Gibson Brands Forums

J-200 Pickguard

Scotto

I have a beautiful Montana Gold J-200. The pickguard is coming off. Apparently the glue is losing its adhesiveness. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience in re-gluing the pickguard back on? I want to use the proper glue. This guitar is a work of art and I plan on handing it down to my sons one day.

Thank you for your suggestions.

My Gibson dealer, Dave's Guitar Shop, in La Crosse, Wisconsin, uses a 3M product which comes in thin sheets that can be cut to the exact size of the pickguard, covering the entire area of the top under the guard uniformly (and invisibly) with adhesive.

Some J-200 pickguards are translucent, and on those, an unevenly applied "tube" glue pattern can show through the guard, most unattractively.

I'd consider having it done professionally. Shouldn't be too expensive, because I presume you don't need to buy a new guard.

Also, before proceeding with the "reglue" operation, the old adhesive needs to be carefully removed from both the back of the pickguard, and from the top of the guitar, without scratching either surface.

Good luck,

Jack6849

My Gibson pickguard came off as well and I did in the same way as Jack6489 suggests. This work very well.

My Gibson dealer, Dave's Guitar Shop, in La Crosse, Wisconsin, uses a 3M product which comes in thin sheets that can be cut to the exact size of the pickguard, covering the entire area of the top under the guard uniformly (and invisibly) with adhesive.

Some J-200 pickguards are translucent, and on those, an unevenly applied "tube" glue pattern can show through the guard, most unattractively.

I'd consider having it done professionally. Shouldn't be too expensive, because I presume you don't need to buy a new guard.

Also, before proceeding with the "reglue" operation, the old adhesive needs to be carefully removed from both the back of the pickguard, and from the top of the guitar, without scratching either surface.

Good luck,

Jack6849

Good luck,

Jack6849

+1 on the 3M double adhesive for pickguards. I've used it and it is a cinch to do. Peel off the top protective layer and press the pickguard down firmly on to the sheet. Trace the pickguard outline with an exacto knife #11 blade. Peel off the bottom protective layer and press the pickguard in place. Works like a charm and no messy glue!

Agree with using the 3m sheets. I have attached two pickguards with them this year and it went easy as pie. You can buy the sheets from a place like Stew Mac. Just attach the sheet to the pickguard and trim off what you don't need, lay the pickguard where you want it to go, attack some painter's tape to the edge so it opens like a book, and then just peel off the backing paper and lay the pickguard down.

Be careful with where you send it. Make absolutely sure they use the standard 3M stuff Montana uses (exact product name was mentioned in another thread). I was unaware of this and had my guitar sent back to gibson europe and they used the wrong glue. The wrong glue can kill your nitro...

Archived