too much so traded 2 days later for a 1999 Studio. The fella I traded seems to think it is a studio lite because of the smaller inlays. I contacted Gibson today and gave them the serial number. According to the rep on the phone, he says the serial number makes it a 1999 Smartwood LP Studio with a parboa top. Looking at the smartwood studio LP line online they all seem to have have dot inlays.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

post-35500-052576000 1314643570_thumb.jpg

I am not up on the smartwood models, and to be honest I haven't ever paid much attention because they are usually MORE expensive than the regular ones.

But-the fact that it has a non standard color and different inlays and gold hardware is a heads up that it might be a smartwood.

Sounds like you got the right info from Gibby.

And...MAJOR SCORE!!!

I am not up on the smartwood models, and to be honest I haven't ever paid much attention because they are usually MORE expensive than the regular ones.

But-the fact that it has a non standard color and different inlays and gold hardware is a heads up that it might be a smartwood.

Sounds like you got the right info from Gibby.

And...MAJOR SCORE!!!

Thanks and thanks! Recently got an Edwards LP custom that really turned me on to the LP style. For years I thought I would never own one, mostly due to price point. I generally like a "fancier" looking guitar (i.e. bound board, body and headstock, nice wood tops) but I got a good deal on the Edwards and love the feel. Wen the opportunity came up to trade the Charvel, I hopped on it.

Eureka!!! Talked to another fella at Gibson as the Smartwood theory seemed off. It is a Studio Plus '99. They made these from 1999 - 2001. This is the only model, supposedly that has the small inlays and MSRP was $1799 in 1999.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-studio-plus-99

I still say I got the better end of the deal on the trade.

Archived