Gibson Brands Forums

Ed Roman - Should I Purchase??

leclark

Why it is not a good deal? Well for example I'm interested in some pre-gibson steinberger...

The rare cases that ER offers a real "pre-Gibson" (which actually should be "pre-MusicYo") Steinberger, you're most likely going to pay with your first born, or at least with your kidneys for it. But most of the stuff he shows on his website (GMs and even a GL) aren't "real" Steinbergers, they are bastards lumped together from non matching parts from his stock.

He offers several "GM-xR" guitars. Such guitars did never exist and were never built by Steinberger. What he actually does is taking an old GM body (routed for the T-/S-Trem), works on it with a hacksaw until the (wider) R-Trem fits, and installs a Hohner R-Trem. And a Moses neck. When he is finished, NOTHING on this guitar is original, not even the body (which once was, before fitting an R-Trem). Do yourself a favor and simply believe all the warning voices. Or visit ER and buy one of his "original" Steinbergers for more than $3k, and then sell it on ebay for $400. That's what what the non-destructed parts might be worth. There have been several of his creations (or cratures?) on ebay during the last two years, starting with a price of about $3k. Most were sold under $1k, if at all. Some were sold at about $1.5k. Poor buyers, at this price they could have had a "real" Steinberger as well. Some weren't sold at all.

Whoa Be.Em I've seen you by here and read you, you're really well informated about steinbergers , arent you?

Someone told me about a Spirit that owns, that has the body of an M (pre-gibson). You know this specficiations , I've been searching but I havent found anything, I think that is from 2001 (it is an speculation). If this exist and the guy didn't fool me, he says he sell it by 400€ (maybe 500$), because I don't find any info I don't feel like buying it. I'd like to know the specifications, the original price, the bridge quality (I don't want some chinese cheap faulty bridge).

The strong points and weak points.

Thanks a lot

Here I send you a really bad pic about it, that appears clearly the name spirit

post-29784-080969900 1315046536_thumb.jpg

Whoa Be.Em I've seen you by here and read you, you're really well informated about steinbergers , arent you?

I do my best :)

Those infos about ER are common knowledge at the SteinbergerWorld Yahoo group, just search the list.

Someone told me about a Spirit that owns, that has the body of an M (pre-gibson). You know this specficiations , I've been searching but I havent found anything, I think that is from 2001 (it is an speculation). If this exist and the guy didn't fool me, he says he sell it by 400€ (maybe 500$), because I don't find any info I don't feel like buying it. I'd like to know the specifications, the original price, the bridge quality (I don't want some chinese cheap faulty bridge).

The strong points and weak points.

That's a Spirit GU, and 400€ is an average price in Europe for the flamed model you've attached. Other versions are sometimes sold for less, so it depends on what exactly the guy has. It has been cheaper as long as it was sold by MusicYo ($250-$379, depending on model), but since it's no longer manufactured, prices have gone up (unlike the current Spirit line). I've attached a PDF of the original MusicYo page.

Pros and Cons? Well, it's a decent low cost guitar and looks like a Steinie. However, it's nowhere near the quality and feel of a GM. The whole Spirit line is a Gibson invention in order to serve a mass market with the headless concept. Korean made (which doesn't mean bad by default), wooden body, wooden neck, and the Steinberger R-Trem (same as on current Spirits and formerly on the GR). The R-Trem is a valid FR alternative, but not in the same league as the S- or T-Trem. Some like it, some don't, depends on your expectations. Coming from T-Trems, I don't really like it, but I'd always prefer it to any Floyd Rose out there.

Bernd

Archived