Gibson Brands Forums

It Crawled Into My Hands, Honest

zombywoof

For quite a while now I have been on the hunt for a Gibson LG-2. Played a bunch of them from banners to the pointy pickguard varierty. But I do believe at long last the search is over. I got one here and I am thinking it's a going to be a staying - a script logo 1946 or 1947 (no FON anywhere to be seen). Just a darn nice sounding and playing little geetar.

006-1-1.jpg

009.jpg

Yeah, those damn Gibbys have a way of getting into your life. Got to watch them.........Hey, man, that is a cool guitar. Don't you love how you're leaving the guitar store, you get in your car and all of a sudden there it is next to you in the front seat? Crazy how this guitar stuff works. [thumbup] ....Congrats, my friend.

I always thought that nice feeling on the ride home was because I was sitting on a thinner wallet.

This one is in really nice condition. It was a one owner guitar - it came from the son of the guy who bought it new. Pretty much like all of my guitars, this one has a little bit of strangeness attached to it. For whatever reason the owner at one point slapped a trapeze tailpiece on it - the memory of which is kept alive by three tiny screw holes in the butt end.

People do crazy things with guitars sometimes. We all get different ideas. Whatever the original owner was thinking it probably turned-out pretty cool to him. Whatever, it looks like you've got a guitar with alot of history and mojo attached to and in it. That's the kind of guitar that gets attention---"hey, look at that old Gibson."

Dang, I bet it oozes that sweet woody. [thumbup]

Bwa-ha-ha-ha, he said woody.

I have not had alot of time with this guitar so am not totally sure what it can and can't do and am still putzing with it - string guage, more/less neck relief and so on. But to my ears this guitar fills in a nice little space between the lo-fi, gutbucket blues sound of the old Oscar Schmidt Stellas or Kay Krafts and the big banging sound of a good slope shoulder jumbo. While there are guitars I like better for playing da' blues, the LG-2 is a whole lot more versatile.

I can't really explain why I snagged this one. I pretty much just follow my gut. My thought is that things like the grain in the top wood is, slight variations in top thickness and even imperfections in the build quality all join in with the aging process to give each guitar a bit of a unique sound. This LG-2 was the loudest I had played. It has that thumping bass and full tilt mids that have kept me playing Gibsons for alot of decades. While the low end has a bit tighter sound to it than others I have played, the trebles are bit thinner so I will probably go with a bit thicker string guage on the high end to see if I can fatten it up a bit.

Archived