Gibson Brands Forums

Lifestyle Lessons

12BarD

Forgive me for this..............I am working on the Moveable Blues Lesson by Jody Worrell in A9. Last night I also found the Pentatonic Blues Lesson by Koala Productions in A7.

Here is the biggy!!!! Can a rhythm based on A9 be combined with a scale based on A7 or does the scale have to be changed to reflect the A9????? If so, how do you do this and when do you go to it......at the turn around????

As well, I understand W & H steps as they move up and down the neck on each string. But I dont understand how it works when moving from one string to the next???? I know what I want to ask here but dont know how to ask it????

Thanks for the time and help!!!!!

Hey Jeff,

Thanks!!! As for the lesons, you can find them on Gibson's Home Page. They are under the Life Styles header or Lessons. When you get there, Fill in the info boxes..... Beginner, Guitar and then Blues.... click the update button... The Jody Worrell Lesson is on the first page and the Koala Lesson is on the last page.... Page 4 I think.

Thanks again

Ok... I'll let some one who knows theory handle the A9/A7 scale issue, but my guess is you can play certain notes of any A scale over the top. Do some investigation on modes (Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian, etc.) or better yet, if you ask R9 very nicely, he has an excellent spreadsheet that will help with scales, notes and theory. (and GAS, it has great pics!)

As far as whole and half notes goes, do this... play an open low E string, then play the A fretted at the 7th fret. You should hear that this is the same note (if your guitar is in standard tuning!). Next, fret the low E at the 7th and drop down the the A string and find that note. (Hint, it will be lower on the fretboard). Here is what I have done as I teach myself to play leads-

Play scales in 3 basic ways:

Single strings, moving up and down the fretboard.

Multiple strings, keeping the same hand position and playing between the Low E and High E.

Multiple strings, changing hand positions and moving up and down the neck

The method I use will be determined by the technique I am using, and where I am going next.

Hope this helps!

As well' date=' I understand W & H steps as they move up and down the neck on each string. But I dont understand how it works when moving from one string to the next???? I know what I want to ask here but dont know how to ask it????[/quote']

From low to high, except for the G to B string...

Moving up two frets on the same string (W) is the same as moving to the higher string and going three frets back.

This was my way of understanding it when I didn't understand...use the number 5.

using the low E and A strings:

Moving up 1 fret on the E string is the same as (5-1 = ) moving back 4 frets on the A string.

Moving up 2 frets on the E string is the same as (5-2 = ) moving back 3 frets on the A string.

Moving up 3 frets on the E string is the same as (5-3 = ) moving back 2 frets on the A string.

In standard tuning, your strings are tuned in fourths...again, except for G to B.

E to A is a fourth

A to D is a fourth

D to G is a fourth

G to B is a third

B to E is a fourth

Since G to B is a third, moving up two frets on the G string (W) is the same as moving to the B string and going back two frets.

Make sense?

I have an Excel spreadsheet that may help you. Obviously, you need Excel. I've sent it out to a lot of people and only two haven't been able to open it.

Btw, all you other guys.....I'm still waiting for my money.

Remember, that spreadsheet was being offerd for the low low price of only $29.99.

Ya bunch of deadbeat musicians.......lol!

:^o

Archived