Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar 'Rent to Buy'

BluesKing777

I would say that many manufacturers/builders are extremely glad such a scheme doesn't exist, if it did they would probably sell less guitars.

..and to counter that, they're probably eternally grateful for the internet and forums such as this where lots of GASaholics can feed off each other thus forcing up the numbers of guitars actually sold a little.

Interesting concept .......... however most of my life, I've had to sell what I have in order to "trade up" ... NOW I wish I had held on and saved up to go to the next step. Had I done so, I'd have my AJ and 2 J-45s but also an nice ES-150TD and a mid sixties red LES Paul TV Special and a J-45 Western and even my first guitar .... a Silvertone archtop f-hole

So yes, If I could have rented them .... I would have kept them .... and I'd own them still

Most rentals are pretty much utility instruments and you end up paying $20-$25 a month for something you could have bought outright for $250 (and which cost the store alot less). Great profits for the music store though which will rent out that same instrument for years. I cannot see any money for the store in renting out high dollar guitars unless they charge you through the wazoo each month.

I am a lucky little cuss in that every guitar I owned that I have laid out serious cash for was either owned by someone I knew or in a store where I was on good terms with the owner. So I got to take them home to give the tires a good kick - sometimes more than once - before I laid out my hard earned scratch. Bottom line is folks know this is the only way they will sell me a guitar.

The kicker is though there were more guitars I took home that while I liked intitially, I ended up not buying after I had my hands on them for a longer period of time.

Not sure I can answer the Q., but the principle is good. Why not, , , in case you are a bit insecure. It can be strezzfull to sit in shop again and again with no possibility to change strings, try certain songs etc. Take the thing home and see if your doubts can be overcome. Compare it to your other guitars, , , and your dreams. Let it grow on you or the opposite.

Then there are the ones that just feels plain right from strum 1. The clean treasures. That's a whole other another game. . .

The big music store chain in my neck of the woods will rent any of their used stock. You can do it by the day, week or month. Prices vary depending on the guitar in question. Everything from inexpensive to your Les Pauls, J-45's etc...Same goes for amps , drums, french horns.... you get the picture. Thats how I snagged my S-500, rented it for a week then decided to buy it. Very handy and very dangerous too.They also give you 60% of what ever you spent on rental costs if you buy.

I meant if you had the guitar to try for a few months before you bought it, even if you had to rent it for a longer 'Evaluation Period', would you still be as happy with it? I have bought a couple of guitars from eBay sight unseen and I am very happy with them, even though a few porkies were told by the sellers. A trip to the guitar tech fixed that. It is all down to luck though.

I have bought guitars from music shops in the past that I am not that happy with - one shop in particular had done the old 'banana in the diff' trick with the bridge.

And I never thought in a million years that a music shop would actually rent to buy like Vourot states......

BluesKing777.

What's a 'Banana in the diff' trick? I've never heard of this....

When a differential in a car is noisy and needing new gears after the very thickest oil does not help, an honest car dealer would put a banana in the diff oil to get rid of the whining sound while a dupe takes a test drive....

Honest guitar shop shaved too much off a bridge and to save five cents puts a wooden or cardboard shim under it....

BluesKing777.

Archived