Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul trad pro bright sounding

Kzin

I bought a les paul trad about 6 month ago. I have noticed its brighter than a 2006 standard I have (unpluged). I dont know if I should be worried or not. I´m not very good at telling if the pro just have more treble or if its thinner sounding. It feels very resonant and sustains great IMO. I do however prefer the sound of my standard, but I dont like the feel of the standard. The pro on the other hand plays like butter.

Thought?

Traditional pro's volume pots are CTS 500K with 57 classic Pickups

2006 standard's volume pots are Gibson 300k with Burstbucker Pickups

if its too bright i would swap out the volume pots for 300k pots this should get it to how you want it.

What does it sound like plugged in? You should try adjusting the height of the pickups. Gibson guitars are often poorly set up from the factory and need adjustments.

Traditional pro's volume pots are CTS 500K with 57 classic Pickups

Unless things have changed, Gibson USA guitars don't have 500k volume pots.

Tone 500k, volume, 300k.

What does it sound like plugged in? You should try adjusting the height of the pickups. Gibson guitars are often poorly set up from the factory and need adjustments.

Unless things have changed, Gibson USA guitars don't have 500k volume pots.

Tone 500k, volume, 300k.

According to the Gibson page http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro.aspx they do have 500k pots.

Some other reasons for the difference in tone might be (in my opinion) -

Different pickups.

Trad Pro is weight relieved as opposed to chambered.

Strings- what strings are you using? Same type/brand on both guitars?

Are both guitars wired the same way?

Do you have the coil taps pulled on the Trad Pro?

What value caps are in each guitar?

Any number of things could be contributing to the difference.

The brightness is almost certainly due to the 500k vs 300k pot. I put 500k's in my Les Paul to get that sound; I find it makes the guitar more versatile. If it's really not to your choice, changing the pots to 300K should darken the sound slightly.

brighter than a 2006 standard I have (unpluged).

I think he is saying that when he plays the guitars unplugged. so volume and tone pots would have little to do with sound the guitar makes acoustically.

Number of factors.. whether the body is Swiss-cheese-holes, chambered or solid.. how old or new the strings are.. etc.

I think he is saying that when he plays the guitars unplugged. so volume and tone pots would have little to do with sound the guitar makes acoustically.

Number of factors.. whether the body is Swiss-cheese-holes, chambered or solid.. how old or new the strings are.. etc.

The acoustic tone is strongly affected by the maple top, the body wood, the neck/fingerboard woods, and the various weight relieving methods. Do the two guitars weigh about the same or are they very different? That would give you an idea.

Regardless of the acoustic tone, R9 has it right: this is an electric guitar and you should focus on how it sounds plugged into an amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help everyone!

I´m changing the bridge PU to a classic 57 plus instead of the BB3, 300k volume pots and covers on the pups and see how that turns out.

Booth use elixir nanowebs 10-46, coil split is not engaged, I have lowered the pups o the trad pro a good bit, I might even lower them more. Acusticly they do sound different, but I´ll see how pronunced that difference will be thru an amp after I´ve made the changes to the pro.

Archived