Gibson Brands Forums

The reason for my J200 GAS

drathbun

I first started GASing for a blonde, flamed J200 when I saw this one. Of course I was only 20 at the time and had to wait 35 years for it, but OMG, it is sooo worth it! What an amazing instrument!

Notes on this performance of "If I Laugh" by the Cat...

This video was produced as part of the BBC series "The Old Grey Whistle Test" and recorded in BBC studios in London. There were a series of music videos produced (well before the term was coined) with various artists of the day. Cat has his J200 (looks like a 60's model?) tuned to open E for this song. Watch Cat's face during the last verse where he screws up the lyric singing "and live at night" instead of "and sleep at night". Side man Alun Davies is playing an Epiphone Frontier (I think).

Steven's gave this guitar away when he devoted his life to his spiritual life rather than music. Years later, he's recording again and, guess what, has acquired another flamed maple J200. :)

I play this song in open D rather than open E and capo at 2. I think with this tuning there is less chance of the guitar imploding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqVtmIVD9xc

That is one great-sounding guitar, and I understand your case of GAS. I get the same feeling when Pete Townshend picks the opening notes of "Behind Blue Eyes" on his J-200.

Oh, OH.....I'm having a GAS attack. Somebody save me before I do something rash!!

I would not have crossed the road to see Cat Stevens but I hear ya Hoss. The only guitar I ever bought because of a specific artist was a Gibson J-200. I was told if I wanted to play da' blues and be heard at the back of the church a J-200 was the guitar to get. I heeded that advice although it did take me some 20 years but I got me a maple body J-200

Archived