Gibson Brands Forums

tube amps

chris.

eh I disagree, the DRRI I had was complete utter dog ****....Couldn't handle pedals AT all, and the clean's were lacking presence and bass...my HRDLX kill's it IMO and is 300$ cheaper...The older one's, well I can't speak for them, but I bet there's a reason they became famous, so if I ever go down that route again it'll be a vintage DRRI.

As you can probably assume the DRRI I had was returned 3 days after it arrived.

Like I said, I have played and compared the reissue with the an actual unmodded 65 Deluxe Reverb and the tone was not at all different. But, then again there will always be that "vintage mystique appeal". Perhaps, becoming rich and famous the tone may change? [biggrin]

To me the DRRI can handle pedals just fine, infact Proguitarshop.com often use the DRRI to demo pedals [flapper] [flapper]

You can't please everyone as what they say. I like anchovies but some don't on their pizza.

Also, I also have a HRDLX and not really fair comparison as one is high gain amp and one is not, and that also goes for comparing it with the HRDLX's clean channel. They both will breakup different and have a different tone as both have different power tubes, 6V6 compared to 6L6 (higher head room) Different animals.

To me the DRRI can handle pedals just fine, infact Proguitarshop.com often use the DRRI to demo pedals [flapper] [flapper]

Yea that was the reason for me buying one, but then when pushing any dirt pedals through it, they all sounded fizzy and unpleasant ....the HRDLX is in no way a "high gain" amp...Hell it's drive channel is pretty freakin bad, but it handle's pedals better then any other amp I've had and the clean channel is exceptional ( Fender Super Sonic, DRRI, Egnater Tweaker, Traynor YVC Blackstar 40, Fender Bassman 50, Bugera BC30, Peavey Classic 30, Class5, etc.). Anyway just my my opinion and I'm finding it very difficult to find a great amp that takes pedals exceptionally well..It seem's I need to save up about 3g and get a Hiwatt SA212.

dangit spoke to soon it doesnt have an fx loop............ is the blues deluxe and the hot rod deluxe the exact same as the blues junior just more wattage and better features? do they sound different or just louder?

Dude! Don't let that deter you!

Effects loops are bullshit. I doubt you'd get a good sounding fx loop in a regular ol fender amp anyways. Seriously.. fx loops are ghey. Just plug your pedals into the regular input the same way everybody you like has always done.

What kindof effects are you using anyways? Fx loops are mainly just for delay and modulation. You really just use them so that your delay/modulation comes after the distortion when you're running your amp dirty. If you're running your amp even relatively clean trust me you don't need or want an fx loop.

I think in most ways, the Blues Deluxe and the DRRI sound more alike than the DRRI and a real one.

I think one of the detriments of both or the new Fenders is the sound when you crank them. They both don't really sound all that great, and have a biting treble and a nastiness to them that makes them limited for such use.

But really, to be fair, we are talking about new amps that are worth roughly 500 bucks used compared to a hand wired amp worth about a grand used for a silverfaced. The Blackfaced ones sound even better, but talking more money.

I have heard plenty the DRRI as well as Silver and blackfaced Deluxes. Also had a Blues Deluxe-and a good one at that. I have tried EVERYTHING to make the Blues deluxe sound as good as the real Fenders. It can not be done.

But to really be fair to the DRRI, they come with the reissue Jensens usually. And a reissue Jensen does not work in a real Deluxe Reverb.

It might be interesting to have DRRI and try good speakers and tubes and maybe some mods to make it sound good, but for the price a silverfaced Deluxe Reverb for about a grand is money better spent than a new DRRI or even a used one and sinking money into it.

Dude! Don't let that deter you!

Effects loops are bullshit. I doubt you'd get a good sounding fx loop in a regular ol fender amp anyways. Seriously.. fx loops are ghey. Just plug your pedals into the regular input the same way everybody you like has always done.

What kindof effects are you using anyways? Fx loops are mainly just for delay and modulation. You really just use them so that your delay/modulation comes after the distortion when you're running your amp dirty. If you're running your amp even relatively clean trust me you don't need or want an fx loop.

the only effect i really need is delay and i was worried about it going in front of the distortion but i guess your right i wont be pushing the amp too hard so it shouldnt be that big of an issue

Archived