Gibson Brands Forums

Neck profile

Tman

I have an undeniable and probably unstoppable urge to get a Gibson acoustic. I own a few electrics.

Is there an acoustic neck profile that is close to or identical to a 60's slim profile like those found on a 60's (or re-issue) Les Paul? I see most of the acoustics have a 24.75 scale which is perfect for me.

If so what is it called? Any info appreciated. I actually have done some research both on and off this forum and I have an idea but am not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Phil

I have an undeniable and probably unstoppable urge to get a Gibson acoustic. I own a few electrics.

Is there an acoustic neck profile that is close to or identical to a 60's slim profile like those found on a 60's (or re-issue) Les Paul? I see most of the acoustics have a 24.75 scale which is perfect for me.

If so what is it called? Any info appreciated. I actually have done some research both on and off this forum and I have an idea but am not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Phil

That one's a little tricky, because what Gibson generally refers to as the "slim 60's profile" for electrics is typically similar to the '61-'62-'63 ES 335-type neck. I think the modern version of that in Gibson electrics is a composite of neck profiles in that period, which vary quite a bit. That's a very distinctive neck compared to the late-60's skinny-neck versions, which are both thin in profile and narrow on the fretboard.

You really should try some modern Gibson (post 1990) acoustics, probably the "standard" versions rather than the "true vintage" styles. I suspect you might find that some these are fairly similar to "slim profile" electric necks. Unfortunately, my Gibson electrics are either the fat '59 versions ('59 Nashville ES 335 Historic), or the mid-6os skinny ones ('68 ES 335-12), so I can't make a comparison.

^ Yep, I agree with what Nick wrote. I can't offer measurements, but my 08 J-200 has a very similar profile to my 10 ES-359 which is the 30/60 - .03" more depth than the 60s slim. My 65 MM is a bit thinner from the nut to about 4 or 5.

A good topic. I hope some of the other guys chime in - maybe someone has a caliper for a measurement at the nut.

Thanks Nick and BigK. Very helpful.

I'll try some out at TrueTone this weekend and report back.

I have a 95 LP classic which had (has) the description of a 60's slim and I have never played a better playing neck - absolutely perfect for me and I remember when I tried it out versus other LPs in the store. I sat down and said "I'll take it" after about 2 seconds of play. [thumbup] I would love to find an acoustic that feels roughly the same.

How does the comfort contour neck play? The description sounds good. I know it's like reading a book about riding a bike, gotta play it.

If you feel a true urge for an acoustic G, don't let the neck be too big an issue. The contemporary acoustic Gibson necks are smooth, pleasant and play well.

You'll get used to it quick and soon be able to focus on what matters : The right Guitar as a whole.

Don't let the neck be too big an issue. The contemporary acoustic Gibson necks are smooth, pleasant and play well. Focus on what matters : The right Guitar as a whole.

The slim profile might be less important on a flattop anyhow (sounds better with open and partial chords than barres). Anyway, you'll find necks are 'low profile" (shallow C) on a number of models which is in the ballpark.

As for the guitar as a whole, 'Paul players often gravitate toward models with rosewood back and sides, so you might look into a J45R, but really, just try a bunch.

Gibson does not do the same kind of marketing around acoustic necks as they do on the electrics. For example, you won't find acoustic models with a "50s neck" or a "60s slim taper neck". For the most part I think you will see descriptions like "traditional round" and "traditional v", which are quite vague when you actually play some of these guitars and think about what Gibson calls them.

There are differences in the necks, but I think many of them do tend to be on the thinner side. My 2008 Advanced Jumbo has quite a thin neck, for example. Actually somewhat similar to the neck on my 2006 Memphis ES-335, which is listed as slim taper. Although my 2005 Historic '63 Reissue 335's neck is also listed as slim taper and is a bit thicker (not much, though).

The Songwriter Deluxe has a "comfort contour neck". I have found these to be thicker than my AJ's neck, with more square shoulders. Not necessarily better or worse than the AJ's neck, just different.

Then my J-45 Legend has a very thick neck. I think the L-00 Legend has a very pronounced v neck, but it has been a while since I got to play one.

Bottom line, as others have said, is that you have to go out and play several of them and see what you like. As Em7 said, the acoustic necks these days all play very smoothly. I would definitely suggest you try out both an Advanced Jumbo and a Songwriter Deluxe before you make a decision (and, of course, a J-45!).

Thanks for the advice and very helpful info. I'm going to TrueTone in LA tomorrow to try some out. I'll figure out which neck profile I prefer. I know I like lighter strings, even on an acoustic so I want a thinner neck on the spectrum for my small hands to play lighter strings - what kinda logic is that?

Funny how this obsession has evolved:

Wanted a J160E just like Lennons (the world has waited long enough for my songwriting debut), then thought I don't want the laminated top nor the ladder brace so maybe the 160E standard with a solid top and X brace and a P100. At least I'd look a bit like Lennon. Then well the P100 may not be what I'm after.

