Gibson Brands Forums

Honeyboy Edwards has left the room...

jaxson50

David Honeyboy Edwards played with Howlin Wolf, Little Walther and Muddy Waters, he was living history to those of us who love the blues and his 1997 book The World Don't Owe Me Nothing: The Life and Times of Delta Bluesman Honeyboy Edwards is a must read. He had a photographic memory and could recall every detail of his storied life.

We have lost a national treasure.

David Honeyboy Edwards played with Howlin Wolf, Little Walther and Muddy Waters, he was living history to those of us who love the blues and his 1997 book The World Don't Owe Me Nothing: The Life and Times of Delta Bluesman Honeyboy Edwards is a must read. He had a photographic memory and could recall every detail of his storied life.

We have lost a national treasure.

Fascinating video.

He was pretty sharp for 96.

I was blessed to get to know Honeyboy over the past decade. What a dear, sweet man.

In addition to the musicians listed by jaxson50, he was the last man standing who had played with Robert Johnson. He was even there the night Johnson was poisoned.

Honeyboy lived life to the fullest, and performed regularly until this spring when his health just wouldn't allow him to continue.

RIP, Honey.

HoneyAndKieth.jpg

David Honeyboy Edwards, the “Last of the Great Mississippi Delta Bluesmen” has died. This morning Monday August 29, 2011, about 3 am while resting peacefully at home, Honeyboy moved on to blues heaven. He lived a long, full life, and he felt at peace. He loved to say, “The world don’t owe me nothing.” Just shy of his 96th birthday, Honeyboy played his last gigs at the Juke Joint Festival and Cathead Mini-Festival in Clarksdale, Mississippi April 16 and 17, 2011.

Prior to his health turning for the worse in late April, Honeyboy was scheduled to play numerous gigs in Chicago, across the USA and in Europe, including today at Millennium Park in Chicago for the noon time concert series. His manager Michael Frank had to cancel all those dates due to Honeyboy’s declining health. He maintained a strong spirit until the end, telling stories and showing off his dexterity in his hands.

Visitation will be Thursday September 1 from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm, with an open mic for comments by his friends and fans from 7:00 to 8:00 pm at the funeral home. Services will

be private on Friday September 2.

McCullough Funeral & Cremation Services

851 E. 75th St.

Chicago, IL 60619

Phone: (773) 488-8900

For further information., contact his manager Michael Frank, Earwig Music Company, Inc., Chicago, Il. 773-262-0278 mfrank@earwigmusic.com

Archived