Gibson Brands Forums

tube amps

chris.

i want an all tube amp, i cant spend ofer 1000 dollars and i only use clean to moderate overdrive, im gunna be luggin it around everywhere so it needs to be light to i dont wanna throw out my back suggestions? i was thinking an ac 15 but i want to know what you guys think

AC15 isn't a bad choice, a more pertinent question is do you need a combo amp or do you have a cab you'd like to use with a new head? Also what kind of volumes you're looking at playing (Jamming/gigging/bedroom practice etc.) Those will help narrow down your options.

AC15 isn't a bad choice, a more pertinent question is do you need a combo amp or do you have a cab you'd like to use with a new head? Also what kind of volumes you're looking at playing (Jamming/gigging/bedroom practice etc.) Those will help narrow down your options.

If you want cleans, Twin Reverb is the way to go. Get dirt from pedals. However 85 watts is a bit much. My friend has a Hot Rod Deluxe and it sounds fantastic

For cleans, I always nod towards Fenders, tons of different amps in a plethora of different price ranges and wattages

If you want cleans, Twin Reverb is the way to go. Get dirt from pedals. However 85 watts is a bit much. My friend has a Hot Rod Deluxe and it sounds fantastic

For cleans, I always nod towards Fenders, tons of different amps in a plethora of different price ranges and wattages

+1. Deluxe Reverbs are great for cleans too!

i need a combo, the less to carry the better i have to haul it all myself that mean guitar in one hand amp in the other and it doesnt really matter how loud it gets im going to be miking it up

i need a combo, the less to carry the better i have to haul it all myself that mean guitar in one hand amp in the other and it doesnt really matter how loud it gets im going to be miking it up

Have a look at the Egnator Rebel 30, selectable from 1 to 30 watts, 2 channels, built in verb, all tube and I think you can get it in a combo too... I have the head and love it!

Pretty much every amp listed in this thread would work, go try out as many of them as you can and see if one connects with you.

Check out the Carvin website. You might like the Vintage series Belair or Nomad. They only sell direct though, so unless you see a used one in a store you can't really test them out. But you do have I think 30 days to return it.

went to guitar center today i know what amp im going to buy the blues jr just dont know if i should go nos or not, amazing sound loud as all get out and its 20 pounds lighter than the ac 15 and thats 30 pounds lighter than the amp im lugging around i love the sound of this amp

went to guitar center today i know what amp im going to buy the blues jr just dont know if i should go nos or not, amazing sound loud as all get out and its 20 pounds lighter than the ac 15 and thats 30 pounds lighter than the amp im lugging around i love the sound of this amp

I'm loving my Blues Jr. NOS. Got mine used (in perfect condition) at GC for $379. It had just come in on a trade an hour or so earlier, and I was the first one to look at it. Great amp!

~DB

dangit spoke to soon it doesnt have an fx loop............ is the blues deluxe and the hot rod deluxe the exact same as the blues junior just more wattage and better features? do they sound different or just louder?

At your age I had no problems carrying the deluxe reverb in one hand and a guitar case in the other.

The advantage to the DR is that it even works as a PA if you're doing a solo or duo gig. You can plug the guitar into one set of inputs and a mike into the other.

Ditto the Twin, but the DR is a lot lighter and more than plenty loud.

Mine was purchased new in late '65, so I can't comment on the newer versions. But I got my little acoustic electric amp to roughly duplicate what the DR could do. I swapped the DR for a big (as in 90 pounds) 120 watt tube amp that hasn't been out of the house for years 'cuz it's just plain too heavy. I got it with the same capability as the DR except more power. Now... I wish I hadn't. For solo work, it's easier to schlep the little SS AE amp for really small gig or a small PA system for something a big bigger.

But here's another thought... Yes tube amps have special capabilities, but a cost vs. power vs weight can make a good quality SS look pretty good, especially if you're playing pretty much clean. You miss a shade of warmth from a musician's perspective, but I'm not all that sure an audience hears that much difference in most venues - especially if you use much for a stomp box and even a DR or Twin emulator such as are available.

m

dangit spoke to soon it doesnt have an fx loop............ is the blues deluxe and the hot rod deluxe the exact same as the blues junior just more wattage and better features? do they sound different or just louder?

Blues deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe are the same except for the "more drive" switch.

Blues Deluxe uses 6L6 tubes and the Blues Junior uses EL84 tubes in the power section. They both will react and sound different, and more so when you turn the amp up.

The Blues Deluxe with the 6L6 can get very loud, and for normal practice with a band and bar volume, you will not be able to turn it up loud enough to get power tube distortion. It will also have better bass and a more full round sound, so it may be better if you plan on getting distortion from pedals.

With the Jr., you have a chance at turning it up enough to get some compression with the power tubes, and the el-84 tubes can provide more color, mostly like a midrange growl.

I'm loving my Blues Jr. NOS. Got mine used (in perfect condition) at GC for $379. It had just come in on a trade an hour or so earlier, and I was the first one to look at it. Great amp!

~DB

You didn't happen to get that Blues Jr NOS from the Sherman Oaks, CA Guitar Center did you? I thought I saw a Blues Jr NOS in perfect condition about a month ago. Should of grabbed it when I saw it. I ended up ordering one from MF for $499 shipped.

Dunno man, the reissue do not sound that bad either....even compared it with an actual 65 deluxe reverb and they sounded pretty damn close.

eh I disagree, the DRRI I had was complete utter dog ****....Couldn't handle pedals AT all, and the clean's were lacking presence and bass...my HRDLX kill's it IMO and is 300$ cheaper...The older one's, well I can't speak for them, but I bet there's a reason they became famous, so if I ever go down that route again it'll be a vintage DRRI.

As you can probably assume the DRRI I had was returned 3 days after it arrived.

Archived