Gibson Brands Forums

Do you think Zakk Wylde is one of the greats of guitar playing?

dem00n

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zack Wylde is a very talented guitar player. I'm not looking for an argument but, Wow! Really?

One of the greats?

Yeah.

I'd put him on that list.

+1

I am not into his music, but recognise that he is an awesome player and think that love him or loathe him, he has his own unique style and sound. Pride and Glory and No Rest For The Wicked are stand outs to me. I much prefer his BLS stuff to his work with Ozzy though.

Matt

+1

I am not into his music, but recognise that he is an awesome player and think that love him or loathe him, he has his own unique style and sound. Pride and Glory and No Rest For The Wicked are stand outs to me. I much prefer his BLS stuff to his work with Ozzy though.

Matt

No love for the Prince of Darkness?

Did you get that show "The Osbournes" there?

No love for the Prince of Darkness?

Did you get that show "The Osbournes" there?

No love for the prince of darkness? I love Ozzy's music - 'The Osbourne's' was a big hit over here and Ozzy has become a bit of a national treasure. I am a HUGE Randy Rhoads fan, As a musician, I feel so indebted to him, he was/is my favourite Ozzy guitarist - Zakk is my least favourite of Ozzy's guitarists. I think his style is too overbearing and too bluesy for the Ozzy Osbourne sound. As a guitarist in BLS, Pride and Glory etc I think he is awesome though.

Matt

Wow, way to stereotype a guitarist.

I know, you'd rather listen to static and amateurish riffs.

Nah, not really. Most of the songs I'm drawn to lately have weird timings and weird rhythms

Everything I have heard from his is filled with pinch harmonics. I never said he was a bad player, I just don't care for him. Like I said, others do, and his name will stick around for a while

I am all about amateurish riffs though, that's what I do [biggrin]

An untimely death might put him up there, preferably caused by some sort of aeronautical incident. [biggrin]

Despite the joke, Randy Rhoads can be considered to be a 'great' IMO. Again, it's about having had an influence on the next generation's music scene, coupled with either a superb (for the time) technical ability or amazing feel to make it on to my list. So, I'm expanding my earlier list of heavy rock guitar 'greats' to:-

Hendrix (RIP)

Rhoads (RIP)

Blackmore

Iommi

Van Halen

Frehley

He let epiphone/gibson put out a guitar shaped like a li'l coffin with his name on it. Takes some huge brass balls to do so.

I think hwe can play but is not one of the greatest.

I think that was something he initially had done for himself as a one-off at the custom shop and then it later got done as a production model. Same with his V with the bullseye and that other thing that looked like a cross between a V and SG. I've noticed since just before Dimebag was murdered he was taking an interest in other guitars besides the Les Paul. In particular he was drawn to guitars that few others were known to play.

Well...at least we can all agree that he's a guitarist.

(Right now would be a perfect time for little Tman to jump in and criticize him for something asinine which makes him "not a guitarist.")

Well... he does use EMGs... so he's not a real guitarist...

Sl00sh doesn't exist, so can we be sure that Zakk Wylde exists too? URBAN LEGEND

• 4 weeks later...

zakk wylde. the man has some incredible talent, he shreds like few others and is a strong player...like forever strong.

to say he's best at his trade is not the intention of this thread (imo), but he has earned his place amongst the elite players.

i put him along side hendrix, ionni, hatfield, liefson, gilmour, page, satriani, and select others.

and i farkin love that bullseye [flapper]

[laugh]

in all honesty, there are many gifted axe-men/ladies out there, it is good to have idols push us all. i couldn't pin it down to one man, but zw would be a contender in my books.

Archived