Gibson Brands Forums

UK guitar stores and music venues

j45nick

I will be working in England for the next few weeks, and wonder if any of our UK members would have any recommendations on guitar stores or music venues to visit either in London or in/near the Plymouth (Devon) area.

Thanks for your input,

J45 Nick

In London, the main place is Denmark Street. Here you'll find a lot of stores (although some have closed due to the financial crisis) with a huge range of vintage and new gear. One thing worth mentioning though, is it's also one of the more expensive places to go.

Venue wise, it really depends on your preferred type of music, London has a huge list of venues for all types of music and clubs dedicated to certain scene's etc... Plymouth, I really couldn't say but here's hoping we have some members from that neck of the woods who can help you out.

Unfortunately, my schedule is such that I will be spending most of my time in Plymouth, but I may have some time to kill in London going and coming. I spend a lot of time in the UK, but my work schedule is such that I rarely have time to take more than a few hours to do my own things.

Not sure I would call Plymouth a "charming seaside town", but I'm usually working when I'm there, and this time is no exception.

You can't miss Denmark Street. There are 10 or 12 shops and one 2-floor store around the corner 100 meters down what might be Charing Cross Road. It isn't cheap, but you have to give it a cruise. As a guitar-turist - as a potential customer.

I hereby recommend Wunjo Guitars (with the orange facade), , , and Vintage and Rare on the opposite side of the street. Both places have a rich variety of string-instruments and – important – very good staffs. And don't arrive unaware of the hip shop-jam trend J45nick. When I was there in the spring me and my old pal went into a Donovan-jam sitting on an amp and a bench and soon a coincidental bass-player 'accomped' from the right. It did light up an atmosphere in the second room of V&R and brought me rather close to a '64 cherryburst 45*. The same guitar Don, who we were goin' to see the same night, used during his magic years from '65 to '70.

And let me remind you of a splendid yellow '68 J-200 on one of the shop-walls there. We could call it the needle in the haystack, , , or The Grail of The Street.

Give us a post from Old Lady London. Let's hear if you find it – and what you experience.

*no there's no footage of the event. . .

Dont buy anything of a vintage era from Music Ground, Hanks, or Rokas.

Their owners are being busted for selling fake stuff and stolen goods!

I think Music Ground has already been closed in Denmark street. Ivor Mairants

is based in Rathbone Place off Oxford Street.

To all,

I really do appreciate this input. While I come to the UK quite a bit, I am usually so tied up with work that I have no opportunity for music prowls, which are a favorite thing to do. Unfortunately, this trip may turn into the same thing.

FYI, I am pretty eclectic in my musical taste. I look for musical talent--preferably guitar related-- whatever the genre, and people sometimes look at me pretty strangely as the old geezer showing at venues where no one else is more than 25 years old.

And, no, I'm not just a dirty old man. Well, maybe just a little....

It's also a habit to toss a few coins in the hat of almost any guitar busker I walk by--no matter how little talent they appear to have. At least they have the guts to stand up and may noise on a wooden box with strings.

I can't cope with the closing-time in UK. I get depressed at 23 p.m. when the bars shut down. The hour around midnite is and always was time when my party-spirit begins/began to rise, and in London there's only plain discos or exclusive clubs left as the moon rolls over the sky. I can still enjoy London during the day, but the night-scene is a drag and kept me away for 20 years.

By the way, it takes a sweet young bird to define and clean up an old dirty hawk, doesn't it. . .

And I'm not talking Hummingbird here -

Archived