Gibson Brands Forums

I've Had It...

charlie brown

Well, boys and girls...I can stand it, no longer.

My 1999 Classic, is going to get new pickups ('57 and 57 Plus),

DSC_0024.jpg

And, my '76 Deluxe, is getting new pots, and caps (or, maybe just new caps?) We'll

see, when I get up there!

DSC_0008.jpg

The Classic's stock pickups, are just too "hot" for what I tend to do. So, I'm going

to get the lower output '57's. My dealer will install the pickups, at no charge, after

purchase.

The Deluxe, has always had tone pots, that do nothing, until the last 1/4 turn (down),

then the change is very abrupt. So, we'll see, what it takes, to remedy that. I may

have both done '50's wiring style, while I'm at it. Not sure, yet.

Any ideas, or suggestions, about that...I'm all ears! (The pickup decision, has already

been made, based on great past experience, with their particular tone.)

CB

The Deluxe, has always had tone pots, that do nothing, until the last 1/4 turn (down),

then the change is very abrupt. So, we'll see, what it takes, to remedy that. I may

have both done '50's wiring style, while I'm at it. Not sure, yet.

Good luck with the changes you are contemplating, CB.

I'm sure you know that '50s wiring is a very different set-up to what you already have.

Make sure you like the changes that come with the last 1/4 turn UP of that style, as it's the polar opposite of what you are used to....Nothing much from 1 - 7.5 and then all happens at once!

P.

I strongly reccomend the '50 wiring! change the pots and caps too, Gibson stock pots where way off the mark when I tested them and went for CTS with a +/- 5% tolerance. Also the tiny ceramic caps IMO are useless hence your tone pots only working on the last 1/4 turn.

The Bumblebee/Grey Tiger etc reissues caps IMO are overpriced and I found the orange drops to be just as good but with a touch more clarity and a fraction of the price.

Also (and this is just another possibility) if you tend to use your volume pots alot during playing you may want to look into the Treble Bleed mod to stop treble loss when turning the volume pots down. I dont have this mod on my Gibsons as I dont use the volume knobs unless im using the selector switch as a Killswitch or the sound engineer is yelling at me to turn down.

Tone is different from person to person but I found after modifying my LP & SG the clarity and air of the tone was greatly improved like the difference of having waxy ears when playing.

Thanks, guys...

I won't mind "the polar opposite" in the tone pots, if that's the trade off.

Much rather have the business end, at the beggining, than the end of the cycle.

Much easier (for me) to control, that way. I think you're right, too, about the

caps. Going to try "Orange Drops," instead. The good thing is, I'll be there

to test it..as they go. Since it's a 2-hour drive, each way...I make sure I

make an appointment, to have the work done, "while I wait," as often as I can.

They've been really good, about that, over the years.

And, I will do the "treble bleed" mod, as well. I have that, on several other

guitars. I didn't do it, on these 2, thus far, because it's not that big a deal,

the way I play, but it IS nice, when you need it, for sure! I'm really hoping,

all this will help get me much closer to the tone I remember, from my youth...

before all these many, many pickup choices, and mods were available.

We'll see, I guess?

CB

CB, I love ya (not in that way) but I'm scratching my head here. Why don't you buy some aftermarket pickups? '57s are good as far as stock Gibson pickups go but there are way better choices out there for the same amount of money. Some of the boutique pickups can be expensive but some aren't. Throw some Wolfetones in there and you'll be grinning ear to ear. [biggrin]

As for pots/caps, RS Guitar has a 25% off sale right now.

CB, I love ya (not in that way) but I'm scratching my head here. Why don't you buy some aftermarket pickups? '57s are good as far as stock Gibson pickups go but there are way better choices out there for the same amount of money. Some of the boutique pickups can be expensive but some aren't. Throw some Wolfetones in there and you'll be grinning ear to ear. [biggrin]

As for pots/caps, RS Guitar has a 25% off sale right now.

LOL...well, my pickup choice, was based on past experience, really. I've always like '57's.

I'm sure there are other's that are as good, or better...but they're a known quantity, to me.

Maybe(?), I'm just toooo conservative, that way? ;>)

But, I'll keep the "Wolfetones" in mind...

Thanks, R9

CB

CB, I have to agree with the 57s as I have them on three guitars, well I guess on two guitars, I sold one to a friend last night.

I have 57s in a Week 34 es Paul guitar of the week and in a ES359. Also had them In a 339 and I love them in all of those guitars. Decided I didn't need three guitars with the same pups and difinately didn't need the 339 and the 359 so I sold the 339 to a friend that has been wanting it.

He also wanted something with the 57s because of previous experience with those pick ups in a guitar.

Sounds like a great plan to me.

Gill

Archived