Currently I'm obsessing on the J45 Rosewood with the Baggs electronics. Then I heard behind blue eyes and saw the Cat Stevens video posted here and thought - shoot, I need a J-200 dammit.

I now feel like this: avt33.gif

News at 11, tomorrow.

Cheers,

Phil

Thanks Nick and BigK. Very helpful.

I'll try some out at TrueTone this weekend and report back.

I have a 95 LP classic which had (has) the description of a 60's slim and I have never played a better playing neck - absolutely perfect for me and I remember when I tried it out versus other LPs in the store. I sat down and said "I'll take it" after about 2 seconds of play. [thumbup] I would love to find an acoustic that feels roughly the same.

How does the comfort contour neck play? The description sounds good. I know it's like reading a book about riding a bike, gotta play it.

My new J45 has a comfort contour neck and it is ideal if one is accoustomed to a narrow neck and tin neck. One might call it fast. I love mine and it suits me well. In addition, it is available on many new Gibsons like the J45 and the J45 custom.

My new J45 has a comfort contour neck and it is ideal if one is accustomed to a narrow neck and tin neck. One might call it fast. I love mine and it suits me well. In addition, it is available on many new Gibsons like the J45 and the J45 custom.

Thanks Jdd. Now I can't wait to play one. Given everything, I think the J45 custom may be what I'm after.

Thanks Jdd. Now I can't wait to play one. Given everything, I think the J45 custom may be what I'm after.

The 45 Custom is a beautiful instrument. Looks good (just enough bling but not too much) and sounds great. The short scale and slim neck make it wonderfully playable. The ebony neck and rosewood back/sides make it ring clear. I personally like the natural color but they are hard to find and a Gibson 'burst is a thing of beauty. Good Luck!

The 45 Custom is a beautiful instrument. Looks good (just enough bling but not too much) and sounds great. The short scale and slim neck make it wonderfully playable. The ebony neck and rosewood back/sides make it ring clear. I personally like the natural color but they are hard to find and a Gibson 'burst is a thing of beauty. Good Luck!

Now I am completely Pavlovian for one. smiley-bounce005.gif

One thing to keep in mind is that a J160e (mahog b/s) is a whole 'nother thing from rw. Clean crisp ring vs rw's broooinggg. You'll hear that when you get there, but the point is to find the one that suits your music not get hung up who played what.

Take 3 deep breaths now and 3 more before going into the shop. Then dim your eyes and user your ears. Try to, anyhow.

I know. Too much coffee today I'm afraid. [scared]

I am excited to give my opinions on my perceived differences of the neck profiles. I plan to play a J45,J160E, Hummingbird, Songwriter deluxe and a J-200 (and actually anything else they have there). It's a five star dealer so they should be stacked with good stuff. As it is now though, I feel confident that'll I'll like the 24.745 scale better than the 25.

One thing to keep in mind is that a J160e (mahog b/s) is a whole 'nother thing from rw. Clean crisp ring vs rw's broooinggg. You'll hear that when you get there, but the point is to find the one that suits your music not get hung up who played what.

Thanks Rambler. Agreed. Although Lennon is a songwriting hero of mine, after doing reading on this, I think I won't go for the repro of his guitar. My brother has an entry level Martin (DM) that I think gives the crisp clean sound well.

I definitely want some more boom or broooinggg as you put it [biggrin]

I would highly recommend you check out the j45 custom too it's similar to a 60 profile You might also check out the hummingbird pro

it has a rounded 60 thin line neck much the same as a 60 L/P only problem is the scale length 25 1/2... have fun &

good luck in your search!!

Went to TrueTone yesterday. Five star dealer. First played a J160 in the upper left of this photo: The neck was just a bit too thick for me.

IMG_0074.jpg

Then I played a J-200 ($11,000). That's correct, you heard me. It's the one to the right in the photo below.

Then I played the J45 custom that a number of you recommended, in the center of the photo above.

The clouds parted and I heard angels singing. The first strum brought out "that's the one" from my wife. Instant BFF. Zero doubt I want it.

Then I saw this hanging on the wall:

IMG_0075.jpg

A One off Gold Top J45! I love it. Now I gotta figure out how to make it happen. This one is mahogany. I loved the Rosewood. I hope it can happen. Maybe by next year. The J45 is definitely the neck profile I want. Essentially like my LP.

Tman, sounds like a productive trip. The J45 custom sound is clearly your benchmark for sound. The GT had eye appeal, but, as noted, its not a musical factor. Cheers.

Thanks for the responses! The J45 is definitely the feel, perfect and the sound exactly what I want.

Jdd and BigK that guitar was perfect (the rosewood). I asked TrueTone if it is possible to get a Rosewood gold top. With all the crap going on I don't if it is possible to get anything Rosewood now. I may just try to buy this one. Scheisse.

Rambler I liked your first response- my (and my wife's) reaction had to do with sound sense. It was instantaneous and somewhat innate.

Cheers

Archived