Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thejay

Marshall Class 5

Does anyone have one? Looking for a couple opinions on it. For $350 and the sales that are going on right now seems like a really cool buy.

really a cool amp, I love it, it is the first version (not possible to switch from 5 to 3W) and it is very loud [thumbup]

I have made a video with different guitar without any effect:

With a fulltone OCD:

Awel, you are a really cool guitarist! - and what a great combination the Strat and Marshall make in tone [thumbup]

Matt

Thank you Matt, that really touch me [thumbup]

Right now I feel a little lost and don't really know if I should go on, so thanks again.

Al

I have a C5 head. I'll never touch another combo again because every one I've bought/tried had that rattling issue. The head I have now is my second. The first one (bought it when they first came out) didn't sound very good - just too dark. So, I exchanged it for another and this one sounds great. Best of all, no rattle!!

Thank you Matt, that really touch me [thumbup]

Right now I feel a little lost and don't really know if I should go on, so thanks again.

Al

WHAT!!???msp_ohmy.gif

You most certainly go on!

None of this namby pamby I'm lost and don't know what to do stuff!! msp_mad.gif

You strap that sucker on, you crank every knob within reach to 11 and you hit an E chord.

The neighbors complain......... screw em!

You're late for work........ screw em!!

Your better half get impatient......... smile and give her some diamond earrings.

Just don't, repeat don't every stop playing brother.

You're under Dr. Cookies orders to keep on rockin!!msp_thumbup.gif

really a cool amp, I love it, it is the first version (not possible to switch from 5 to 3W) and it is very loud [thumbup]

With a fulltone OCD

Hi Awel,

Nice playing.

As for the Marshall C5 I have to say that, when running dry, it sounded better with the strat. Your Gibbys sounded a little bit out of tune to me on that video though....so maybe that was the problem.

My absolute favourite was the combination of the LP, the C5 and the overdrive pedal in your second vid. I really liked that tone!

Alan

There are different models now......Interesting one trick ponys....very nice indeed...

There are different models now......Interesting one trick ponys....very nice indeed...

Actually they are two trick ponys, mine sounds pretty good clean with my Tele, as well as distorted.

Does anyone have one? Looking for a couple opinions on it. For $350 and the sales that are going on right now seems like a really cool buy.

The class 5 is awsome. Great blues, classic rock tone. Here is a sample when the amp is cranked. I made this when it first came out. Im using a 2008 Les Paul standard desertburst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77GcDy9WtD4

WHAT!!???msp_ohmy.gif

You most certainly go on!

None of this namby pamby I'm lost and don't know what to do stuff!! msp_mad.gif

You strap that sucker on, you crank every knob within reach to 11 and you hit an E chord.

The neighbors complain......... screw em!

You're late for work........ screw em!!

Your better half get impatient......... smile and give her some diamond earrings.

Just don't, repeat don't every stop playing brother.

You're under Dr. Cookies orders to keep on rockin!!msp_thumbup.gif

Hey [thumbup] thank you Doctor :) My neighbors hate but that's ok I can manage them :)

Hi Awel,

Nice playing.

As for the Marshall C5 I have to say that, when running dry, it sounded better with the strat. Your Gibbys sounded a little bit out of tune to me on that video though....so maybe that was the problem.

My absolute favourite was the combination of the LP, the C5 and the overdrive pedal in your second vid. I really liked that tone!

Alan

Thanks Alan [thumbup]

Although I don't have a Class 5 several of my friends have them and swear by them,some saying that they're one of the best amps Marshall has made to date.

With a fulltone OCD:

This is probably this best video I have ever seen demonstrating an amp before. I feel like I can actually hear what the amp sounds like and how it reacts to volume changes.

i just got back from guitar center today and in my opinion this amp is terrible and has no volume. it can do one thing and that is a somewhat decent distortion thats when the amp volume is all the way up and its at talking level volume if you put the volume lower to get a clean tone you wont be able to hear it if your anywhere with any people. maybe i just tried a bad unit but it sounded terrible to me

i just got back from guitar center today and in my opinion this amp is terrible and has no volume. it can do one thing and that is a somewhat decent distortion thats when the amp volume is all the way up and its at talking level volume if you put the volume lower to get a clean tone you wont be able to hear it if your anywhere with any people. maybe i just tried a bad unit but it sounded terrible to me

"volume all the way up and its at taking level"????? That statement leads me to believe the amp power is set to "low level". The Class 5 now has a built in power attenuator which would allow you to "crank the volume up at talking level". There is a switch at the back of the amp near the headphone jack to set it to low level playing. You will not get a clean tone at the low level setting as the amp breaks up very early at this setting.

Play it again.

This is probably this best video I have ever seen demonstrating an amp before. I feel like I can actually hear what the amp sounds like and how it reacts to volume changes.

Thank you very much Stein [thumbup]

On these kind of amps I think it is how people will use it, playing with the volume to control the drive, so I find it will interesting to demonstrate it.

Al

"volume all the way up and its at taking level"????? That statement leads me to believe the amp power is set to "low level". The Class 5 now has a built in power attenuator which would allow you to "crank the volume up at talking level". There is a switch at the back of the amp near the headphone jack to set it to low level playing. You will not get a clean tone at the low level setting as the amp breaks up very early at this setting.

Play it again.

hmmm maybe your right if i see one again ill make sure to check the back for an attenuator before i try it out