Gibson Brands Forums

Vodka VS Beer...thoughts?

swleary

A good dark Stout or Bock is great once the weather cools a bit, but I prefer a good wheat beer during the hot summer months. If we're talking vodka I like Ketel One on the rocks, I think Grey Goose is severely overrated. With whiskey I usually go Irish (being of Irish descent probably has a lot to do with it, just seems right eh?), I prefer Jameson in that regard.

Guest farnsbarns

I'm not keen on vodka but I do brew my own very dark, very strong beer using the methods of Belgian trapist monks. Around 12% by specific gravity.

A good beer is the color of either a rosewood or ebony fingerboard. No maple for me.

Best be careful, beer the colour of rosewood or ebony is bound to be banned soon....[flapper][scared] :unsure: [crying][sneaky][lol] ......

My sister drank vodka; once she died I haven't touched it since....I LOVE [love] a fifth of gin though.......

I can drink a fifth like a lovely glass of ice water, but, my gal only allows me to drink beer, and only once a week, and only two beers at that :blink: ......

I'm not keen on vodka but I do brew my own very dark, very strong beer using the methods of Belgian 'trapist' monks. Around 12% by specific gravity.

Gosh...I am speechless.....that is strong, in wine territory....

There used to be a drink called Barley Wine which might be similar....

V.....but not 4 vodka

:-({|=

Guest farnsbarns

Gosh...I am speechless.....that is strong, in wine territory....

There used to be a drink called Barley Wine which might be similar....

V.....but not 4 vodka

:-({|=

I believe barley wine is a term coined in some places where there is a legal limit on how strong beer can be. If I were to sell my beer in pubs here in England it would have to be sold as barley wine and be labeled "4 UK units".

I ferment it three times the specific gravity at the first two tells me it has potential to be 12% and by the end the hydrometer sinks completely so it is at 12%, I then add another small amount of raw sugar and bottle it so it may even be 13 or 14% after the 6 week bottle fermentation.As the last fermentation is in the bottle so there is a danger of explosion. Needless to say that last fermentation occurs with the bottles under a heavy tarp.

I believe barley wine is a term coined in some places where there is a legal limit on how strong beer can be. If I were to sell my beer in pubs here in England it would have to be sold as barley wine and be labeled "4 UK units".

I ferment it three times the specific gravity at the first two tells me it has potential to be 12% and by the end the hydrometer sinks completely so it is at 12%, I then add another small amount of raw sugar and bottle it so it may even be 13 or 14% after the 6 week bottle fermentation.As the last fermentation is in the bottle so there is a danger of explosion. Needless to say that last fermentation occurs with the bottles under a heavy tarp.

Sounds awesome.

Depends on the occasion. If I need to get drunk fast and not fill my belly: vodka. And yes, that has happened where I NEEDED to get drunk fast. Recently did bachelor party in Atlantic City, NJ (no offense, but I hate that place more than any other place in the USA). So in order to enjoy myself, drank 1/2 liter of vodka in under an hour. Had plenty of practice so I know my limits for vodka. For long drinking nights: beer.

Archived