Gibson Brands Forums

60's goldtop tribute beats the standard and traditional

lospopolos

As an LP player since 22 years i can say i've had Epiphone,BC Rich,Ibanez and Gibson guitars but i can tell i even owned a les paul standard and a classic antique which i sold lately.Now today i was rehearsing with the friend who bought my classic antique and we were amazed how that baby Trbute makes noize and rock n roll.For a low price get that guitar its beating standard and classic in my opinion of course its not that well made as the antique or standard but still the goldtop Tribute is amazing im amazed!

post-34608-011588100 1314814327_thumb.jpg

lospop:

You are making it hard for me to make a decision. My delima is I have a 60's cherryburst tribute, about 2 wks old. It is having some switch and toner issues, very sad. I have a chance to trade it for a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe. I was happy with GT but disappointed about the electronics.

Other than that it is a very playable and rocking guitar. The Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe has the 60's syle neck just like the tribute. I am having a hard choice anyone have an opinion.

lospop:

You are making it hard for me to make a decision. My delima is I have a 60's cherryburst tribute, about 2 wks old. It is having some switch and toner issues, very sad. I have a chance to trade it for a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe. I was happy with GT but disappointed about the electronics.

Other than that it is a very playable and rocking guitar. The Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe has the 60's syle neck just like the tribute. I am having a hard choice anyone have an opinion.

Well, if you truly love it, before you bail on it...try having the switch blown out

(might be some saw dust, in the contact points), or using contact cleaner, on it.

Same, with the pots. IF none of that helps, take it back in, and either exchange it,

or have new pots and a switch replacement installed. It's still under warranty.

On the other hand, if you just aren't "bonding," with it..."trade away!" ;>)

I happen to love my "Tribute Gold Tops"...more, every time I play them!

DSC_0049.jpg

CB

I happen to love my "Tribute Gold Tops"...more, every time I play them!

CB

I feel exactly the same!!! I love Her more and more every day! Best guitar for the price ever made by Gibson! (Would be great if they did a 70's Tribute - as a cheaper sister of Deluxe with minis and voluted maple neck [cool] ) Cheers... Bence

if you like the guitar then get some eletrical contact cleaner and spray it down (that stuff cleans dirty crackling pots very well) one sprayed repeatedly toggle the switch through all 3 positions to ensure the cleaner gets into the switch. if you find this has not improved have the switch replaced with a switchcraft.

the Tribute goldtop I tried was chambered and IMO had no soul. Harmonics were almost dead and didnt perform as well as my trad. However I do think the Chambered guitars can be a hit an miss with good and bad examples, more so than swiss cheese but being left handed I dont get much of a choice in the stores. I did fall in love with the P90's though wow great pickups

Archived